First Meet, August 7 2021

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Plenty of reasons. How can root your feet to the floor with those shoes falling apart.
I'm always spreading and twisting outward when I drive so that hole hasn't affected my foot plant.

Reaction score
Is this one suitable? Can I get one with wider material where it goes over my shoulders?

https://inzernet.com/products/singlet?variant=22455114170453

Go to the USAPL website and read the rules. That’s always been the biggest complaint about that federation because they have SO many kind of weird rules.

I’m not sure if they updated it but for the longest time they wouldn’t allow singlets with logos over a certain size. Also, the singlets need to be USAPL approved.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Also, is there any reason I shouldn't wear these shoes?

3ad6db4e979272c89f9e9c06bb01245f.jpg

Well I'm not sure even I would use those. Lol . Still, I have always squatted in running sneakers. There's nothing wrong with it.

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
I just did my first meet in Feb, so I’m familiar with USAPL rules enough and have my second meet in July.

You CAN and NEED to wear underwear. They have to be TIGHTY WHITEY style briefs. Not boxers, not boxer briefs. I wore nicer black ones but can’t go down leg.

You need better shoes for planting your feet.

Strategize on what your three attempts look like, consider a handler/buddy. You have 90 seconds after your lift to adjust numbers for next lift, if you’re likely to miss out like I did with the adrenaline pumping.

Hydrate and bring snacks. Rest up. Warm up.

I never practiced in my singlet and it was fine. Get a tan.

My singlet was from Stoic and is a USAPL approved one, I like the look, more modern and clean than the bigger logos. They have a sick army green one now.

All of your attire must be USAPL approved, but due to Covid they are doing visual rather than more hands on approval of undies. Tee shirt should be regular cotton and logo free unless a USAPL approved logo. My gym was meet’s location and therefore their merch was fine.

I just read some of the rules.

I cant wear underwear? And I have to carry a KG / LB conversion chart because I have to give my weights in KG? I've never even seen a KG plate.

https://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifters-corner/new-lifter-tips/

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I just did my first meet in Feb, so I’m familiar with USAPL rules enough and have my second meet in July.

You CAN and NEED to wear underwear. They have to be TIGHTY WHITEY style briefs. Not boxers, not boxer briefs. I wore nicer black ones but can’t go down leg.

You need better shoes for planting your feet.

Strategize on what your three attempts look like, consider a handler/buddy. You have 90 seconds after your lift to adjust numbers for next lift, if you’re likely to miss out like I did with the adrenaline pumping.

Hydrate and bring snacks. Rest up. Warm up.

I never practiced in my singlet and it was fine. Get a tan.

My singlet was from Stoic and is a USAPL approved one, I like the look, more modern and clean than the bigger logos. They have a sick army green one now.

All of your attire must be USAPL approved, but due to Covid they are doing visual rather than more hands on approval of undies. Tee shirt should be regular cotton and logo free unless a USAPL approved logo. My gym was meet’s location and therefore their merch was fine.
Thanks for that info. I definitely will not have anyone with me, I'll be alone. I'll order new shoes, undies, tee shirt and singlet.

My belt is ok, right?
f89d38f287e8a75773ad90f8f72263d4.jpg

Reaction score

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
After reading those rules I am much more confused than I was before.

So I am required to wear socks that cover my shins for deadlifting?
d155a3202125d5eea1322c4f5e0850f5.jpg

Reaction score
After reading those rules I am much more confused than I was before.

So I am required to wear socks that cover my shins for deadlifting?
d155a3202125d5eea1322c4f5e0850f5.jpg

Yes. But they can’t be too long and they can’t be too short. ****ing crazy huh?!

The biggest complaint about the USAPL is all the crazy rules.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Yes. But they can’t be too long and they can’t be too short. ****ing crazy huh?!

The biggest complaint about the USAPL is all the crazy rules.
Do I have to wear different socks for squat and press?

Reaction score
Do I have to wear different socks for squat and press?

Nah. There’s nothing specific for those two lifts. So you can wear same socks as deadlifts or whatever normal socks you feel comfortable wearing.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Is it legal to use a belt for bench press? Is there any reason to?

Reaction score
Is it legal to use a belt for bench press? Is there any reason to?

You can use a belt during bench or not. Whichever you prefer. Most do.

I usually wear a belt on max effort. Your entire body should be tight throughout any compound movement. So just like you wear a belt in squat to keep your core tight, same for bench.

Give it a try on a training day to see what you think.

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
BBBG- whats up bro! Good to see you here.

I usually wear a belt on max effort. Your entire body should be tight throughout any compound movement. So just like you wear a belt in squat to keep your core tight, same for bench.

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
I used to when I was lifting super heavy and younger. Now I dont but I would probably bench a little better and have more support.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Since my bench suffered a lot at my practice meet because of having to pause at the bottom, would anyone recommend I do pause sets for all of my bench training between now and the meet?

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
The fact that the usapl has rules governing what kind of underwear you can wear should give you pause. Congrats on signing up for your first meet. My first was also a usapl meet but I moved to the APF shortly after and never looked back. Meets are stressful enough and worrying about your underwear should be the last thing on your mind. Go and have fun, learn a ton and then go lift in a federation that is, well, more fun and lifter centric. Also, this may sound obvious, but don’t forget to eat on meet day. I thought I could survive on carb drinks all day. Big mistake.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I weight 206 and my class limit is 206. If I weigh in at 207 does this mean I am eliminated rather than bumped up to the next weight class?
31383afed73e832e0f260694ee3640a2.jpg

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
No you'll just have to compete in the higher weight class. Shedding a few pounds shouldn't be very hard if you are dead set at competing in a specific class.

Reactions: Jin

New Threads