Basic self defense class for lazy/busy people

cavorite

Reaction score
I'm back in the US, and apparently a tent city has opened up near my GF's place in DC. We've both been harassed multiple times already by the new "neighbors".

It occurs to me that I don't know anything about fighting. I feel like I should know how to throw an effective punch or subdue an attacker.

I'm not trying to learn MMA or anything – I just want to be able to handle myself if something happens. And not spend a ton of time learning it.

Would Krav maga be helpful?

There are tons of youtube videos, but that's no substitute for actual practice.

mabdelrasoul

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I try not to waste anytime, grab , slam, punch holes through face!

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I'd check to see if there is a decent mma gym in your area and see if they have classes geared towards self defence.

Proper fighting technique isnt something you can just take 1 or 2 classes on. You'd need to train in it specifically somewhat regularly for it to be useful at all because of an elevated adrenaline scenario, you aren't going to remember some 30m class from the Y.

I wouldn't waste your time with krav maga or any single discipline for that matter, as again, they take a long time to be able to use in any meaningful situation.

Self defense for untrained people pretty much goes:

No weapon? Bigger guy wins.
Weapon? Person without weapon loses.

Obviously, the best self defense is simply retreating. It's not flashy or manly, but neither is rolling around on the street with a smelly aids ridden drug addict.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Most folks , can't fight. Good boxing skills and time sparring in the the ring will get your confidence up and get you going in the right direction. Then you can branch out into fancier things like BJJ or Muay Thai , Sanda [ chinese boxing ]

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Most folks , can't fight. Good boxing skills and time sparring in the the ring will get your confidence up and get you going in the right direction. Then you can branch out into fancier things like BJJ or Muay Thai , Sanda [ chinese boxing ]

Might not even have to hit a person, a few slips and unders they will get tired fast!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
The one thing that tires people the fastest is missed punches, the common person will last less than 1 minute missing punches before the wind is taking from them.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Studied kenpo for years , running is always the good idea haahahaah

catch it , lock it , break it , give it back

I took American Kenpo for over year, boxing a little longer, not much but something.

I'll always remember these 2 things told to me.

1. From Kenp:

If you are outnumbered turn and run, if you just knocked the fuck out of someone and they magically pop back up, turn and RUN.

2. From Boxing:

You can box now, now you have to be very careful because you now can hurt someone really bad with a punch. You couldn't box and didn't know how to punch, you're a big guy and can hurt someone now.

With that said, I avoid fighting because my chances are great to end up with someone with the same skill level that taught me, I can't compete with that.

I can fight those that can't fight, those that trained longer and with greater skills are kinda unbeatable.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I took American Kenpo for over year, boxing a little longer, not much but something.

I'll always remember these 2 things told to me.

1. From Kenp:

If you are outnumbered turn and run, if you just knocked the fuck out of someone and they magically pop back up, turn and RUN.

2. From Boxing:

You can box now, now you have to be very careful because you now can hurt someone really bad with a punch. You couldn't box and didn't know how to punch, you're a big guy and can hurt someone now.

With that said, I avoid fighting because my chances are great to end up with someone with the same skill level that taught me, I can't compete with that.

I can fight those that can't fight, those that trained longer and with greater skills are kinda unbeatable.
Grandfather was a light heavy weight golden gloves boxer , he taught us. I was ok at the pub or in the parking lot but I'm sure no boxer , true south paw , I block punches with my face.

Kenpo I got into through a friend that was very skilled in it and other arts. When we moved I found a place near and started it up. Great stuff

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
All bullshit advice. Fuck these guys. Bunch of wannabes.

Permit to carry and carry at all times. There’s no fighting people that are unpredictable and have nothing to lose. Like @silentlemon1011 said, RUN. But if you can’t run, shoot to drop them. There’s rarely second chances. Especially for your girl.
He's in DC. Might as well be cuba.

Good luck getting a permit any time this decade. I've been waiting for over 18 months for mine in jersey

Reaction score
I second the concealed carry permit.

I was in your situation a few years back and started training with an awesome trainer. It's been an incredible learning experience.

It's more expensive to hire a trainer. The cheaper route is to sign up for classes at a local gym. The best things to learn these days are Muy Thai amd BJJ. Combination of those two will help you deal with anyone.

Muy Thai is going to cover your boxing and kicking, footwork, BJJ is going to be ground work, wrestling and submission.

I'd start with the Muy Thai or boxing to get your footwork down. Then move onto BJJ.

Also take some self defense shooting classes if you can.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fuck what everyone has said

Buy a fucken taser and carry mace then just start tunning up and down tent city macing everyone and tase the shit outa anyone that makes it out of the tents….

Seriously id get a taser, and a beater stick… they cant do shit if they are knocked unconscious from a big lead pipe

Reaction score
Get a burner and pop a couple of those fuckers. Clear out and set up shop. Make it your hood. Set their shit on fire. Let em know whats up.

New Threads