Front Squats

Reaction score
Just started back Squatting again, I find this great exercise and I'm keeping better form on front squats than back squats I can actually feel it and see it.

Though, when I sweet, bar rolly polly comes into play and I was just wondering a big lad named Adam Dowling suggested using a Front Squat Harness, anyone used this or similar. My concern is maybe it might pinch my already shoulder issue by mistake or something?

I see it's available on Iron Edge YouTube, but not their web site.

Only reason looking at something like it as with current shoulder issues, though I am still going to progress at Front Squat until need arises.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What grip are you currently using?

If you can tolerate it, I found that taking the time to develop a solid front rack (olympic) position makes the front squat significantly more comfortable and efficient

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The bar is rolling when you're sweaty? Wear a shirt.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

If you can tolerate it, I found that taking the time to develop a solid front rack (olympic) position makes the front squat significantly more comfortable and efficient
Stretching your triceps and lats before you front squat will help greatly with getting into a good front rack position.

And wrist stretches.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of front squats. Try a slant board with rear squats, you'll thank me later.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
If it's rolling, your form is breaking down.

Elbows up.
This. Elbows up, chest proud and don’t let your upper back round. You want the bar to sit on the shelf created by your anterior delts.

If you can’t maintain your form, lower the weight because you’re using too much.

If you can’t do a full rack, use lifting straps looped around the bar until you can develop the flexibility to do a full rack. There are some strong motherfuckers who use the cross armed grip, but I don’t recommend it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

And if you lack wrist flexibility then widen your grip. This will make it easier to rack the bar properly. Using the Oly Style will make it easier to keep your chest up and your back upright/ tight.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
This. Elbows up, chest proud and don’t let your upper back round. You want the bar to sit on the shelf created by your anterior delts.

If you can’t maintain your form, lower the weight because you’re using too much.

If you can’t do a full rack, use lifting straps looped around the bar until you can develop the flexibility to do a full rack. There are some strong motherfuckers who use the cross armed grip, but I don’t recommend it.
Like this:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Yessir.

Also, holy shit. That guy buried that front squat. I have a pretty good front squat but damn…
Rob had the potential to go far in lifting but Broz didn't like that he wouldn't give up everything in the pursuit of Oly lifting and instead focused on his studies. I say good for Rob.

Reaction score
I have the Rhyno Power front squat harness. Works great for me. My right wrist is a little too inflexible for the rack position and I never bothered to work on it since front squat isn't a comp lift. But I enjoy them and like going heavier than my flexibility allows. I don't like cross armed grip or using straps.

Reaction score
Tried Safety Squat Bar squats? I found these to be a halfway option between back squats and front squats ... much easier on shoulders too. The SSB I liked had the handles in line with the bends in the bar (some are at a different angle) which helped me keep the weight forward like a front squat ... and so back more upright.