Micro plastics found in 90% of proteins

This is crazy:

A new study led by researchers at Ocean Conservancy and the University of Toronto and published today in the journal Environmental Pollution found microplastic particles in 88% of protein food samples tested. The samples were drawn from 16 different protein types* destined for U.S. consumers, including seafood, pork, beef, chicken, tofu, and three different plant-based meat alternatives.

While scientists have long documented the presence of microplastics in the digestive tracts of commercial fish and shellfish like salmon, halibut and oysters, there has been little research into whether these microplastics are entering the filets of the fish – the parts that are actually eaten by people; and little research into terrestrial protein sources like beef and chicken that make up a large part of the American diet. In this study, microplastics were found in all 16 protein types tested, suggesting that humans are likely eating microplastics no matter the source of protein they choose. Furthermore, there were no statistical differences in microplastic concentrations between land- and ocean-sourced proteins.

“This is a startling reminder of just how prolific plastic pollution has become – humans live on land and yet seafood samples are just as likely to be contaminated with plastics as are terrestrial derived proteins,” said study co-author Dr. Britta Baechler, a marine biologist and Associate Director of Plastics Science at Ocean Conservancy. “And there’s no escaping them no matter what you eat, it seems. The plastic pollution crisis is impacting all of us, and we need to take action to address its many forms.”

Thankfully, it appears that eating less processed meats is one possible way to limit our intake of these invasive plastics:
The study found evidence that food processing is a likely source of microplastic contamination, as highly processed protein products (like fish sticks, chicken nuggets, tofu, and plant-based burgers, among others) contained significantly more microplastics per gram than minimally processed products (items like packaged wild Alaska pollock, raw chicken breast, and others). However, no statistical difference was found between high-processed products and fresh-caught products, suggesting that food processing is not the only source of microplastic contamination and opening avenues for further research.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about how I’m drinking from a plastic water bottle the entire time I’ve been talking about this 😂.

But this one is bpa free though and that’s the only ONE thing bad in it, right?!!?

At least it’s not coke in a plastic bottle….
I just saw this article today and I was about to post it it looks like it's microplastic article day.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
its made to kill testosterone in men and cause all kinds of cancers..Its in everything we drink too

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Microplastics are ubiquitous at this point.

There are things you can do to limit your exposure, but worrying about how much is in your protein powder will turn you into a neurotic chemophobe

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Plus, if you're gonna be terrified of contaminants, you'd be better off trying to limit PFAS exposure.