Seeking Supplement Feedback

Reaction score
3 lift days below and typical lifts I do on these days. I will rotate some things in and out here or there depending on what equipment in the gym is not being used at the time and they are not always in order either.

General rule for each lift is 3-4 sets, 6-12 reps roughly, or as close to failure as possible around that range weightwise.

Push:
Bench (225-275 working weight for reps)
Arnold Press (30-35ish)
Incline DB Press (75-85)
Tricep Pushdowns (with rope typically) (160-180)
Front Cable Laterial Raise (30)
Rear Cable Lateral Raise (20)
Hammer Strength incline chest press (not sure what this machine is called) (110)
machine fly (160+)

Pull:
Barbell Rows (225 top end working weight, 6-8 reps)
Barbell Shrugs (225-275)
Lat Pulldowns (160, 6-8)
Single Arm Cable Rows (100lbs)
Face Pulls (160-180)
Hammer Curls (30-35lbs) I have forearm tendon issues that really limit my ability to push hammer curls, super painful but I push through it twice a week regardless, in other areas I can use straps to help avoid some forearm pain but not always)
DB Shrugs (65+) I superset the hammer curls and db shrugs.

Sometimes I will superset bb rows and bb shrugs

Ill swap in deadlift or stiff legged deadlift depending on how strong I feel that day.

Legs:
Squat (225-315 for reps typically) 2 leg days a week I do not always squat twice a week.
Leg Press (Majority of the leg weight and volume here, adding plates successively until around 1k-1100lbs, at that weight I can usually hit 5-10 reps and 10-20 calf raises.
Calf Raises on Leg Press (I superset the leg press sets alongside the calf raise sets, same weight, similar or more reps)
Seated Calf Raise - 180 or so for reps
Leg Extensions - 210 for reps.

Strength-wise if we're talking pure numbers and maxes I know I am likely slightly above average but thats just due to having more of a strongman-ish powerlifting background. I used to deadlift/squat/bench primarily, a ton. Until I dropped a lot of bodyweight some of these figures were much higher. I had worked my 225 bench up to about 40 reps at one point. I think to some degree between size and maybe some decent genetics I have a bit of a pre disposition for strength, it just comes more naturally to me than some others.

Some of my lifetime bests:

Bench - 315 (I think I left a few lbs on the table, could have done more)
Squat - 495
Deadlift (Traditional) - 505

Last edited:
Reaction score
The goal before was largely pure strength, I spent a lot of time following guys like Brian Shaw, Eddie Hall, Haftor, Z, etc. but I also grew up following guys like Jay Cutler, Ronnie, Arnold, etc. So in some ways im split between the two worlds. I respect each for what they are intended to accomplish.

Nowadays its just trying to maintain as much as possible while staying healthier/leaner and rounding out the physique as a whole which is what has led me more into the bodybuilding space lately and a little less just raw strength and power.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
3 lift days below and typical lifts I do on these days. I will rotate some things in and out here or there depending on what equipment in the gym is not being used at the time and they are not always in order either.

General rule for each lift is 3-4 sets, 6-12 reps roughly, or as close to failure as possible around that range weightwise.

Push:
Bench (225-275 working weight for reps)
Arnold Press (30-35ish)
Incline DB Press (75-85)
Tricep Pushdowns (with rope typically) (160-180)
Front Cable Laterial Raise (30)
Rear Cable Lateral Raise (20)
Hammer Strength incline chest press (not sure what this machine is called) (110)
machine fly (160+)

Pull:
Barbell Rows (225 top end working weight, 6-8 reps)
Barbell Shrugs (225-275)
Lat Pulldowns (160, 6-8)
Single Arm Cable Rows (100lbs)
Face Pulls (160-180)
Hammer Curls (30-35lbs) I have forearm tendon issues that really limit my ability to push hammer curls, super painful but I push through it twice a week regardless, in other areas I can use straps to help avoid some forearm pain but not always)
DB Shrugs (65+) I superset the hammer curls and db shrugs.

Sometimes I will superset bb rows and bb shrugs

Ill swap in deadlift or stiff legged deadlift depending on how strong I feel that day.

Legs:
Squat (225-315 for reps typically) 2 leg days a week I do not always squat twice a week.
Leg Press (Majority of the leg weight and volume here, adding plates successively until around 1k-1100lbs, at that weight I can usually hit 5-10 reps and 10-20 calf raises.
Calf Raises on Leg Press (I superset the leg press sets alongside the calf raise sets, same weight, similar or more reps)
Seated Calf Raise - 180 or so for reps
Leg Extensions - 210 for reps.

