self defense class for kids

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put my daughters in a self defense class so
I'm wanting the opinion of SI. I've grew up street smart and always had to fight street smart. But since my girls never had to go through what I did I'm wanting them to be able to hold their own if needed. What would be a good self defense class for my girls. 10 yr old and 5 yr old

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why not, just tell them no spinkicks to the teachera head

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
cra maga, or jeet kune do, or look up the one that the mma guys do in la, from the brazillian jutizu by the gracies, it has to do with bullying, and is supposed to be good, should be plenty of places up there in ur town correct?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Honestly I've been thinking the same thing with my 11 year old daughter. I'd like her to train BJJ or something along that line. Just not that fucking Karate. I want my daughter to be able to slap on an arm bar & snap some guys elbow in two or choke some asshole out. I'm starting to look for MMA gyms in my area.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah lots of places just not real sure what's what. I never took any kind if classes. It was always do or die kinda thing. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone can tell me from experience

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
cra maga is what the israeli special forces train with along with all of LAPD, and most cops, my buddy is an instructor down in LA and luvs the shit, can fuck some people up with it, along with another buddy of mine, they teach all sorts of shit like unarming people of weapons, and stuff like that,

jeet kune do, have a buddy who did this for like 15 years and loves it, as well,

maybe just start out with the basics of boxing coupled with grappling transitioning into submissions? might be a great starting point and a quick way to stunn a mofo and throw down a choke hold, and lights out!

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
cra maga is what the israeli special forces train with along with all of LAPD, and most cops, my buddy is an instructor down in LA and luvs the shit, can fuck some people up with it, along with another buddy of mine, they teach all sorts of shit like unarming people of weapons, and stuff like that,

jeet kune do, have a buddy who did this for like 15 years and loves it, as well,

maybe just start out with the basics of boxing coupled with grappling transitioning into submissions? might be a great starting point and a quick way to stunn a mofo and throw down a choke hold, and lights out!

That's what I'm talking about! I would love for my girls to be able to take fools out! I need to get them enrolled in something.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
J248b has some good advice. Ill tell that the Gracie name is solid in BJJ and pretty good in MMA as well, even today its still respected and the bread and butter of MMA.

Their kids program is excellent, far better than anyone Ive seen working with kids. Find a Gracie school that is doing the "bully proof" program if you can. The Gracies will not put their name behind a school, or owner if they are not top notch people. And thats what you need for the kids. Something fun that addresses bullies, and school lots of other factors that may help keep them from getting expelled from school.

I am actually going to put my son in a rival school we compete with because program is so well run and most importantly effective. Your kids will have a blast. They learn basic BJJ with striking and defense of both. You may join after a while as well.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will definitely look in to it. Thanks guys

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
let me chime in here, as a life long martial artist and someone who has ran a professionaly martial arts school. If you are looking for pure self defense, nothing fancy, then Krav Maga is it. If you're looking for something along the lines of a martial art that will not only teach them how to defend themselves but also teach character developement and life goals like perservierence, attitude and things like that then you are better off going with a carriculum based school. there are plenty of those out there and it's like anythingelse, you get what you pay for. I started when I was 6 years old for medical reasons and it completly changed my life.

If you are looking for KravMaga thensearch your local area for that, if you are looking more for the other than search of an ATA martial arts school near you or check ATAonline.com

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
let me chime in here, as a life long martial artist and someone who has ran a professionaly martial arts school. If you are looking for pure self defense, nothing fancy, then Krav Maga is it. If you're looking for something along the lines of a martial art that will not only teach them how to defend themselves but also teach character developement and life goals like perservierence, attitude and things like that then you are better off going with a carriculum based school. there are plenty of those out there and it's like anythingelse, you get what you pay for. I started when I was 6 years old for medical reasons and it completly changed my life.

If you are looking for KravMaga thensearch your local area for that, if you are looking more for the other than search of an ATA martial arts school near you or check ATAonline.com

You are 100% right about Krav Maga, thats the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of wicked self defense. But I was taking into account the kids and having fun. My son still wants to wear the GIs, have fun, goof off etc. I wanted to suggest something that I could see my daughter doing. I will wait until she is older before she learns to eye gouge, and really damage people. Also in todays enviornment the way a child defends themselves is under scrutiny by schools.

No disrespect ment to any other martial art especially Krav Maga.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Former Muay Thai fighter here, couple years of BJJ and some MMA training.

I started in TKD (worthless) and switched to Kenpo (better but still largely worthless). Ended up training Thai and found it to be the most practical striking art for MMA. Would I use it in a self-defense situation? Hell no. I don't want to box the bloke trying to car-jack me.

BigGameHunter is spot-on with his thoughts on Jits. It will be entertaining and fun (very important when dealing with children) but will also prepare them for some basic confrontational situations.

Agree with DS6 re: Krav Maga for pure self-defense. No gi's, no Kata, no antiquated bladed weapons. Just brutally effective techniques which can be learned quickly and trained repeatedly. Great for an adult and good for interspersing techniques into a children's Jits class IMO.

For my own kids, I started them in Kenpo, then introduced Thai and later Jits.

I also taught them to shoot the AK-47 :)

Make it fun for them and they'll stick with it.

Good on ya' for preparing your family.

- Savage

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You are 100% right about Krav Maga, thats the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of wicked self defense. But I was taking into account the kids and having fun. My son still wants to wear the GIs, have fun, goof off etc. I wanted to suggest something that I could see my daughter doing. I will wait until she is older before she learns to eye gouge, and really damage people. Also in todays enviornment the way a child defends themselves is under scrutiny by schools.

No disrespect ment to any other martial art especially Krav Maga.

that is why i said they may wantmore of a traditional martial art like Jiu-jitsu or tae kwon do. Trust me, from personal experience of being instructor, all kids want to do is wear the belt and uniform and kick shit, break board. ext...

As said, i have been doing this since i was 6 yrs old and i'm now 34 so it's been for the better part of my life in various schools, dojo's ext.

I have tried almost any style you can think of and there is something to be learned and taken from every style. Personaly, as far as younger children go, from my experience jiu-jitsu is not a very good rout for the fact that it's close to wrestling and like i said, most kids want to do the tradditional kata, spar, weapons and such. I've heard people say that traditional martial arts are pointless but that is bullshit. am i going to do a jump spinning hook kick to a guy in a street fight? probably not but they are stiull very effective if you find the right school and instructor. After training in Tae Kwon do for almost 20yrs I ventured into Muay Thai when i ws in the military. Actually went to Thailand for a summer to train and learn and I got mad props for my kciking ability that came from proper TKD trianing.

Not trying to disrespect anyone or any style here, everyone has their own personal opinion and prefference on what works or what they like and I myself am a martial artist and have a high respect for all the arts.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Theres a kid I know that is an accomplished BB in TKD and he axe kicked me (think thats what he called it) right on my collar bone and I thought it was broke.

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Theres a kid I know that is an accomplished BB in TKD and he axe kicked me (think thats what he called it) right on my collar bone and I thought it was broke.

yep, i've broken many collar bones with that in tournements. no joke!

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
4 I think it's a great idea , they learn how to defend themselves and get to have fun. Maybe if u can take them to a free lesson of each art then they can help u choose which style they like.

New Threads