New to the forum. Seeking advice. (Pictures Included).

Reaction score
Introduction
Greetings, I came to this forum after noticing that the bodybuilding.com has been flooded with bots and abandoned by the admins. Glad to have found this place. I'm seeking advice on what to do next.

Background
I started the gym three weeks ago just on a total whim to give it a try, and since then I've decided that I actually enjoy going to the gym and I should probably start taking it more seriously. I haven't been following a specific training regime. Similarly I've not been eating anything specific, just eating until I feel full really.

Current Body Stats
24 Male
177-178 CM
83 KG

Starting Lifts (3 Weeks Ago)
40 KG Bench
40 KG Squat
20 KG Row
10 KG Bicep Curl (10 KG Dumbbell in each hand)
Current Lifts
65 KG Bench
65 KG Squat
40 KG Row
10 KG Bicep Curl (10 KG Dumbbell in each hand.)

This is my current routine. I just do 5x5 on the first 3 movements, and then I just do bicep curls until I feel tired. I do this routine three days per week, Mon/Wed/Fri. In terms of food, I've just been eating what I feel like.

Advice Needed
I know that my routine isn't optimal. I'm also carrying a fair amount of body fat. There is a lot of confusing and contradictory information on YouTube so I decided to try my luck with forums and get a real persons' opinion.

I'm looking for information on whether I should cut down or bulk up, and my goal is aesthetics. In addition if somebody could recommend a real training regime to follow, that would be great.

Closing Words
I would highly appreciate advice in terms of nutrition (cutting/bulking) in particular, since I know diet plays a huge role, and I feel rather insecure and depressed carrying around body fat. I still want to grow big muscles though so if bulking is advised then I'll do it, even if it increases my body fat further. I'm in this for the long-term, so I'll firmly deal with the short-term discomfort of bulking or cutting if it's the best option for me. I just need to know what to do.

Pictures: (Disclaimer, they are fairly unsightly to look at, I apologise in advance.)

Many thanks and I will actively monitor the post to respond to questions.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
Greetings
and salutations. welcome to the UG

started the gym three weeks ago
congrats on picking up a worthwhile hobby

recommend a real training regime to follow,
Phraks-Greyskull-LP.jpg

I should cut down or bulk up
neither. newbie gains and body recomp will never be better for you than right now.

download MyFitnessPal, Cronometer, nutritionix, fatsecret. any one will do.

buy a digital food scale on amazon

for the next 5 days weigh and log everything you eat and drink into one of these apps. report back with the results.

weigh yourself every morning at the same time after you have gone to the restroom. log this into the app. after the 5 days we will see a trend and will then set a macro goal.

Do you have a way to track your steps? your phone? how many steps are you getting per day right now?

Reaction score
and salutations. welcome to the UG

congrats on picking up a worthwhile hobby

View attachment 41900

neither. newbie gains and body recomp will never be better for you than right now.

download MyFitnessPal, Cronometer, nutritionix, fatsecret. any one will do.

buy a digital food scale on amazon

for the next 5 days weigh and log everything you eat and drink into one of these apps. report back with the results.

weigh yourself every morning at the same time after you have gone to the restroom. log this into the app. after the 5 days we will see a trend and will then set a macro goal.

Do you have a way to track your steps? your phone? how many steps are you getting per day right now?
Thank you.

I don't track my steps, I have a watch so I can use that to track them going forward though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you say report back with the results, do you want my weight after 5 days, or average caloric intake after 5 days? Just to clarify, thanks.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
When you say report back with the results, do you want my weight after 5 days, or average caloric intake after 5 days? Just to clarify, thanks.
daily steps you took.
daily macros.
daily calories.
daily weight.

If you start a log, you can log each, each day.

Reaction score
I'm wondering - how would one progressively overload on the chin ups as prescribed? Unfortunately at my gym we do not have any sort of chain or harness to attach weights to.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
My boy you are going to make some gainzzzzzz. Welcome! Eazy nailed it. I'll try not to rehash too much. You are fortunate to exist contemporaneously with technology which makes tracking food and training almost effortless. Start a log. You will be light years ahead of others starting out who think they'll keep track of their progress in their head. Eazy gave you a great place to start.

I personally believe "cutting" at your current body composition, experience level, and age would be short sighted. Eating at maintenance would likely yield good results. Give your body the caloric environment to recover quickly and support the "noobie gains". They are real.

You'll find tons of good info on here. Use the search, it works pretty well. Occasionally panties get riled but you can get very good relevant advice on anything from training, to mens health, to the caloric burden of female butthole.

I'm incredibly excited for you. This is a great decision you are making. You've got years of gains ahead of you, new friends, PRs, funny gym stories, perhaps even a kiss from a gym sweetie. Most importantly you get to physically represent years of consistency everywhere you go. It won't come over night but physical culture can better the rest of your life.

Lifting weights fucking rules, having muscles is super sick, we are glad you're here, looking forward to seeing you make progress.

