Question on brewing Methylcobalamine

Reaction score
I have some questions if anyone can help. Not a question for homebrew gear, rather for homebrew injectable (IM) methylcobalamine - B12.

I cant seem to find a compounding pharm for the dosing I need. This is for a health issue.

Looking to make an 25mg/ml in aqueous suspension.
pH 2.7-3.0

I can get gram-size bottles of 99% pure methylcobalamine powder.

If my math is correct (and it's been about 30 years) that would give me about 400 doses for a 10g bottle.

Do I just weigh out the powder 250mg in 10mL and adjust the pH for pH2.7-3.0? What is used to make the pH acidic? I seen references in the posts for Acetic Acid.. Citric Acid.. Are the available sterile or because of the inherit pH should not be not sterile (sorry - double negative).

Can anyone walk me thru the process or point me to a resource?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Why mess with this? Just take it sublingually. I attached a paper showing that absorption via SL is superior to IM.

Attachments

• 10.1007@s13346-018-00613-y.pdf
    453.7 KB · Views: 4

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
You're correct it would be 400 doses on paper. Doing a 10 ml batch seems like a pain in the ass. I would do a minimum of 100 ml batches if You're using a point .2um 33 syringe filter, Make sure you use hydrophilic. To adjust pH you could use acetic acid, hydrochloric acid, sodium bicarbonate, but you'll need pH strips. Why do you want your pH so low? Without knowing how much acid or base you will need to add your formula you start out with should be fluid as in make or leave room for adjustments so your dose will still be correct.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
If you're making B12 with nothing else added to it, as stated above sublingual maybe you're better option. that's coming from somebody who has fetish with needles.

Reaction score
Everything I was asking was based on physician rec's. The challenge with the SL is that the rec's are IM. I hate needles also - however, sometimes it's not worth a gamble on bioavailability. It's one thing if youre supplementing - different for truly therapeutic for a disease. The article posted (thank you @greenanime) is about cyanobalamine not methylbalamine. Is there a difference? I dunno... but>>> as above

Thru a compounding pharm cost ~300-350/month

Can get powders that will last longer at fraction of cost.

pH is how the compounding makes it.

any articles for a how-to guide?

Reaction score
Everything I was asking was based on physician rec's. The challenge with the SL is that the rec's are IM. I hate needles also - however, sometimes it's not worth a gamble on bioavailability. It's one thing if youre supplementing - different for truly therapeutic for a disease. The article posted (thank you @greenanime) is about cyanobalamine not methylbalamine. Is there a difference? I dunno... but>>> as above

Thru a compounding pharm cost ~300-350/month

Can get powders that will last longer at fraction of cost.

pH is how the compounding makes it.

any articles for a how-to guide?
You should definitely DIY this. That’s what any reasonable person that has no idea what they are doing would do.

You got really good info and yet you are questioning them? Why ask for advice then? You’re not appreciative so I have no idea why anyone would help you.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I don't have a personal formula in my book but I would start with known rx or compounding ingredients. Example do they use nacl or bac water, what is the ba %, what acid or base are they using. From there it would be easy to attempt a similar solution. Granted don't need to know any of that but this is to get as identical as possible.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Acid or base does not need to be sterile, it will become sterile when filtering. You should make sure your filter can tolerate whatever you use by cross referencing material and chemical on mfg site

New Threads