Strength-wise if we're talking pure numbers and maxes I know I am likely slightly above average but thats just due to having more of a strongman-ish powerlifting background. I used to deadlift/squat/bench primarily, a ton. Until I dropped a lot of bodyweight some of these figures were much higher. I had worked my 225 bench up to about 40 reps at one point. I think to some degree between size and maybe some decent genetics I have a bit of a pre disposition for strength, it just comes more naturally to me than some others.

Some of my lifetime bests:

Bench - 315 (I think I left a few lbs on the table, could have done more)
Squat - 495
Deadlift (Traditional) - 505
That's a lot of volume to do twice per week, especially on such a low calorie diet. Are you progressing in your lifts, or at the very minimum maintaining?

Also, why do hammer curls if they're extremely painful? Let your tendon issue heal, skip that exercise.

Reaction score
That's a lot of volume to do twice per week, especially on such a low calorie diet. Are you progressing in your lifts, or at the very minimum maintaining?

Also, why do hammer curls if they're extremely painful? Let your tendon issue heal, skip that exercise.
Ive found that in a lot of areas ive increased strength, likely due to just lack of training in those areas prior. There is obviously an overall drop off just due to a decrease in size but maintaining week to week volume and strength hasnt been much of an issue.

It is a ton of volume, but at this point the weight lifting is almost geared to become cardio and not just about strength building along. I try to get my heart rate up and monitor/maintain it between 130-180 and keep it there. Depending on who you talk to, rest time between sets varies. I tend to err on the shorter side, 30-90 seconds.

Reaction score

As for the hammer curls, the tendon issue is going to be there whether i let it fully heal or not. Anytime I have trained long durations in the past it flares up when I start pushing my grip limits. Just not a lot I can do about it aside maybe surgery and that in itself has pros and cons. It impacts other areas as well but its a lot easier to throw some straps on a barbell than it is to adjust to it with dumbbells.

Ill also note this routine is something I picked up off of healthline as what they pegged as an advanced routine and i just slightly altered it to fit my size a bit more. Like swapping out pull ups for example. I am only committed to this stuff as its what I put together at the beginning and stuck with it, change is an inevitability.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
It is a ton of volume, but at this point the weight lifting is almost geared to become cardio and not just about strength building along. I try to get my heart rate up and monitor/maintain it between 130-180 and keep it there. Depending on who you talk to, rest time between sets varies. I tend to err on the shorter side, 30-90 seconds.

This is very, very subpar, but if you're fine with that, to each their own.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
As for the hammer curls, the tendon issue is going to be there whether i let it fully heal or not. Anytime I have trained long durations in the past it flares up when I start pushing my grip limits. Just not a lot I can do about it aside maybe surgery and that in itself has pros and cons. It impacts other areas as well but its a lot easier to throw some straps on a barbell than it is to adjust to it with dumbbells.

Ill also note this routine is something I picked up off of healthline as what they pegged as an advanced routine and i just slightly altered it to fit my size a bit more. Like swapping out pull ups for example. I am only committed to this stuff as its what I put together at the beginning and stuck with it, change is an inevitability.
Can you do exercises that bother you for only a few weeks, then take a week or two off of those, before they flare up? Then repeat?

Hammers are such a throw away exercise, why not a regular curl of some sort? Are those worse?

Reaction score
Can you do exercises that bother you for only a few weeks, then take a week or two off of those, before they flare up? Then repeat?

Hammers are such a throw away exercise, why not a regular curl of some sort? Are those worse?
As for the subpar, not disputing that from a muscle building standpoint, for a larger guy trying to go smaller its just the cards ive got at the moment, when I am leaner I do intend to change or ease up a bit. Just right now operating with a bit of a head of steam and have just been pushing hard I am without question at times feeling overtrained or otherwise but just keep on keepin on I guess.

As for other curls. I have tried other variants but just similar pain. I will try to find a curl with a wrist orientation that doesnt produce the pain but I dont have a lot of confidence. Its the pull at the wrist when moving the weight up that generates the pain and have near zero pain on push days. Ill give some wrist wraps a shot, maybe some added stabilization or support will remove a bit of pain.

Overall it sucks, its shitty, but I just push through it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
As for the subpar, not disputing that from a muscle building standpoint, for a larger guy trying to go smaller its just the cards ive got at the moment, when I am leaner I do intend to change or ease up a bit. Just right now operating with a bit of a head of steam and have just been pushing hard I am without question at times feeling overtrained or otherwise but just keep on keepin on I guess.