Reaction score
My boy you are going to make some gainzzzzzz. Welcome! Eazy nailed it. I'll try not to rehash too much. You are fortunate to exist contemporaneously with technology which makes tracking food and training almost effortless. Start a log. You will be light years ahead of others starting out who think they'll keep track of their progress in their head. Eazy gave you a great place to start.

I personally believe "cutting" at your current body composition, experience level, and age would be short sighted. Eating at maintenance would likely yield good results. Give your body the caloric environment to recover quickly and support the "noobie gains". They are real.

You'll find tons of good info on here. Use the search, it works pretty well. Occasionally panties get riled but you can get very good relevant advice on anything from training, to mens health, to the caloric burden of female butthole.

I'm incredibly excited for you. This is a great decision you are making. You've got years of gains ahead of you, new friends, PRs, funny gym stories, perhaps even a kiss from a gym sweetie. Most importantly you get to physically represent years of consistency everywhere you go. It won't come over night but physical culture can better the rest of your life.

Lifting weights fucking rules, having muscles is super sick, we are glad you're here, looking forward to seeing you make progress.
Thank you very much for the kind comment!

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Hi. Welcome. There are plenty of utube guys worth watching. Plenty also not worth watching. Make up your own mind but for a beginner like yourself greg doucett has a lot of simple advice on food and training. Mountain dog (He has passed now Unfortunatly) but his advice on training is solid.
Your pics are outstanding. Very few here started with the frame you have. You will grow chest and arms very fast.
For a beginner you aren't fat. But as you see the body shape change and the muscles taking over you may want to get closer to 15% body fat.
Hope you stick with training and keep going hard. I think you will be very well rewarded.
I see plenty of guys offering advice. So listen to them. These guys here know what to do.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi. Welcome. There are plenty of utube guys worth watching. Plenty also not worth watching. Make up your own mind but for a beginner like yourself greg doucett has a lot of simple advice on food and training. Mountain dog (He has passed now Unfortunatly) but his advice on training is solid.
Your pics are outstanding. Very few here started with the frame you have. You will grow chest and arms very fast.
For a beginner you aren't fat. But as you see the body shape change and the muscles taking over you may want to get closer to 15% body fat.
Hope you stick with training and keep going hard. I think you will be very well rewarded.
I see plenty of guys offering advice. So listen to them. These guys here know what to do.
Good luck.
Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Nothing to add.. welcome to the underground. Look forward to seeing your progress. 😁

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Introduction
Greetings, I came to this forum after noticing that the bodybuilding.com has been flooded with bots and abandoned by the admins. Glad to have found this place. I'm seeking advice on what to do next.

Background
I started the gym three weeks ago just on a total whim to give it a try, and since then I've decided that I actually enjoy going to the gym and I should probably start taking it more seriously. I haven't been following a specific training regime. Similarly I've not been eating anything specific, just eating until I feel full really.

Current Body Stats
24 Male
177-178 CM
83 KG

Starting Lifts (3 Weeks Ago)
40 KG Bench
40 KG Squat
20 KG Row
10 KG Bicep Curl (10 KG Dumbbell in each hand)
Current Lifts
65 KG Bench
65 KG Squat
40 KG Row
10 KG Bicep Curl (10 KG Dumbbell in each hand.)

This is my current routine. I just do 5x5 on the first 3 movements, and then I just do bicep curls until I feel tired. I do this routine three days per week, Mon/Wed/Fri. In terms of food, I've just been eating what I feel like.

Advice Needed
I know that my routine isn't optimal. I'm also carrying a fair amount of body fat. There is a lot of confusing and contradictory information on YouTube so I decided to try my luck with forums and get a real persons' opinion.

I'm looking for information on whether I should cut down or bulk up, and my goal is aesthetics. In addition if somebody could recommend a real training regime to follow, that would be great.

Closing Words
I would highly appreciate advice in terms of nutrition (cutting/bulking) in particular, since I know diet plays a huge role, and I feel rather insecure and depressed carrying around body fat. I still want to grow big muscles though so if bulking is advised then I'll do it, even if it increases my body fat further. I'm in this for the long-term, so I'll firmly deal with the short-term discomfort of bulking or cutting if it's the best option for me. I just need to know what to do.

Pictures: (Disclaimer, they are fairly unsightly to look at, I apologise in advance.)

Many thanks and I will actively monitor the post to respond to questions.
Just a little advice. Everyone here is from USA. Even those who say they aren't. Not sure where you are from but weights are pounds please. Kg. Kangaroo gonads dont mean shit. Use your converter. 2.2 pounds for each kangaroo nut.
Then you will fit right in.

Reaction score
Just a little advice. Everyone here is from USA. Even those who say they aren't. Not sure where you are from but weights are pounds please. Kg. Kangaroo gonads dont mean shit. Use your converter. 2.2 pounds for each kangaroo nut.
I see, I wasn't aware - sorry. I'm from the UK. I'll change it to pounds for readability.

Reaction score
Regretfully I cannot edit the first post, but future posts I will use pounds. Thanks again.

New Threads