Doing a Cycle with TRT

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I thought 3 sets of 6 and progressive overload was what worked.
It depends upon how you perform 3 sets of 6.

That in of itself means very little. Are you using the same weight every set, adding weight, dropping weight? Why are you stopping at 6 reps, how close are you to failure on these 6 reps?

Reaction score
It depends upon how you perform 3 sets of 6.

That in of itself means very little. Are you using the same weight every set, adding weight, dropping weight? Why are you stopping at 6 reps, how close are you to failure on these 6 reps?
I should say 4 to 6 reps. If I did 6 reps on the same weight I would try to bump up the weight next time. Of course if I was not able to get 4 reps on the higher weight I would drop the weight back and focus on technique and do the reps slower.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I should say 4 to 6 reps. If I did 6 reps on the same weight I would try to bump up the weight next time. Of course if I was not able to get 4 reps on the higher weight I would drop the weight back and focus on technique and do the reps slower.

Change it to 6-8 for compounds, maybe even higher for isolation lifts. There's no magic rep number to grow muscle. They say anything from 5-30 reps will grow muscle, I'd stay in the 6-25 range.

I'll ask again, do you use the same weight each set, or do you add or lower weight each set?

Reaction score
I'll ask again, do you use the same weight each set, or do you add or lower weight each set?
Same weight generally, but if an exercise was too hard I would go down in weight.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Same weight generally, but if an exercise was too hard I would go down in weight.

Ok, so you do 1 hard, possibly 2 sets per exercise. The first set is just a warmup/acclimation set.

So that means overall, you're doing 4-6 sets per week, per body part, and not even doing optimal exercises.

That low of a volume could be fine for someone who's advanced, really has a feel for their muscles working, and is using such heavy weights that that's all that they need. That's not you, or myself for that matter, we need more.

You're doing much too little volume, plain and simple. And only count HARD sets that are close to failure. A good metric if if during the last rep or two of a set, the weight slows down involuntarily, meaning that you're still pushing hard, but the weights slow down anyway, then that's a good set. Don't fool yourself either, if you just move the weight slowly intentionally that not the same. You have to get close to failure.

A good way to add a little more, would be to do a down set after the 3x6-8. Lower the weight from your last set, and do a final set, after resting of course, of 10-15. So you'd have 3 x 6-8, then 1 x 10-15.

Or you could do a real 3x6-8. Build up to a hard set of 6-8. Rest, then lower weight for set #2 and do another hard 6-8. Rest, then lower the weight for a final hard set of 6-8. It might look like 100 x 7, 90 x 6, 80 x 8. Treat each set independently. When that set gets out of range, add a small amount of weight.

If you wanted to do 3 sets of the same weight, you'd have to widen out your rep target. If you really do a hard set of 6, there's no way you'd be able to perform 6 reps on the next set, you'd get 4 if you were lucky, and probably only 2 on the final set. Expand that rep range out to 6-12.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or you could do a real 3x6-8. Build up to a hard set of 6-8. Rest, then lower weight for set #2 and do another hard 6-8. Rest, then lower the weight for a final hard set of 6-8. It might look like 100 x 7, 90 x 6, 80 x 8. Treat each set independently. When that set gets out of range, add a small amount of weight.
I always thought that if I took a set to failure, the target muscle would be too exhausted to continue any more sets. Something a PT told me 20 years ago. But I will try your method of hard sets.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I always thought that if I took a set to failure, the target muscle would be too exhausted to continue any more sets. Something a PT told me 20 years ago. But I will try your method of hard sets.
So if you do a set failure, then that muscle becomes paralyzed? 🤔😉

Again, though, there's a MASSIVE difference between you taking a set tu failure vs someone who's far stronger and advanced.

I know that you think that you're going to failure, we all did at that stage, but failure is a learned/acquired skill. Our brains do not let us actually go to failure, but as we try to more and more over years and years, our brains let us push a little further and further.

Reaction score
So if you do a set failure, then that muscle becomes paralyzed? 🤔😉
No, I was not going to failure. Hey when you pay a PT why would you not beleive the guy? Another PT said no point flogging a dead horse.

Set to failure I can do, but I don't exactly have a spotter following me around to take the weight off me at the gym. I can use the spotting arms for bench press, but for others I will need to get creative, maybe use the smiths machine for the overhead stuff.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
No, I was not going to failure. Hey when you pay a PT why would you not beleive the guy? Another PT said no point flogging a dead horse.

Set to failure I can do, but I don't exactly have a spotter following me around to take the weight off me at the gym. I can use the spotting arms for bench press, but for others I will need to get creative, maybe use the smiths machine for the overhead stuff.
Failure can mean form failure as well the point when you can no longer complete a clean rep properly ,, its not about going until the bar smashes you in the face

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, just realistic. Look at your pictures, do you REALLY think that what you're doing is working?

Reaction score
Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, just realistic. Look at your pictures, do you REALLY think that what you're doing is working?
I made it clear that I needed help with routine and form in my original post. Yes, I have seen a massive difference in my body over this past year. No doubt most of that was muscle recomp and Test. So yes I see a huge improvement to get to this look of someone that's never worked out.

I don't know what I said to make you think that I disagree with you and my way works. I am humble enough to ask for help and try advice, but I am caught up with details like when you want to do another rep and push but have nothing left and no spotter.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I made it clear that I needed help with routine and form in my original post. Yes, I have seen a massive difference in my body over this past year. No doubt most of that was muscle recomp and Test. So yes I see a huge improvement to get to this look of someone that's never worked out.

