Born to bodybuild

Reaction score
I didn’t get into lifting until later in life and I have the same genetics as Ralphie May, so I’m really just playing around.

But it seems as though some of these guys were born for this and realized it at an early age. Did any of you? I wish I started as a teen, I wasted a lot of years not knowing how much I just love moving weight around. How many of you were in the gym at 17, looking like you were future Mr Olympians?

Heres Jay Cutler, Branch Warren, Lee Priest, and King Ronnie as teenagers.

5D4E1D15-5B34-4359-9301-9BB39AABC47F.jpegC0B6B8ED-C8D4-4D6A-88B3-A856813914E2.jpgD834A7B8-E8BE-4725-BD67-D3FE7B72534F.jpeg3681F4B9-E4F7-40B8-8774-02837B5E97EE.jpg

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can relate, not on the scale of the Mister O but in wishing someone had gotten in me head a bit earlier in life in certain areas. Definitely in the gym. Far too much time spent as a youth doing 'tings that only ended me up in trouble when if I'd focused on grooving me squat form I now know I'd have been much better off.

Its something we can pay forward though. As vets looking back on what we'd have done differently, sharing that perspective with up & comers (when they're ready to hear it) is a good way to help someone in the way we wish someone would have done with us.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started when I was teenager, buddy. My oldest brother was a weightlifter and I would watch him lift weights in our patio when I was just a little kid. He would have pics of old school bodybuilders up in his bedroom wall. Once I got into lifting weights at around 15 it stayed with up till now and still going

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Not me. All the memories and friends I met doing team sports and a variety of other athletic endeavors, I wouldn't change for anything. Those are all things that I wouldn't be able to do now, while I can still strive for better asthetic goals now.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started lifting for football around 12-13. I def dont have bodybuilder genetics. Always just looked like an athlete.

I have a buddy and old training partner who won a bunch of shows as a teen and early 20s. He was always big and ripped, and when he got on the sauce - forget about it. The kid had biceps and rounded shoulders when we were 12. Just one of those guys. He could have gone pro if he wanted to do the required amount of drugs - which he didn’t.

This guy would be 6-2, 235 on stage completely shredded at 19-20 years old. I used to train and make tren with him. He’d run 300mg tren a per week and 50mg winstrol per day leading up to a show. That was it. He’d diet for 6 weeks. He wasn’t on gear year round. He was just a freak. He would incline 315x10 when we were 19. He’s still bigger and leaner then 95% of people out there and he’s just run been on trt for years now and over 40.

Some people are just freaks. Most pro bodybuilders are genetic freaks that are willing to do the drugs to get to that level.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tren................

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you under the impression that bodybuilders who committed at an early age didn't partake in other activities outside the gym? Lol if you are, you are very wrong. This is for CJ.fotgot to reply to his post.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Are you under the impression that bodybuilders who committed at an early age didn't partake in other activities outside the gym? Lol if you are, you are very wrong. This is for CJ.fotgot to reply to his post.

Not at all, I just took it as wishing we could go back and put 100% into bodybuilding instead of whatever we were doing.

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
I got my first sand dumbbells at 11 yrs old, they were 11lbs. Lol. Used them till 13 when I got the DP gym pack( nautilus thing) 14 got free weights and a bench and 16 got a license and started at the gym and although life and injuries have taken me outa the game a few times, I’ve never looked back. Love the weights ( it’s my church and escape). Glad to hear all your stories men.

Last edited:

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was born with narrow shoulders, a barrel waist, and wide hips. I started lifting at age 14 regardless. At a certain point, genetics matter, but I take more pleasure in the journey than the destination.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
My genetics make me shaped like a giant pumpkin. Big round mofo! I love the challenge of keeping the weight off and building muscle. I'm pleased with my journey progress overall. I do wish I had started as a teenager lifting. Perhaps I wouldn't have become a pumpkin to begin with :32 (18):

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I was a chubster til I found skateboarding as a passion at 12. Then I was pretty much skinny fat til I joined the army at 18. went in at 220lbs came out at 185 from basic training skinny but still not ripped or anything.
in and out the gym never consistent for long enough, same story just moving weights without any real idea what I was doing.
started lifting more often and running early 30s, got more serious with the lifting the last 5 years.
my genetics are shit, tall oafy build. it's taken a crazy amount of work, discipline and consistency to get to where I'm at now.
nowhere near where I want to be but as long as I'm making steady progress I'm happy.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
I WAS in the gym at 17 and always had a great shape for bb. Told that often. But could never stay away from dope or slutty women long enough to do anything with it. So now after wasting 35 years just happy to be alive, sober and still moving weight.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I WAS in the gym at 17 and always had a great shape for bb. Told that often. But could never stay away from dope or slutty women long enough to do anything with it. So now after wasting 35 years just happy to be alive, sober and still moving weight.

Did you sell your body to slutty women for dope, that where you got that name?

Double anal!!!

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Playing sports from an early age, especially football (America) in HS and college it was a fairly easy transition to weight lifting for me. Although I had been lifting pretty consistently since the age of 15 or so, I didn't get serious until my early twenties. Big frame, big hopes, big reality.

New Threads