Female bodybuilding in general

Reaction score
Few years ago bodybuilding for women seems to had reached a crisis point in its development, at least at the pro level. Female bodybuilding has been removed from the Ms. International competition and this seems to be a threat that extends to other IFBB pro events. The International Federation of Bodybuilders seems to feel there is only an audience for the women who compete in bodybuilding-based beauty contest like fitness, figure or fit bikini.

So there is recognition of sport for the men, some kind of beauty pageant for the women. How amazing this is in an age of emphasis on equal opportunity and rights for women! If bodybuilding had ever managed to become an Olympic sport it would now be in trouble with the IOC, which has very strong gender equality policies. It is difficult to think of a similar example of gender discrimination anywhere else in organized athletics.

Why is this happening, will it continue – and what can be done to restore some sort of reasonable support for bodybuilding for both women and men?

SOMETHING NEW UNDER THE SUN
Of course, for somebody who was present at the beginning of bodybuilding for women in the late 1970s, it seems the sport has already been around for a very long time. But in historic terms that is simply not the case. Pumping Iron author Charles Gaines calls this phenomenon a “new archetype,” and points out that women who develop their muscles for primarily aesthetic purposes have never existed before in any time or place. It is, what I call: “Something New Under The Sun.”

So looking back at the sweep of recorded history, this period of 30 to 40 years is just an eye blink. And given the challenges women’s bodybuilding presents to our preconceptions regarding the female body, gender identification, sexuality and many other well-accepted elements of your culture, it is no wonder these women have encountered opposition. It is actually amazing that the sport, and other areas of modern life in which female muscularity has become so prevalent, have not had to deal with more obstacles than has been the case.

Female bodybuilding was well accepted in the beginning because the first women involved were not that big or muscular. (In fact, it is amazing to look back and see how relatively small the competitors were who were criticized for being too big!) Most had been training seriously for very short periods of time and top bodybuilders today, women and men both, have generally been working out intensely for a decade or two. It takes time to fully develop a physique. So the earliest competitors displayed comparatively small muscles and mostly displayed a lot of definition – achieved by hard dieting. So they were not that far from the norm of female beauty and most could accept them as attractive – and sexually appealing. So many of these early FBBs were invited to be interviewed on TV shows, were featured on magazine covers and featured in advertisements. Bodybuilder Lisa Lyon was featured in Playboy.

But when anyone with sufficient genetics works out in the gym long enough and hard enough they get keep getting bigger. So female bodybuilders gradually increased in size and muscularity over the 1980s. (So have fitness and figure competitors, by the way.) And while everyone loves kittens, not everybody likes cats. So the more developed the women became, the more criticism they became subject to. Of course, several things mitigated against this. There was the quality and beauty of many of the top champions. It is hard to reject out of hand women like Rachel McLish, Cory Everson, Anja Langer, Lenda Murray, Sharon Bruneau and others. This was not the case with a number of the other women, who looked less like “cover model” material.

But look at the difference in development between Rachel McLish and Lenda Murray in just 10 years and the degree of evolution in muscle size and muscularity that was going on is evident. Rachel didn’t look as muscular at that point as most figure competitors do today.
Another factor was the magazine coverage given these women by Joe Weider. Weider began featuring female bodybuilders in Flex and Muscle & Fitness very early on and created the Ms. Olympia to give them a world pro championship in which to compete starting in 1980. The other industry magazines generally followed his lead and advertisers began using them for ads and personal appearances.

WILL be continue

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Youre incorrect if you think we are in an “age of equality”. Men get to destroy women in all sports now. Id say, if things continue down this path, women will soon have no place competing in anything.

Its a shame.

