New Program

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
I have no interest in getting sucked into the drama homie... I'm just trying to get shredded so my girl gets insecure and lets me come on her face so I don't leave her
I don't blame ya. I totally understand.

Reaction score
Lol you motherfucker, don’t do this! God dammit, you both give your fucking advice and separate like good boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to provide him the opportunity. Here’s a guy eager to learn, with a good attitude. @lifter6973 has this. He’ll provide him with a program suggestion that will meet @BombSkillz goals.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
The guys here will hate this, but I agree with them. RPE is not very good. You think you're working a certain RPE, but you really have more in the tank, and there by end up cutting yourself short.

Plus on any given day you are going to feel stronger/weaker. Tempo changes things, pauses change things, rest periods change things. Even if you know how to calculate it on paper, there are lots of things will change your RPE that can't be accounted for in a formula.

You're better off lifting to failure, while using as heavy as weight possible without sacrificing the ability to feel the strong contraction as well as a good stretch in the muscle being targeted. At least this way you know you've emptied the tank, and it will take you fewer sets to do it also.

Reaction score
The guys here will hate this, but I agree with them. RPE is not very good. You think you're working a certain RPE, but you really have more in the tank, and there by end up cutting yourself short.

Plus on any given day you are going to feel stronger/weaker. Tempo changes things, pauses change things, rest periods change things. Even if you know how to calculate it on paper, there are lots of things will change your RPE that can't be accounted for in a formula.

You're better off lifting to failure, while using as heavy as weight possible without sacrificing the ability to feel the strong contraction as well as a good stretch in the muscle being targeted. At least this way you know you've emptied the tank, and it will take you fewer sets to do it also.
No. Bad advice.

He’s looking to build strength. His goal isn’t necessarily hypertrophy.

There are LOTS of good strength programs that use volume rather than lifting to failure. Strength is different than hypertrophy.

Now, bigger muscles are stronger muscles but he may wish to simply get stronger while remaining the same size.

lifter6973

Reaction score
@lifter6973 seems to have a lot to say so I’ll let him give you some advice. I’m sure youll be pleased with it.
Naw, youve done what you came into this thread to do. I know exactly what you are doing and so do many others. I dont need to add anything more. There is only one reason why you come to this forum now and post.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
No. Bad advice.

He’s looking to build strength. His goal isn’t necessarily hypertrophy.

There are LOTS of good strength programs that use volume rather than lifting to failure. Strength is different than hypertrophy.

Now, bigger muscles are stronger muscles but he may wish to simply get stronger while remaining the same size.
I didn't see he was going for strength instead of hypertrophy. I was too focused on the RPE system itself. My mistake.

In strength training are people not focused on making sure the primary mover remains the primary mover at all; or is the emphasis just reduced?

Reaction score
Naw, youve done what you came into this thread to do. I know exactly what you are doing and so do many others. I dont need to add anything more. There is only one reason why you come to this forum now and post.
Good. I’m sure there’s a whole group of guys here that agree with you.

They’ll chime in…. Any minute…. Yep… shouldn’t be long now….

Oh look, crickets. That’s a surprise.

Get out of this guy’s thread if you’re not going to contribute anything useful. You’re disrespecting him by derailing it.

lifter6973

Reaction score
Good. I’m sure there’s a whole group of guys here that agree with you.

They’ll chime in…. Any minute…. Yep… shouldn’t be long now….

Oh look, crickets. That’s a surprise.

Get out of this guy’s thread if you’re not going to contribute anything useful. You’re disrespecting him by derailing it.
They dont have to be on display like you or me. They can see what is going on. Just because they arent out in the open posting about it doesnt mean they dont know.
Its not about trying to thump my chest and gathering a mouthy mob like you.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Everyone and their momma jumped on the RPE bandwagon and the only person to ever use it correctly would be the person who brought it to everyone's attention, Mike Tuchscherer.

From your layout, your program needs more work than most would be willing to invest to save. You're a newb and therefore taking a template and running with it for a long period of time is a great idea. If you're goal is strength, then there are many programs out there. Just because everyone and their mother knows about 5/3/1 doesn't mean it's the only viable option. There is 10/20/Life, Cube, RTS, WSBB, Juggernaut, etc... I could go on but you should get the point.

Not all are for beginners either but at least you'd have a program laid out properly for you to follow.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. It's been very helpful.

I like my spreadsheet (yeeeeah I'm a stubborn mf lol) , but I've modified it, and the program structure overall, based on what I've heard here and read elsewhere.

I am only using the RPE method to tailor my daily exercise on a fresh muscle group and separated out any set that shows fatigue (labelled "F" below) from the daily E1RM average (I think these sets were skewing the averages down). This gives me a single number to track over weeks. I've ditched tracking assistance exercises as it's too cumbersome. After the primary exercise I choose assistance exercises for that day (usually 3) based on how recovered various muscle groups feel, what I want to work on from a aesthetic/strength standpoint, and what I will be doing in the following days. For these I try and target 8 to 10 rep sets that end with a pretty hard final rep, and then the last set ends hopefully with a to-failure rep and very slow eccentric return from the max position... as I've read this is what makes your muscles get HUGE!!! I am still learning and adapting and always open for input on any of this.

For the primary exercises I warmup with 1 or 2 sets of 10 of very light weight, and then build up to my working weight with small sets of 1 or 2 reps. I am shooting for 3-4 working sets of 5 at RPE 8 currently. Doing this with %1RM would just be too hard to estimate for me currently as I am gaining strength so fast due to a) recently significantly increasing my training and diet for power building goals off-cycle, and then b) adding in test and HGH about 2 weeks ago. 2 months ago I was 180. Today I am 203 with even slightly less BF.

Here's an example from yesterday for barbell overhead press. In this case, I'm not really sure what my max is so I'm feeling it out in both workouts (i.e. not following exactly what I wrote above). In the December workout I think I went too hard (RPEs too high), yesterday felt pretty good. I was stoked to get the 70's up so easily. Prob coulda got the 75s up for one last set but knew I'd be pushing it... so I moved on to assistance work (seated smith overhead press, HS shrugs, dips, and iso-lat HS bench press). If I had added another set of say the 60s, it would probably have looked like 5x60@RPE9 which would have been E1RM of 72, which would indicate fatigue and I'd log it below in the F rows so it would not skew the E1RM average.
[Grey indicates user entry, the E1RMs are calculated from a RPE/% table.]
1673123396870.png

I will start a log in the appropriate forum. Will have goals, diet, blood work, and training sessions.

New Threads