Coming off HCTZ

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been on 12.5mg HCTZ but planning to come off as I’ve been dehydrated.

has anyone ever stopped cold turkey? Did they get a rebound of water retention?

Reaction score
I have never used it, but yes, you should expect an increase in water retention. I assume that you're taking it for BP control; if so, will you switch to a different drug?

HCTZ can be rough in the summer months. How much water are you drinking per day? Are you supplementing sodium, potassium, and magnesium?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been on 12.5mg HCTZ but planning to come off as I’ve been dehydrated.

I came off it once when I ran out. I take it with lisinopril. Yes, I did get some water retention when I stopped but it was not horrible.

Like the other guy said it really depends on if you are taking for BP or if you have just been taking to drop excess water for a period of time (for a show or whatever). If for BP def talk your doctor first and I would take doctor advice over anyone here on how to handle.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score

If you have really been dehydrated, watch your electrolyte values.... particularly potassium.

Low electrolyte levels can cause quite a few health issues.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Simple google search shows that hctz does have a rebound effect so either talk to your doctor or taper down.

Reaction score
I came off it once when I ran out. I take it with lisinopril. Yes, I did get some water retention when I stopped but it was not horrible.

Like the other guy said it really depends on if you are taking for BP or if you have just been taking to drop excess water for a period of time (for a show or whatever). If for BP def talk your doctor first and I would take doctor advice over anyone here on how to handle.
What dose were you on? Was the water systemic or edema like in the legs?

I was taking it for BP, but have been going hypotensive.

New Threads