[Advise needed] Bottle Top Filtration.

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you see Im new here. Just been looking over the internet about easier way to filter (I found this forum with loads of nice information), I'm quite tired filtering with syringe and filters... I dont even do a lot, just personal and for a few friends, but even so the process is annoying especially when the filter starts going slower.

So I saw Bottle top filtration, looks interesting, I can google the setup and things just have some questions.
Even If the vendor says its sterile we have to clean it after every use. Which way do you guys clean it? For the vials and beekers I have a small sterilization machine which I use everytime Im doing to do some gear. But the actuall bottle thing would be too big.

I dont want me or especially any of my friends getting an infection thanks to me.

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you see Im new here. Just been looking over the internet about easier way to filter (I found this forum with loads of nice information), I'm quite tired filtering with syringe and filters... I dont even do a lot, just personal and for a few friends, but even so the process is annoying especially when the filter starts going slower.

So I saw Bottle top filtration, looks interesting, I can google the setup and things just have some questions.
Even If the vendor says its sterile we have to clean it after every use. Which way do you guys clean it? For the vials and beekers I have a small sterilization machine which I use everytime Im doing to do some gear. But the actuall bottle thing would be too big.

I dont want me or especially any of my friends getting an infection thanks to me.

You need to post up a lot more details and some pictures of current setup would be most helpful.

Also what kind of filtration system are you referring to cause bottle top filters are single use applications that are discarded after use.

Reaction score
If you're only producing a few hundred mls now and then I'd suggest you stick to sterile vials and syringe filter and just build yourself a syringe press. Here's some photos to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Screenshot_20220303-115439_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220303-114912_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
No pictures of setup as my current setup for filtering is hands, syringe and syringe filters - straight into the 10ml sterile vial.

I saw the gun method and then saw the bottle top method, I thought they were reusable, my bad. So I guess Ill try the gun method, the thing is I filter into the vial without the rubber stopper on, when the 10 ml is in the vial I crimp the top on.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
So I guess Ill try the gun method, the thing is I filter into the vial without the rubber stopper on, when the 10 ml is in the vial I crimp the top on.

If you sterilized the open headed vial it's dealers choice.... really depends on presentation, if your giving it to friends I'm sure they'd like the caps on... it's a visual secure thing but personal use it's on you

I'd get sterile sealed vials and just pierce the stopper with the filtration gun like that because by the odd chance I make a move a something slips there no way in the name fuxk shxt that the vial will spill...

Reaction score
No pictures of setup as my current setup for filtering is hands, syringe and syringe filters - straight into the 10ml sterile vial.

I saw the gun method and then saw the bottle top method, I thought they were reusable, my bad. So I guess Ill try the gun method, the thing is I filter into the vial without the rubber stopper on, when the 10 ml is in the vial I crimp the top on.

Your method isn't remotely sterile and sooner or later someone is going to get a nasty infection!

Spend a couple bucks and buy sealed, sterile vials and filter into those.

No disrespect brother, but you should probably quit brewing ESPECIALLY for other people until you have a better grasp on what the hell you're doing and how to do it safely and correctly.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
No disrespect brother, but you should probably quit brewing ESPECIALLY for other people until you have a better grasp on what the hell you're doing and how to do it safely and correctly.

Ehh, I have a differing opinion

When I started brewing I heated my compounds in a microwave...than I moved up to a better heating method...stove top with beaker in water before I knew you could just place the thing directly on a glass top

You gotta start somewhere...hands on experience is better than trying to figure out random post about proper technique when everyone has their own.

I've never once gotten an infection and I used to smoke while brewing...

I understand the concern about sterility during the process but realistically it's blown away the fuxk out of proportion...I had guys telling me brewing a small batch in the kitchen I needed some pharmaceutical type exhaust or some b/s...yea 🙄 right... Or invest in some specific scientific heating apparatus for vial and beakers, i forget the name of the thing

Anyway

Getting to the point OP you're fine... it's just time you update your methods

Reaction score
Ehh, I have a differing opinion

When I started brewing I heated my compounds in a microwave...than I moved up to a better heating method...stove top with beaker in water before I knew you could just place the thing directly on a glass top

You gotta start somewhere...hands on experience is better than trying to figure out random post about proper technique when everyone has their own.

