Reaction score
Hello, I go by Tom. I read it was proper etiquette to post an intro after lurking for a bit.

I am a former wrestler and I work in the military. I do well on all our physical fitness tests and have a reputation for being the gym guy among my peers but I feel like I fall short- I'm never quite as strong or as good looking as I want to be. Because of my weight-cutting days I have trouble controlling what I eat- it could just be mental idk. I'd like to get stronger and more cut, and I would appreciate yall teaching me in the future.

PRs
DL: 470
Bench: 315
Squat: 350

5'9" 205lbs 23yo
I realize these numbers aren't to impressive but 3 years ago I could only bench 180, so I've come a long way.
I'm unhappy with my weight, especially since I used to have a six pack in my wrestling days

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm assuming with military training and wrestling, you have the inherent discipline to monitor your intake properly. Your weight for 5'9" is not excessive.
The veterans on this board can be of great help to you with diet, programs etc. I'm still learning from these people as well.
Perhaps you can outline your diet and training?

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
No one is ever happy with what they can lift or how they look. Or we older members would all be on cruise mode saying we are happy looking like this training one time a week eating pizza twice a day.
Wanting more is the motivation you need to drive to the gym to train like an animal and eat as if you are eating for two.
Where you are is right where you are suposed to be.

Great intro. Best wishes.
Don't give up wanting more.

Reaction score
Hello, I go by Tom. I read it was proper etiquette to post an intro after lurking for a bit.

I am a former wrestler and I work in the military. I do well on all our physical fitness tests and have a reputation for being the gym guy among my peers but I feel like I fall short- I'm never quite as strong or as good looking as I want to be. Because of my weight-cutting days I have trouble controlling what I eat- it could just be mental idk. I'd like to get stronger and more cut, and I would appreciate yall teaching me in the future.

PRs
DL: 470
Bench: 315
Squat: 350

5'9" 205lbs 23yo
I realize these numbers aren't to impressive but 3 years ago I could only bench 180, so I've come a long way.
I'm unhappy with my weight, especially since I used to have a six pack in my wrestling days
Welcome to UG

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm assuming with military training and wrestling, you have the inherent discipline to monitor your intake properly. Your weight for 5'9" is not excessive.
The veterans on this board can be of great help to you with diet, programs etc. I'm still learning from these people as well.
Perhaps you can outline your diet and training?
I work out 6 times a week, I usually do 5x5 lifts at 70-90% of 1 rep max, then auxiliary exercises. For example on chest/tri day I'll do 5x5 on bench, 4x12 in incline bench, 4x12 dumbell bench or chest flys, then a 3 exercise tricep superset. this is in addition to whatever we do at PT.

I used to do 400 calories on the stair machine after every work out before I joined my current platoon, but since I do cardio with them I have been putting off my steps. - I recognize this is my own fault and won't make excuses for it.

My diet is pretty poor - My roommate and I split the grocery bill in exchange for me mooching off his meals. He is a very good cook and because of my former weight cutting have trouble controlling myself around his good food. He cooks a lot of noodles and fried rice - high carb asian foods. When he doesnt cook I drink an extra protein shake (I drink 4 servings per day usually) and cook myself some eggs/toast.
I take whey protein, creatine and a multivitamin daily, and I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch aside from protein shakes in the morning.

Reaction score
How much were you squatting 3 years ago?

Can you post a picture of yourself weighing in at 205lbs, or whatever it is your current weight is?
tempsnip.png

This is me at 210 just the other day.

I don't remember my exact 1 rep max for squat back then but It was around 250

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
View attachment 47416

This is me at 210 just the other day.

I don't remember my exact 1 rep max for squat back then but It was around 250
in terms of weight, the good news is that it will come off with diet alone. The bad news is that it does take mental strength and will power to adhere to your diet. Staying away from sugary carbs helps curb the cravings quite a bit, making adherence easier. If you find you are hungry in between meals then you may want to play with adding more protein or more fat, while keeping the amount of calories the same.

The other bad news is that you should not expect to get stronger in a caloric deficit. You will struggle to maintain the strength you have.

Judging from your pictures, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd just diet down and keep lifting.

Diet: The problem is your situation with the roommate cooking your high carb meals, you're gonna have to find a way to get more protein. Maybe start buying extra protein for him to cook?

Start counting calories with an app like myfitnesspal or similar, and try to figure out a deficit range that is reasonable and doesn't leave you starving.

Different people will have different recs on macros, and everyone's body is different. But I weigh about 200 lbs and I like high protein (like 250g), low carbs (like 150-200g), and low fat (like 50-75g). I seem to stay lean on this diet.

Training: I really don't like 5x5 because it just seems like a lot of wasted sets. By trying to hit 5 reps on your last set you're leaving a lot in the tank on your first 2-3 sets. I understand if you want to do a warmup set, but I think you can be more efficient just doing 2-3 sets to failure on each lift.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Diet: Maybe start buying extra protein for him to cook?
the right answer here is that @tomsweeney808 should be making his own meals. If his roommate is making fried rice and other ultra high fat and high carb meals, then adding protein isn't going to fix anything.

The problem is with the way his roommate cooks. I don't see that changing IMO. He probably couldn't even begin to guess the amount of calories or P/C/F in those meals.

@tomsweeney808 if you're serious, then make. your own meals and stop "mooching" off your roommates meals. He isn't doing you any favors in regards to your goals. He's actually setting you back, and his food will guarantee you stay fat.

protein shakes are just "okay". You'd be better served by eating actual whole foods.

Reaction score
Solid lifts, not so solid physique.

What exactly did you eat over the last 3 days? Food weight and macros if you have it.

And if you don't have that, then I would suggest we start by dialing that in.

Regardless, welcome.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Welcome,

im also Tom, also a ex wrestler, and also military.

lifts are not bad, just need some diet stability and structure and youll be right as rain

New Threads