Build muscle and drop body fat at the same time with a high fat low carb diet?

Reaction score
Build muscle and drop body fat at the same time with a high fat low carb diet?

So i have been working out for 2 years and eating well on a usual high carb high protein diet in order to build muscle. I'm (6'2/187 Lbs)

My calorie intake was always 300+ of my BMR and its respective activity level so i could bulk. I had a break of 3 months now because of an injury and I'm trying to get back. One thing i want to do this time around is to build muscle but not have that belly fat and actually get a flat stomach over time with a stable BF %.

I was wondering if working out and eating on a maintenance level while being on a high fat, high protein low carb diet could make me gain muscle while losing body fat percentage at the same time. One thing i really don't want to do is to lose muscle. I would be really grateful for your help.

noonski1

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You're talking about body recomposition, regardless of what diet you're using to achieve that.

Is it possible to eat at maintenance calories, whilst building muscle AND reducing body fat? Yes. But it is very slow, and very difficult. Especially if, I am presuming a male, you have the standard male genetics and the abdominal fat is the last to leave as you cannot spot reduce your abdominal fat. Being on a keto diet though, as you've outlined, will help shift the body fat fairly quickly based on how the long-term effects of the diet work.

If your main focus is for an appealing abdominal area you'd be better off entering a cut now, hitting HIIT cardio hard, and aiming to build your core, abs and obliques so that they have an aesthetic appearance later on during a higher body fat percentage when you eventually enter a slight clean calorie surplus.

jpreston250300

Reaction score
Get you cardio on track this summer and cut unwanted fat. Clean bulk this fall and winter, then cut spring.

Much better results - Rome wasn’t built in a few months.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
you are also basing ur cals on ur bmr instead of ur tdee..there is a thread explaining how to calculate it.. i do a high fat and low carb diet but im really just maintaining..im not losing muscle but im not gaining weight either . i think my body might be changing a little but im unsure. genetics play a huge role in how u can eat. if ur a hard gainer then just keep ur protein high and try the high fat. if u see urself gaining fat then that diet isnt for you. it basically comes down to body type and trial and error

Tatlifter

Reaction score
You could also try carb cycling.. Keep protein high and eat clean carbs and delete sugars.

Keep working out hard and build muscle will help with burning fat..

Also medium intensity cardio for 15-20 minutes 3-5 times a week.

187lbs at 6'2" shouldnt be much fat if you have a good consistent workout with great diet behind it.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
You could also try carb cycling.. Keep protein high and eat clean carbs and delete sugars.

Keep working out hard and build muscle will help with burning fat..

Also medium intensity cardio for 15-20 minutes 3-5 times a week.

187lbs at 6'2" shouldnt be much fat if you have a good consistent workout with great diet behind it.

6’2 187 smh should be no fat or muscle at all. I’m a **** hair under 6’2 and I’m 280 plus and I’m fat and muscular lol 100 lbs less I would be a twig

joeyirish777

Reaction score
in my experience switching to keto was a waste.

horrible shits, a lot of lethargy, decreased mood because I love carbs. definitely lost some muscle or strength in the process.

I only did it for its benefits of training in the water but I would advise against it because IT WILL set you back some, and if you have fragile discipline then it will likely cripple your regime due to the inability to maintain ketosis. I've seen this happen to countless people.

it also depends on physicality. for some its like rocket fuel so try it out, maybe it will click for ya.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
in my experience switching to keto was a waste.

horrible shits, a lot of lethargy, decreased mood because I love carbs. definitely lost some muscle or strength in the process.

I only did it for its benefits of training in the water but I would advise against it because IT WILL set you back some, and if you have fragile discipline then it will likely cripple your regime due to the inability to maintain ketosis. I've seen this happen to countless people.

it also depends on physicality. for some its like rocket fuel so try it out, maybe it will click for ya.

I was placed on the ketogenic diet under the advice of a moronic physician. For me, it was the headaches and my hypoglycemia returning that made me realize the keto diet was not for me. The self-professed armchair keto warriors try to tell me that I didn't know what I was doing, but I was following everything the doctor said to do.

The icing on the cake was my lab work going to total sheit. I'm talking lipids out of whack and creatinine through the roof... At least my doctor apologized for even recommending that diet in the first place. It's not a one size fits all for EVERYONE, that's for certain!