Opinion on fixed weight sets

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these two examples. Bear in mind these parameters: 48 YO, 250mg Test/250mg Deca per week, 1rep max for bench about 120kg:

Dumbbell press:
Set 1 warmup with 2x30kg to 15-20 reps
Set 2 2x45kg to 10-12
Set 3 2x40kg to 15
Set 4 2x34kg to 15, drop to 2x20kg for 5-8 to close to failure

Form/tempo good.

Sort of counter to the norm but if I reverse this and hit the 45s last I'm to tired so will barely get a rep.

2nd example:

Dumbbell press:
Same as above except set 2,3 & 4 use 2x34kg to 15 reps with last set to failure via drop to 2x20kgs. Here's the key point, on all sets, as you approach (easily) rep 15, you slow your tempo, fast up, hold for 1-3 seconds, then slow down (2-4 secs) until you burn at 15 reps. Effectively this could be repeated for several weeks and as you get stronger, slow your tempo even more.

Thoughts on these 2 approaches?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I wouldn't do either of the examples. For instance, on your dumbbell press example I'd just keep it at 45kg, knowing I'm going to get weaker and pump out less reps with each set.

The reason why I'd keep the weight the same is because it has more mechanical tension.

Reaction score
I wouldn't do either of the examples. For instance, on your dumbbell press example I'd just keep it at 45kg, knowing I'm going to get weaker and pump out less reps with each set.

The reason why I'd keep the weight the same is because it has more mechanical tension.
Interesting and I'd say many would agree with you but for me, if I do 12 of the 45s, next set I might only get 6 done, then even lucky to get 1-2 in next set. Is this wrong and if 12 is failure (can't do 13) on a set of 45s, I should still be able to repeat that 12 to failure on the next set a couple of minutes later?

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these two examples. Bear in mind these parameters: 48 YO, 250mg Test/250mg Deca per week, 1rep max for bench about 120kg:

Dumbbell press:
Set 1 warmup with 2x30kg to 15-20 reps
Set 2 2x45kg to 10-12
Set 3 2x40kg to 15
Set 4 2x34kg to 15, drop to 2x20kg for 5-8 to close to failure

Form/tempo good.

Sort of counter to the norm but if I reverse this and hit the 45s last I'm to tired so will barely get a rep.

2nd example:

Dumbbell press:
Same as above except set 2,3 & 4 use 2x34kg to 15 reps with last set to failure via drop to 2x20kgs. Here's the key point, on all sets, as you approach (easily) rep 15, you slow your tempo, fast up, hold for 1-3 seconds, then slow down (2-4 secs) until you burn at 15 reps. Effectively this could be repeated for several weeks and as you get stronger, slow your tempo even more.

Thoughts on these 2 approaches?
Deliberately slowing the eccentric in the 2nd example doesn’t do much. The issue is you can handle more weight on the eccentric (20% more) than on the concentric. You’d be better off increasing the weight and using progressive overload, which has been proven to be effective.

Reaction score
Interesting and I'd say many would agree with you but for me, if I do 12 of the 45s, next set I might only get 6 done, then even lucky to get 1-2 in next set. Is this wrong and if 12 is failure (can't do 13) on a set of 45s, I should still be able to repeat that 12 to failure on the next set a couple of minutes later?
Being able to do it vs whether it’s effective are two separate things.

Reaction score
Being able to do it vs whether it’s effective are two separate things.
Ok so my weight selection is wrong? So knowing my limits above, something like 30s x 15, 34s x 12, 36s x 10 and 40s x 8-10 with drop to 20s x 5 would be more effective?

Reaction score
Ok so my weight selection is wrong? So knowing my limits above, something like 30s x 15, 34s x 12, 36s x 10 and 40s x 8-10 with drop to 20s x 5 would be more effective?
Why work up? That’s what you do in warmups.

Do your warmups and then go right to the 40s. Lift that as many times as you can with good form. You’re looking for “task failure”. Really pushing yourself. Those last couple reps that you barely get are money. Rest 3 mins and do it again. Same thing, to task failure. You should be failing in the 8-12 rep range. If you get more than 12, bump the weight up the next training session.

You can do one dropset. Same thing, as many reps as you can to task failure.

Simple and effective.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I think either scenario's work sets are fine, as long as they're taking close to failure, and not some arbitrary number. I think your warmup set is excessive, though. Just do enough warmups to do just that...warm up. Don't waste energy here, save it for the work sets.

And don't mess with tempo, it's not needed, especially holding at the TOP of a press for 3 seconds. Why would you do that? Your joints are stacked at the top, it's by far the easiest portion of the lift. You're essentially taking a break.

Just lift the weight with intent, and lower it under control. There's no need to get fancy. If you're counting seconds ticking away while you're lifting, you're missing the point of lifting.

Reaction score
This is great info guys thanks. Will adjust accordingly and see how we go...

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
People put way, way too much effort into rep schemes.

Find a weight that you can do for a reasonable number of reps, take it to failure (or close to it) for 1-3 sets and try to do more reps the next time you hit your workout. Once you get to the top of your rep range of choice over all of your sets, bump the weight up slightly.

Easy. You don’t need to piss around with ramp up sets, back down sets etc. just do your warm up, hit your sets and move on.

Reaction score
People put way, way too much effort into rep schemes.

Find a weight that you can do for a reasonable number of reps, take it to failure (or close to it) for 1-3 sets and try to do more reps the next time you hit your workout. Once you get to the top of your rep range of choice over all of your sets, bump the weight up slightly.

Easy. You don’t need to piss around with ramp up sets, back down sets etc. just do your warm up, hit your sets and move on.
Yup, I need more of a get it fucking done attitude than bean counting weight/reps. Thanks.

New Threads