What's your Favorite Pin Site?

SAD

Reaction score
I disagree Rip. That is not the ventro-glute, that is the upper outer quadrant of the glute. The ventro-glute has been referred to as the "karate kid muscle" because it flexes when you kick your leg out to the side. It is about a two inch tall, three inch wide area below the hip bone but above the ball of the femur. I'll see if I can find some good pics of it. If not, I'll video myself tossing 3ml in my ventro-glute and post it up.

SAD

Reaction score
C/P from Marx, a mod at TID.

Hip (Ventrogluteal) Site For IM Injection

1. Find the trochanter. It is the knobby top portion of the long bone in your upper leg (femur). It is about the size of a golf ball.

2. Find the anterior iliac crest. The nurse will help you find the bone landmarks.

3. Place the palm of your hand over the trochanter. Point the first or index finger toward the anterior iliac crest. Spread the second or middle finger toward the back, making a 'V'. The thumb should always be pointed toward the front of the leg. Always use the index finger and middle finger to make the 'V'.

4. Give the injection between the knuckles on your index and middle fingers.

5. Stretch the skin tight.

6. Hold the syringe like a pencil or dart. Insert the needle at a right angle to the skin (90
degree).

7. You may give up to 3 ml. (cc) of fluid in this site.

Very easy site to fine, very few nerves, almost zero pain. Great spot for short esters.

Ventrogluteal Injection

PICS COMING

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cheers, SAD. A pinning vid would be immensely helpful.

SAD

Reaction score
Cheers, SAD. A pinning vid would be immensely helpful.

Still trying to work out the logistics of making it informative without showing all you gents my junk. Lol. I'll work on for y'all.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Still trying to work out the logistics of making it informative without showing all you gents my junk. Lol. I'll work on for y'all.

Please take all the time you need to work this out re: junk-less instructional :)

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
446659_f260.jpg

This is how I find the site I am using when I say Ventro glute. It might work for you.

use the hand on the same side as the intended site. take the thumb of that hand and push it in to find the top front edge of the pelvis ( anterior iliac crest).

Use the middle finger on the same hand reach down, press in and find the end of the hip bone (greater trochanter)

Identify the point 1/2 to 2/3 of the way from the middle finger to the thumb.

use the closed end of the protective cap from a pin and press firmly into the site. This leaves a nice circle and dot to aim for.

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol Day late and a dollar short! Admin Please delete mine. BTW Id sure like to have an edit button I could use to edit my own posts

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have an edit ...Where's yiurs gone too ?

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have never had edit or delete. I've tried different browsers too

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
View attachment 374

This is how I find the site I am using when I say Ventro glute. It might work for you.

use the hand on the same side as the intended site. take the thumb of that hand and push it in to find the top front edge of the pelvis ( anterior iliac crest).

Use the middle finger on the same hand reach down, press in and find the end of the hip bone (greater trochanter)

Identify the point 1/2 to 2/3 of the way from the middle finger to the thumb.

use the closed end of the protective cap from a pin and press firmly into the site. This leaves a nice circle and dot to aim for.

This was helpful (the graphic). Am assuming the 'same side hand' is meant for self injecting, yes?

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes. The diagram is just for the landmarks. No way you can get your own hand on your own hip as shown in the pic

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
my daughter pins my glutes, if i am alone i do quads

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes. The diagram is just for the landmarks. No way you can get your own hand on your own hip as shown in the pic

I've had success holding the opposite hand of the one in the diagram in the same position, bending your wrist down and laying my hand against my VG area palm out fingers up. I don't know if I'm explaining it well but you can get the opposite hand in the same position and find the correct pinning area this way. It's worked for me.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Marry an RN ... let her find it ... worked for me. lol

BTW- I sent a pinning pdf made by BD to POB because I had no way to post it.
It shows all of the areas you can pin both IM and Subcutaneously.

Respect,
Vette

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
@ SAD
When you
Spread the second or middle finger toward the back, making a 'V'
You'll be right in that spot that I described.
The way I described is for self-injecting. It would be pretty difficult to reach your hand around with one arm and inject with the other. That's what a Nurse does. ventro gluteal.jpg
I went to Nursing school and that's how I learned it, but when I do it to myself, it's one-handed. LOL
Place the palm of your hand over the trochanter. Point the first or index finger toward the anterior iliac crest. Spread the second or middle finger toward the back, making a 'V'. The thumb should always be pointed toward the front of the leg. Always use the index finger and middle finger to make the 'V'.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that so many here do the ventro injects.

They are the best inject sites, IMO.

No pain even with painful gear. The first time, of course, you might have a sore hip but after that there should be no problems. The first time I tried it, it was because I had some PAINFUL gear that was welting my ass up. Made me feverish as well. I was going to toss it but was able to run it using the Ventros.

Since we all learn a little differently, what I did was googled it so everyone could look through pics and vids. There is more than one spot to hit em. This link should give everyone a chance to see many different instructions on the inject-

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&biw=1024&bih=571&sclient=psy-ab&q=ventrogluteal+injection&oq=Ventro+glut&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i10l4.5437.12781.0.15265.11.11.0.0.0.0.1188.3954.2-8j1j1j7-1.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.KKtvY9TNxjI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4624fb5637e33ac3&bpcl=35466521

Just find one that is easy for you to understand ;)

HDH

pirovoliko

Reaction score
I agree HDH. VG is awesome. Never any pain outside of the soreness you mention initially. But by the second or third time its gone and the easiest injects.

pirovoliko

Reaction score
You could also try rocking from side to side while standing on your toes to find the VG muscle. That should make it flex and easy to feel. Then just shift your weight to the side opposite you are injecting into and pin slowly. That worked best for me to nail down the site.

New Threads