squat depth?

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
everyone is different but what do u guys do to test out what ur best squat depth could be? does any of this testing ring true? just wondering as ive seen pros such as shelby starnes comment that he did atg squats and he lost muscle and it hurt his hips but if he went to parallel, or a slight bit below he saw more muscle growth etc...

does it matter more for bb, as opposed to pl?

http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well I go as far down as I can without hurting anything and that's pretty low...not quite ATG but as close as I'm going to get ;)

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I squat to the point where the crease of my hip goes slightly below the top of my knee. To do this without my back rounding off I have to stand fairly wide. Once you pass parallel your hams and glutes take the weight. It depends what you're trying to do. For quad development I would say don't go past 90. As for PL, you will find no arguments that you have to break the 90 degree plane otherwise it's a no lift. I see no point in going so low that your asshole kisses the ground though.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a BB squat and a PL squat are two entirely different lifts. One is designed to put as much stress on your quads as possible. The other is designed to move weight in the most efficient way possible.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a BB squat and a PL squat are two entirely different lifts. One is designed to put as much stress on your quads as possible. The other is designed to move weight in the most efficient way possible.

True but how are pl's so damn bug then AND strong? Never understood it....as compared to bb who seem strong and yet some are weak as hell but look awesome?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Many PL athletes incorporate repetition work in addition to their workouts. Check out Cornelius' breakdown of Westside method. It includes low rep heavy weight, in addition to higher rep work afterwards.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ill check out "the great cornholio's" write up again,

I just dont have time to do any lengthy workouts such as westside.... So im at a cross roads on what to do any more tbh, plus not lifting since oct 2014 due to health im a beginner again....

HydroEJP88

Elite
Reaction score
I go slightly below parallel, any more and I feel that I lose the drive

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you're squatting specifically for muscle growth focused on the quads then going parallel is what you need to do. You don't need to go deeper than that.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
True but how are pl's so damn bug then AND strong? Never understood it....as compared to bb who seem strong and yet some are weak as hell but look awesome?
Bodybuilders generally have bigger legs.

We gain size in PL just fine. People who are confused about how that happens simply have no idea how we train is all.

If I coached you thru a single training cycle you absolutely will put size on.

I put like 2 inches on alphad's thighs in a month or so.

Look at the high rep deadlift sets thread. I explained how there as well. Well part of how.

Who is gonna get bigger? The guy squatting 500lbs for reps or the one squatting 300lbs for reps? I named my company after this principle. If you get stronger you absolutely will get bigger. This idea that you can just do sets of 12 all day long is utter nonsense spewed by pussies who are afraid.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

We gain size in PL just fine. People who are confused about how that happens simply have no idea how we train is all.

Look at the high rep deadlift sets thread. I explained how there as well. Well part of how.

Who is gonna get bigger? The guy squatting 500lbs for reps or the one squatting 300lbs for reps? I named my company after this principle. If you get stronger you absolutely will get bigger. This idea that you can just do sets of 12 all day long is utter nonsense spewed by pussies who are afraid.

Im gonna have to get some cash and see what i can do, i havent been able to make my legs gro ever, always got strong but never got tree trunks....

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score

Where else did you give him 2"?

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I go parallel with a close stance front squat and slightly lower when in a wide stance behind the neck squat because my belly gets in the way. One time I even farted in front of a hot chick in the gym because I went to deep felt lucky it wasn't a shart:eek:

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I go parallel with a close stance front squat and slightly lower when in a wide stance behind the neck squat because my belly gets in the way. One time I even farted in front of a hot chick in the gym because I went to deep felt lucky it wasn't a shart:eek:

I'm same way with front squats. Much narrower stance and straight upright torso.

New Threads