home equipment advice

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a novice and started training a few weeks ago without equipment and with the free Built with science "Full Body Home Workout".
I've since bought a 20Kg barbell/dumbell set and installed a 91kg York home multigym I had stored for years. The lat pulldown on this is reasonable, avoiding resistance band pulldowns which didn't work for me. The pec deck seems useful enough although clunky and unbalanced. I've got a medicine ball, ab roller, bands and gym rings with straps.

With a view to building bulk as quickly as possible, could you recommend more/further equipment purchases? Eg a larger more professional barbell set and weights, kettlebells, slam ball etc? How would you prioritise your budget if you were me? I have no gym access and I'd like to build a home gym.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a novice and started training a few weeks ago without equipment and with the free Built with science "Full Body Home Workout".
I've since bought a 20Kg barbell/dumbell set and installed a 91kg York home multigym I had stored for years. The lat pulldown on this is reasonable, avoiding resistance band pulldowns which didn't work for me. The pec deck seems useful enough although clunky and unbalanced. I've got a medicine ball, ab roller, bands and gym rings with straps.

With a view to building bulk as quickly as possible, could you recommend more/further equipment purchases? Eg a larger more professional barbell set and weights, kettlebells, slam ball etc? How would you prioritise your budget if you were me? I have no gym access and I'd like to build a home gym.

Thanks
Search for home gyms here.
Plenty of members here have their own home gym and can probably give good advice.
My favs are @BRICKS, @Orbis and @Rot-Iron66

Reaction score

Thanks
You’re opening Pandora’s box! Once you start scouring Craigslist and Facebook marketplace you will be hooked!

The best part is, with the exception of the Covid lockdowns when prices were hyper-inflated, gym equipment rarely loses value. So buy what you can afford, use it and know that you’ll be able to sell it to the next guy for at least the price you paid. It’s like borrowing equipment.

Start with a good barbell. Highest quality you can afford. Get a decent squat rack especially if you are lifting alone. You can build a deadlift platform (YouTube has a bunch of DIY Videos for home gyms) and try to acquire the weight plates used (you can spray paint and re-do the letter paint). 45s are the most popular so get as many as you can find. You might not need them now but you will in the future.

Get something to play music on, maybe a TV too. You want to make it somewhere you enjoy being. There’s really no reason to buy the big stuff new. Used equipment is just as good.

Have fun with it. It’s your place to make what you want of it.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Now that summers here and covids over folks are going to be looking to get their sewing rooms and basements back , keep an eye out for yard sales , estate sales and check the free for the taking section of your swap n trade papers ,benches , bars , DB's chains bands you would be amazed what you can find now and then , and folks are just happy to get it out of the house.

Oml

Reaction score
I got myself a power rack for my gym. The fear of not coming back up doing heavy squats was always terrifying.

Those steel bars make for a decent emergency spotter.

Hughinn

Reaction score
A barbell can get almost anything accomplished.