Paul Barnett and Mike Israetel's take on one set per exercise (Mentzer high intensity)

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Since people aren't watching the video, here is the summary (everything I could remember is paraphrased.. so don't hang me if my summary is not exact):

1. Mentzer HIT can work very well for advanced or elite lifters

2. It takes a lot of time and experience to learn to properly train to failure.

3. Beginners and intermediates can't reach the level of failure required for Mentzer HIT to work. They don't have the same ability as advanced lifters to recruit muscle, and push through physical or mental barriers.

4. Some people use Mentzer HIT because it fits their schedule.

5. Some influencers are heavily pushing Mentzer HIT to new trainees, and making it sound easy and lots of time savings. People do tend to take the easy way out. These kind of people are not capable of reaching failure or doing Mentzer HIT.

They said some other stuff, but I filtered out what I thought was not relevant or bullshit.

Last edited:

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Dude, I watch every single video Paul puts out. Love the guy and I love his group of friends he talks with on a weekly basis. They discuss things and give reasons as to why they believe what they believe.

And I actually really like Mike. I think he is funny as hell and I would love to train with him. I just hate how he structures his videos. His info is always like, this can work but it is optimal? ? ? You can do this but is it the best? ? ? Maybe. Maybe not. Might not be best for you but it might for me. Blah Blah. Its just always a circle jerk of info that leaves you wondering what to do.. :ROFLMAO:
Mike does talk too fucking much. 😂

Reaction score
Since people aren't watching the video, here is the summary (everything I could remember is paraphrased.. so don't hang me if my summary is not exact):

1. HIT can work very well for advanced or elite lifters

2. It takes a lot of time and experience to learn to properly train to failure.

3. Beginners and intermediates can't reach the level of failure required for HIT to work. They don't have the same ability as advanced lifters to recruit muscle, and push through physical or mental barriers.

4. Some people use HIT because it fits their schedule.

5. Some influencers are heavily pushing HIT to new trainees, and making it sound easy and lots of time savings. People do tend to take the easy way out. These kind of people are not capable of reaching failure or doing HIT.

They said some other stuff, but I filtered out what I thought was not relevant or bullshit.
They weren't talking about HIT in general. They were talking specifically about the "Mike Mentzer 1 set to failure style of training".

If you change your summary a little and replace "HIT" with "Mike Mentzer Training" I'd agree with the 5 points you wrote.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
They weren't talking about HIT in general. They were talking specifically about the "Mike Mentzer 1 set to failure style of training".

If you change your summary a little and replace "HIT" with "Mike Mentzer Training" I'd agree with the 5 points you wrote.
they talked about how Mike mentzer popularized it. That doesn't come across the same way to me as how you interpreted it. 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
they talked about how Mike mentzer popularized it. That doesn't come across the same way to me as how you interpreted it. 🤷‍♂️
Mike Mentzer did the "one set to failure" workout and popularized that. That's what they are discussing in the video.

HIT is a general term (i.e. Not all HIT training is "one set to failure").

That's why I think its important to differentiate the two.

For example, I typically do 2-3 sets to failure. That's not how Mentzer did it, but it's still considered HIT.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Mike Mentzer did the "one set to failure" workout and popularized that. That's what they are discussing in the video.

HIT is a general term (i.e. Not all HIT training is "one set to failure").

That's why I think its important to differentiate the two.

For example, I typically do 2-3 sets to failure. That's not how Mentzer did it, but it's still considered HIT.
thanks for th explanation. I get where you're coming from now.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Mentzer, HIT, training to failure, ECt is all been getting traction with the younger generation on tiktok and such.

so the whole one set ot failure thing is swinging through like a fad at the moment

buck

Reaction score
I find everything comes around again and again. 20-year cycles seem normal for a lot of trendy areas of life. Menzer, Yates and now. people will try it for a while then disregard it and move to the next miracle thing. Long ago i did the 1 set per exercise routine and got results to start and or course then tapered down. I often would pick a style of training and do it for my yearly growth phase to see what i could get from it. I was totally natural when i did it. I would think it would work far better for those on anabolics then natural people. Volume worked better rom me when natural. On gear everything worked, some styles just better than others.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
thanks for th explanation. I get where you're coming from now.
@BigBaldBeardGuy been busy today running around. But I was finally able to make time to reflect that this is Mentzer HIT that they are talking about.

Thanks for explaining again, you don't need me to tell you... but it was a very valid point. Sorry about that.

New Threads