Collegen Protein

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Anybody have success taking this for joint support? Anybody try it and think it is garbage? Post thoughts and experiences.

If I do take this for joint support, do I count grams of protein towards daily macros?

Thanks as always, a living wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I add 5g of gelatin into my protein shakes. Can't say I've actually noticed a difference. I don't know if collagen peptides provide any benefits over just using gelatin.

@CJ I think I've heard you talk about this before?

beefnewton

Reaction score
I drink 8 ounces of Butcher's Bone Broth every morning for collagen. You can make your own fairly easily in an InstaPot, which will end up loaded with collagen with some good bones. It's a pain in the ass, though, so I just pay the premium for Butcher's. It's good enough. The powders may be better, though. I just found a product that works excluding my own and keep going with what I know.

If you do want to try Butcher's, the Beef and Turkey versions taste pretty bad. You'll need to add salt or just down it quuckly. Chicken is the best. They should all be relatively thick before heating.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I add 5g of gelatin into my protein shakes. Can't say I've actually noticed a difference. I don't know if collagen peptides provide any benefits over just using gelatin.

@CJ I think I've heard you talk about this before?
Yes, I do it on occasion. I don't notice anything either, but I also don't have joint issues.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Bone broth, collagen (as hydrolosate....aka peptides), gelatin, etc all good and necessary for your joints. In a lot of Asian countries, where eating the connective tissue like cartilage, tendon, ligament is common, you will see fewer joint related health problems.

In the USA, and a lot of other first world countries, people have gotten away from eating organs and connective tissue.

It's definitely crucial, but not a Band-Aid fix. Think of it like a necessary vitamin that you take every day. This is something that you do as a tonic for long-term bone, skin and joint health. It absolutely makes a difference.

I tend to buy collagen from a couple of different sources, but for collagen peptides, I buy it from Great Lakes, in the 8 pound bag. It's just a lot cheaper that way.

It's important to get all of the types of collagen, so other sources are key.

Also, don't be afraid to eat that cartilage and ligament and tendon! Chew that shit! (Or make bone broth out of it)

New Threads