Reaction score
Unfortunately in this age of gender bending, biological women seem to have taken a back seat. I can't believe we are in a time when I need to use the term "biological woman" to differentiate a real, traditional female from the Lia Thomas's of the world. Paraphrasing what I stated in another thread, where the hell are the feminists? There are very few out there protecting women's sports. The progress women made towards respect in the sporting world is taking a 180. This is so far out of hand. It's as if we're living the pages from some writer's warped imagination.
Do you realize how many "real" women will miss out on college scholarships if something isn't done to reverse this trend? This transcends female bodybuilding. This is far reaching.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Unfortunately in this age of gender bending, biological women seem to have taken a back seat. I can't believe we are in a time when I need to use the term "biological woman" to differentiate a real, traditional female from the Lia Thomas's of the world. Paraphrasing what I stated in another thread, where the hell are the feminists? There are very few out there protecting women's sports. The progress women made towards respect in the sporting world is taking a 180. This is so far out of hand. It's as if we're living the pages from some writer's warped imagination.
Do you realize how many "real" women will miss out on college scholarships if something isn't done to reverse this trend? This transcends female bodybuilding. This is far reaching.
The goal of all this is the chaos and distraction. Just like the farmers in Europe, it doesnt work if people refuse to accept it. But here we are…..

Reaction score
Women's bodybuilding is a great kind of hobby, many people have heard about its benefits, but not many people understand what exactly are the advantages of bodybuilding for females. What benefits can lifting weights bring and in general will be useful? Most athletes do not know this or know that it is useful and that's it. But not many can answer the question what exactly is the benefit of bodybuilding. Basically, a beautiful body is considered a virtue of bodybuilding, but this is undoubtedly good and other beneficial consequences follow from this. A beautiful body attracts people about us, and also increases self-confidence. A females usually becomes successful in other matters, not only in sports.

Women's bodybuilding can help increase muscle mass, improve bone density, boost metabolism, and enhance overall strength and fitness. However, it requires a lot of effort, dedication and consistency to achieve results and is psychologically demanding, especially when lifting heavy weights. Unfortunately, society often has unrealistic expectations and standards for women's bodies, leading to criticism and judgments towards female bodybuilders. Some people believe that women who participate in bodybuilding are not feminine enough, or may even face discrimination in some fitness circles.

Despite these challenges women feel definitlly improved if they pursue bodybuilding. This is something they enjoy and that makes them feel strong and confident. With hard work perseverance bodybuilding is, without doubt, fulfilling rewarding experience for women.

However, the benefits of bodybuilding for females are not only this. Of course above already prompts you to start doing these sport, but bodybuilding is useful for others, which is not so obvious. Female bodybuilding will be a helper for those women who want to lose weight. Genetic predisposition to be overweight will not be an obstacle to bodybuilding. During heavy exercise, the body will use fat and energy and according to turn it. This is much much more useful than dieting, which does not lead lot of women today to anything other than depression.

If women want to slow down old age, then bodybuilding is the best tool for this. Research has shown that doing resistance exercise is a natural rejuvenating process. Old age comes when blood circulation slows down. This is natural evidence and this cannot be avoided, but bodybuilding increases the speed of blood circulation and, accordingly, does not allow old age to come so quickly. At a young age, hardly anyone understands this, but you must admit, its cool to look 40 at 60s. In addition bones become more fragile with age. But as statistics have shown, older female bodybuilders have no less bone strength than young people. Due to the sedentary lifestyle of people over 30, salts are debugged in the joints. However, doing exercise the blood actively washes the joints and does not allow salts to debug them.

Bodybuilding not only helps women to look younger, it also makes you feel younger. In modern society many females have health problems. This is due to the environment, poor quality food, complications from various types of diseases. There are many reasons. Bodybuilding reduces the risk of contracting various diseases to women. Modern medicine has made great strides in the treatment of various diseases, but you need to understand that any pharmacology heals something, and something cripples. Therefore, women should take care of your health in natural ways. Best of them, for me without any doubt, is BODYBUILDING.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Here's my take on "gender affirming" , I'm all for the lbgbtC3PO's , all God Damn for it !!

Ya know why ?

Cus eventually that's our ticket being punched as well , if you can't deny some dude hormones that make him feel pretty and affirm his gender , than you can't deny me hormones to make to affirm my gender as mutant freak.