I don't know what I said to make you think that I disagree with you and my way works. I am humble enough to ask for help and try advice, but I am caught up with details like when you want to do another rep and push but have nothing left and no spotter.

I never said to go beyond failure. Not one single time did I say that, so perhaps you should go back and read my posts again.

I said that you're not doing enough work overall, and that what you're doing is inappropriate for your level.

Reaction score
perhaps you should go back and read my posts again.
Just did. You said hard reps close to failure.
I said that you're not doing enough work overall, and that what you're doing is inappropriate for your level.
I agree with you and I am taking your advice on 6 to 8 hard reps and lowering the weight to do each set. I will adjust my exercise routine when I get time on the weekend.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just did. You said hard reps close to failure.

I agree with you and I am taking your advice on 6 to 8 hard reps and lowering the weight to do each set. I will adjust my exercise routine when I get time on the weekend.

And be consistent.

You stated that your 5 day split often turns into only 3-4 workouts in a week.

If 5 days is unrealistic, cut back to a 4 day split and do it consistently. A good plan done consistently is better than the perfect plan done inconsistently.

buck

Reaction score
No reason to change what is already working. wait till gains stop. Trying to throw gear at something as opposed to optimizing food and training. Is the wrong approach. Most people's ideas of close to failure or real failure is far short of what failure actually is in my experience. Trying to fail will get better results for most as they have no clue how short of failure they may actually be.

GreatGunz

Elite
Reaction score
Ok lemme point out a different angle Bro!
You are on test this does give you an advantage because your test is at a decent number………
Stick around grow a thick skin ,And learn how to become thick as fuk!

Don’t let our deliveries side track what we are after right!!

It’s worth hanging out here…

Reaction score
you arent going to failure. if youre hitting the same weight for the same reps 3 times it's not to failure. look at someone like @Oakley6575 's log. he does 2 sets with the same weight, but the second set yields fewer reps because the muscle's already beat down from the first set.

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert but I have found what works best for me is at a minimum sticking to the following formula:

1. Train each muscle group twice per week (I do this for all except legs via a PPLPP routine)
2. I do 3 exercises per muscle group and 4 sets per exercise per workout.
3. Each set I do AMRAP, when I can get 8 reps for all 4 sets I up the weight.

I will run this for 12-16 weeks or until progress stalls. My plan at that time is to take a week or 2 and do a typical 5 day bro split with lighter weight and higher reps to somewhat deload. After that period I'll mix up the exercises in my PPLPP and do it again. I log everything in an app called persist.

With all that being said my TRT and that routine did not mean shit until I really locked in my diet and committed to this lifestyle. I pride myself that at almost 50 I'm up at 0400 and at the gym by 0445-0500 grinding away. With work, kids, and a wife if I don't prioritize my training life can quickly take up that time. It's nice to know that by the time 0700 rolls around that I have already had one hell of a set with the iron and logged at least 30 minutes of cardio.

All the routines, supplements, and PEDs in the world will not make a difference if you don't get the other parts of the equation (diet and consistency) right.

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert but I have found what works best for me is at a minimum sticking to the following formula:

1. Train each muscle group twice per week (I do this for all except legs via a PPLPP routine)
2. I do 3 exercises per muscle group and 4 sets per exercise per workout.
3. Each set I do AMRAP, when I can get 8 reps for all 4 sets I up the weight.

I will run this for 12-16 weeks or until progress stalls. My plan at that time is to take a week or 2 and do a typical 5 day bro split with lighter weight and higher reps to somewhat deload. After that period I'll mix up the exercises in my PPLPP and do it again. I log everything in an app called persist.

With all that being said my TRT and that routine did not mean shit until I really locked in my diet and committed to this lifestyle. I pride myself that at almost 50 I'm up at 0400 and at the gym by 0445-0500 grinding away. With work, kids, and a wife if I don't prioritize my training life can quickly take up that time. It's nice to know that by the time 0700 rolls around that I have already had one hell of a set with the iron and logged at least 30 minutes of cardio.

All the routines, supplements, and PEDs in the world will not make a difference if you don't get the other parts of the equation (diet and consistency) right.
PPLPP - What is that? Push Pull Legs Push Pull?
I use Jefit to log my workout.
Am going to try and update my routine today ready for next week.

Reaction score
Mon: Pull
Pulldown targeting Lats
Row targeting Mid Back
Another Back exercise
Barbell Curl
Preacher Curl

Tue: Push
A Flat Press
An Incline Press
Dips, machine or free weight
Overhead Tricep Movement
Rope Cable Triceps press downs

Thur: Legs
Leg Curls
Squats or Leg Press
Back Hypers
Leg Exts
Calfs

Fri: Shoulders/Arms
Shoulder Press
DB or Machine Laterals
Rear Delts on Pec Deck
Favorite Bis exercise
Favorite Tris exercise

That's just a list of exercises, sets and reps and proximity to failure, and progression model are other variables that are just as important. Don't be the 3 sets of 10 guy.
For Monday "Another Back exercise" I have added Close Grip Cable Row.
For Tuesday "A Flat Press" I have added Bench Press (Wide Grip).
For Thursday "Squats or Leg Press" I will try Squats but something about the movement is so uncomfortable for me. My legs are longer in proportion to my body so maybe that's it.
For Friday "Favorite Bis exercise" I have added Cable Bicep Curl and for "Favorite Tris exercise" I added Barbell Bench Press (Close Grip).