Goodfellows gains log

Reaction score
i was just gonna keep focusing on heavy work in the main lifts. Triples doubles and singles probably around 90% and on the last week as someone here told me I will go in and hit my openers on Monday and then relax and recover the rest of the week till meet day. Any tips or advice for these last 3 week sessions would be appreciated.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
i was just gonna keep focusing on heavy work in the main lifts. Triples doubles and singles probably around 90% and on the last week as someone here told me I will go in and hit my openers on Monday and then relax and recover the rest of the week till meet day. Any tips or advice for these last 3 week sessions would be appreciated.

If you know your 90% and it's EASY, that should be your opener. This should be a number you can hit any day basically.

Whatever attempts over that in training you attempt, DON'T miss.

2 weeks out let that be your last heavy week.

Meet week, go off of how you feel. If you need rest, rest. If you need to do warm-ups do those. Don't change anything, and don't overthink it.

This is nothing specific, as I didn't want to change your style. There are numerous ways to peak, and I'm telling you pointers I should have listened to. Which I didn't, and it ended up costing me.

Stay healthy, and stay confident.

Reaction score
If you know your 90% and it's EASY, that should be your opener. This should be a number you can hit any day basically.

Whatever attempts over that in training you attempt, DON'T miss.

2 weeks out let that be your last heavy week.

Meet week, go off of how you feel. If you need rest, rest. If you need to do warm-ups do those. Don't change anything, and don't overthink it.

This is nothing specific, as I didn't want to change your style. There are numerous ways to peak, and I'm telling you pointers I should have listened to. Which I didn't, and it ended up costing me.

Stay healthy, and stay confident.

thanks for the tips I definitely need them. Been doing my programming by myself for the most part but I always wonder if I’m doing too much for medical strength gains.

Reaction score
This week is gonna be different. On jury duty for the for the next couple of weeks probably so I will be working out in the crowded ass evening gym. Also cutting my training back to 3 days a week till the meet is over. Deadlifts today around 88-90 percent. 2x3@365 and 2x3@375. Followed up with some kettlebell windmills and leg extensions and ab work.

Reaction score
Bench today. 3x3 at 225 and then 2x5 at 210. Really working on slowing down the decent and pausing for a solid second before exploding up. Bench still needs a lot of work till I’ll be happy. Followed up with slow paused at bottom DB bench 3x10 and Barbell OHP.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Bench today. 3x3 at 225 and then 2x5 at 210. Really working on slowing down the decent and pausing for a solid second before exploding up. Bench still needs a lot of work till I’ll be happy. Followed up with slow paused at bottom DB bench 3x10 and Barbell OHP.

Good job on pausing this close to the meet. Either pause on the first, last, or all the reps if you wish.

If you have someone there with you, have them give the commands so it's not too foreign to you come meet day.

Reaction score
Good job on pausing this close to the meet. Either pause on the first, last, or all the reps if you wish.

If you have someone there with you, have them give the commands so it's not too foreign to you come meet day.

Thanks man. I had an old power lifter tell me he likes to have his lifters go by meet standards pretty closely about a month out. I had trouble with the commands at the mock meet so I’m trying to ingrain them in my head this time.

Reaction score
Squat day. Worked up to a top set of 285x5 followed by light assistance of Bulgarian split squats, leg extension and 25lbs KB hyper extensions

Feeling kind of restless on my days off but it feels good to be going into a workout fully recovered. I need to dial in my nutrition a little better. Been eating like shit the last month. Probably averaging about 2500 calories a day. about 4 weeks out from the meet

Reaction score
Damn so I tried to set my opener for DL today. Was feeling really good so I hit 365 for an easy 3 then tries 405 hoping to get 3 but only hit one. Diet has been a lot better and so has sleep. Starting experimenting with some holistic style medicine to manage some stress and social anxiety I have. Lions man, rhodiola and ashwaganda. May be placebo but I’m feeling great from dosing those.

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find the edit button to fix my horrendous grammar but I also wanted to clarify for my own future reference that it was 385x3 I hit to set my opener.

Rydog

Reaction score
Starting experimenting with some holistic style medicine to manage some stress and social anxiety I have. Lions man, rhodiola and ashwaganda. May be placebo but im feeling great from dosing those.

Magnesium and theanine work well too

Reaction score
Weighed in at 167.2 this morning. I had a rest day programmed yesterday but I was feeling great so I went ahead and hit a bench workout to set my opener for the meet February 29th. Worked my way up to 230 by 3 competition paused style and that will be my opener.

sleep could still be better in my opinion. With my normal schedule still being thrown off from jury duty these last couple of weeks I’ll be happy to get back to work and back to my normal sleep schedule. I need to stop watching tv/movies on my phone till I fall asleep and start reading before bedtime again.

Last edited:

German89

Elite
Reaction score
will you be doing before and after pictures?

I mean, you don't have to.. I just wanna see how the beard is coming along

Reaction score
will you be doing before and after pictures?

I mean, you don't have to.. I just wanna see how the beard is coming along

you know I actually tried trimming it down myself the other day and almost lost it. Luckily my barber stepped up to save the day and keep it looking good.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
you know I actually tried trimming it down myself the other day and almost lost it. Luckily my barber stepped up to save the day and keep it looking good.

Lmaooo. Smarten up!

Grow the mustache out so it curls up. Then we can talk.

Reaction score
Usually I do my deads or squats on Monday but I am having an issue with my hip flexor so it was international bench day.

set my 2nd attempt for the meet at 245. It did not go up as smoothly as I would have liked but it still would have passed

followed up with some tempo pause DB press 3x8 and some light JM presses 3x10

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying I really don’t know what I’m doing as far as prep and training for PL meets but I am getting good help and advice from people on this board that I will start to implement after this meet.

Today was the last deadlift session I’ll have before the meet. My backs been a little cranky so I was pretty conservative and just hit some belt less conventional pulls for 315x3x5. Followed up with pendlay rows 8,6,6 and then reverse hypers3x12 with 45s and some hanging leg raises.

im still having issues with my hip flexor but I have been doing movements to try and help rehab it daily. At this point I’m not sure if I’ll even be able to squat at the meet but I’ll reassess it in a couple weeks. My biggest fear is having it heal up a bit then re-injuring it during the meet and be out of squatting for another month.

New Threads