I've never once gotten an infection and I used to smoke while brewing...

I understand the concern about sterility during the process but realistically it's blown away the fuxk out of proportion...I had guys telling me brewing a small batch in the kitchen I needed some pharmaceutical type exhaust or some b/s...yea 🙄 right... Or invest in some specific scientific heating apparatus for vial and beakers, i forget the name of the thing

Anyway

Getting to the point OP you're fine... it's just time you update your methods

Filtering into open(probably not sterilized properly)vials without the use of a flow hood is a big no no and absolutely reckless!

Reaction score
Caulk gun. The best damn one that your Home Depot or Lowes carries. Easy as can be. Get a 30 ml syringe and sterile sealed vials. Poke the stopper and give the caulk gun a gentle squeeze. Everything is sealed off and sterile. You can do it while open-mouthed staring at the TV.

Bottle top filters would be better when you start doing 250 ml batches. It doesn’t sound like you are near that point yet. It wouldn’t make sense for you to buy the more expensive filters to run such a small amount thru them.

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks all of you for your replies and thats why I am here, I wanted to learn more.

About the vials. Yes for personal use I dont care if vial has the top on or not, but If Im giving to frieds and they see it open its like you say doesnt look as tustful. If I buy sealed vials, can a top be placed on them? If yes then GREAT.

I currently put beakers and vials into the autoclave to sterilize. So I dont think Its that "reckless" no?

If its not possible to put the top on an already sealed vial then which is the way to go? A flow hood?

Thanks

EDIT: What about if I put the rubber stoppers on the vials as soon as I take the vial out of the autoclave? I mean the rubber stoppers come off easy without the top being crimped on yet so Ill have to be extra careful if this is the case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks all of you for your replies and thats why I am here, I wanted to learn more.

About the vials. Yes for personal use I dont care if vial has the top on or not, but If Im giving to frieds and they see it open its like you say doesnt look as tustful. If I buy sealed vials, can a top be placed on them? If yes then GREAT.

I currently put beakers and vials into the autoclave to sterilize. So I dont think Its that "reckless" no?

If its not possible to put the top on an already sealed vial then which is the way to go? A flow hood?

Thanks

EDIT: What about if I put the rubber stoppers on the vials as soon as I take the vial out of the autoclave? I mean the rubber stoppers come off easy without the top being crimped on yet so Ill have to be extra careful if this is the case.

What kind of autoclave do you have?

Reaction score
So this is what I did yesteday, the vials are supposed to already be clean and come in a sealed environment.
I dipped them in isopropyl alcohol and then rinsed them in destilled water. After that I put them in the autoclave at 430F for 45 minutes. The same process with the stoppers but the stoppers I put them in the autoclave when 20 minutes where left as I was afraid they would degrade. While vials and rubbers where still hot I placed the rubber stoppers on the vial. And then the filtering was done by syringe into the rubber stopper with the vial being sealed.

Its a dry heat autoclave.
I mean again, if not 100% correct I am trying to do it better and thats why I am here. I could buy pre-sterilized vials but I cant crimp the plastic top on itself. Its not the money what Is an issue here.

Reaction score
Amazon sells these crimper for 42$. I tried to post a link, but not yet.

Reaction score
Its a dry heat autoclave.
Hey I am interested in the equipment. Can you tell me more about this autoclave,, make and model?
I have been looking for one of these with no luck. There are lots of tattoo equipment sterilizers, but they lack the heat nessasary.

Reaction score
Hey I am interested in the equipment. Can you tell me more about this autoclave,, make and model?
I have been looking for one of these with no luck. There are lots of tattoo equipment sterilizers, but they lack the heat nessasary.
Can anybody help with a test E raw supplier that ships to the usa? Looking to make my own homebrew with a friend. Thanks

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Can anybody help with a test E raw supplier that ships to the usa? Looking to make my own homebrew with a friend. Thanks
We are not a source board. Asking for a source is a bannable offense.

Anyone who contacts you now is likely going to scam you. It's not unheard of and has happened before.

Don't ask for sources again.

Reaction score
We are not a source board. Asking for a source is a bannable offense.

Anyone who contacts you now is likely going to scam you. It's not unheard of and has happened before.

Don't ask for sources again.
New to this wasnt aware. Thank you for heads up