As for other curls. I have tried other variants but just similar pain. I will try to find a curl with a wrist orientation that doesnt produce the pain but I dont have a lot of confidence. Its the pull at the wrist when moving the weight up that generates the pain and have near zero pain on push days. Ill give some wrist wraps a shot, maybe some added stabilization or support will remove a bit of pain.

Overall it sucks, its shitty, but I just push through it.

If it's a wrist tendon, how about using those ankle cuffs on your wrist, and doing cable curls? Takes the weight out of your hand, and stress off of the wrist.

Does light weight with high reps hurt? Might not be optimal, but it's better than pain

Reaction score
If it's a wrist tendon, how about using those ankle cuffs on your wrist, and doing cable curls? Takes the weight out of your hand, and stress off of the wrist.

Does light weight with high reps hurt? Might not be optimal, but it's better than pain
I will give it a shot.

Lighter weight, even something as light as a shoe box can impact it or be fairly painful. Its pretty touchy when its in this condition. I could curl a lot more I just cut it off around 30-35 in the hand because of the pain, lol. I figure if I am going to be in pain, it might as well be for heavier weight.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I will give it a shot.

Lighter weight, even something as light as a shoe box can impact it or be fairly painful. Its pretty touchy when its in this condition. I could curl a lot more I just cut it off around 30-35 in the hand because of the pain, lol. I figure if I am going to be in pain, it might as well be for heavier weight.
What's the injury?

Reaction score
What's the injury?
tendonitis, I have worked in IT a long time, literally from typing on a dam keyboard. That may not be the only cause but it is the likely one. Particularly email heavy days at work are at times enough to flare it up. One of the best ways to minimize the pain is to stretch. Just stretching alone the relief it can provide is considerable. Passive pain is still there at times but that is the main way I have managed the pain down.

Reactions: CJ

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The core question is just how much of the supplement industry is full of shit?
99%. Follow Snake's advice and up your protein like CJ said. In order of importance for cutting fat:

Calorie deficit
Hig protein diet
Resistance training
Sleep and hydration

Notice that supplements aren't on that list.

Reaction score
99%. Follow Snake's advice and up your protein like CJ said. In order of importance for cutting fat:

Calorie deficit
Hig protein diet
Resistance training
Sleep and hydration

Notice that supplements aren't on that list.
I hear ya

Reaction score
What's the injury?
So I tried a 100mg THC/100mg CBD topical on the forearm today, kills a lot of the pain may throw some on before lifting to see how that goes only drawback is it smells like tiger balm or vicks vapor rub, so far so good though.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
So I tried a 100mg THC/100mg CBD topical on the forearm today, kills a lot of the pain may throw some on before lifting to see how that goes only drawback is it smells like tiger balm or vicks vapor rub, so far so good though.

When the pain goes away, how long does it take before it returns?

Reaction score
When the pain goes away, how long does it take before it returns?
Ill know tonight, saw it at the dispensary and figured id give it a go, so far it takes the edge off which is all I really need. Some basic research suggests up to 4-6 hours, so could be promising if I can get through a few sets with it.

A decent palm sized container was about 28 dollars, a tiny bit goes a long way application-wise so expense isnt too deep. If it works I may try others, or up the strength and how that plays

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Ill know tonight, saw it at the dispensary and figured id give it a go, so far it takes the edge off which is all I really need. Some basic research suggests up to 4-6 hours, so could be promising if I can get through a few sets with it.

I meant prior, I thought you said when the pain got real bad, you'd stop until it went away.

I was trying to see if there was a pattern, something like after 4 weeks the pain would return.

Reaction score
I meant prior, I thought you said when the pain got real bad, you'd stop until it went away.

I was trying to see if there was a pattern, something like after 4 weeks the pain would return.
Id have to stop lifting with it for about 5-6 weeks or so for it to get back to near zero pain. I have taken breaks before to heal it, or just simply stop some lifts but because i know it will just come right back this is just me looking for ways to function through it more effectively.

The main trigger is repeated stress via whatever form, more common lately via weight training but also typing or any rigorous forearm stress. Just typing alone at 100+ wpm for an extended period and you can feel it, someone without it might normally just feel tightness, I get that alongside the shooting pain.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Id have to stop lifting with it for about 5-6 weeks or so for it to get back to near zero pain. I have taken breaks before to heal it, or just simply stop some lifts but because i know it will just come right back this is just me looking for ways to function through it more effectively.

The main trigger is repeated stress via whatever form, more common lately via weight training but also typing or any rigorous forearm stress. Just typing alone at 100+ wpm for an extended period and you can feel it, someone without it might normally just feel tightness, I get that alongside the shooting pain.

I dunno man, I'd think about dropping curls for a long time, hoping the tendonitis doesn't become tendonosis.

New Threads