Reaction score
Gadawg and Bump... (I dont know how to make multiquote)... Yes you're right. Gender ideology is gaining momentum. Women's competitions in any sport (except for the slightly important ones like synchronized swimming, figure skating, or rhythmic gymnastics) have always been underestimated compared to men's. Which is understandable, because men's sports attract more attention from the audience, and therefore also from sponsors. They cannot be compared to the economic age of men's versus women's soccer or basketball...But I'm still not so pessimistic about women's bodybuilding itself.

Not everything is so black. In my opinion, the IFBB allows too many categories (I would remove the bikini). But female bodybuilding itself is spreading more and more, especially in third world countries (I saw it with my own eyes a few months ago in India). More and more women exercise in gyms. They want to feel good, they want to look at themselves in the mirror with satisfaction, not caring about some comments.

And here in Europe, it is no longer a specter during the warm months to see a muscular woman on the street proudly showing off her muscles in shorts, a short t-shirt or a tank top. 30 years ago this would have been unthinkable. For example, 90% of the comments on my body are positive, especially from other women

Reaction score
Women's bodybuilding is a great kind of hobby, many people have heard about its benefits, but not many people understand what exactly are the advantages of bodybuilding for females. What benefits can lifting weights bring and in general will be useful? Most athletes do not know this or know that it is useful and that's it. But not many can answer the question what exactly is the benefit of bodybuilding. Basically, a beautiful body is considered a virtue of bodybuilding, but this is undoubtedly good and other beneficial consequences follow from this. A beautiful body attracts people about us, and also increases self-confidence. A females usually becomes successful in other matters, not only in sports.

Women's bodybuilding can help increase muscle mass, improve bone density, boost metabolism, and enhance overall strength and fitness. However, it requires a lot of effort, dedication and consistency to achieve results and is psychologically demanding, especially when lifting heavy weights. Unfortunately, society often has unrealistic expectations and standards for women's bodies, leading to criticism and judgments towards female bodybuilders. Some people believe that women who participate in bodybuilding are not feminine enough, or may even face discrimination in some fitness circles.

Despite these challenges women feel definitlly improved if they pursue bodybuilding. This is something they enjoy and that makes them feel strong and confident. With hard work perseverance bodybuilding is, without doubt, fulfilling rewarding experience for women.

However, the benefits of bodybuilding for females are not only this. Of course above already prompts you to start doing these sport, but bodybuilding is useful for others, which is not so obvious. Female bodybuilding will be a helper for those women who want to lose weight. Genetic predisposition to be overweight will not be an obstacle to bodybuilding. During heavy exercise, the body will use fat and energy and according to turn it. This is much much more useful than dieting, which does not lead lot of women today to anything other than depression.

If women want to slow down old age, then bodybuilding is the best tool for this. Research has shown that doing resistance exercise is a natural rejuvenating process. Old age comes when blood circulation slows down. This is natural evidence and this cannot be avoided, but bodybuilding increases the speed of blood circulation and, accordingly, does not allow old age to come so quickly. At a young age, hardly anyone understands this, but you must admit, its cool to look 40 at 60s. In addition bones become more fragile with age. But as statistics have shown, older female bodybuilders have no less bone strength than young people. Due to the sedentary lifestyle of people over 30, salts are debugged in the joints. However, doing exercise the blood actively washes the joints and does not allow salts to debug them.

Bodybuilding not only helps women to look younger, it also makes you feel younger. In modern society many females have health problems. This is due to the environment, poor quality food, complications from various types of diseases. There are many reasons. Bodybuilding reduces the risk of contracting various diseases to women. Modern medicine has made great strides in the treatment of various diseases, but you need to understand that any pharmacology heals something, and something cripples. Therefore, women should take care of your health in natural ways. Best of them, for me without any doubt, is BODYBUILDING.
Fantastic text. I am a new member of the forum, I do not have the right to vote. But my request to the moderators would be that, in my opinion, this post should find a place somewhere on the front page of the forum, in some kind of sticky.

f.jpg

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Fantastic text. I am a new member of the forum, I do not have the right to vote. But my request to the moderators would be that, in my opinion, this post should find a place somewhere on the front page of the forum, in some kind of sticky.

View attachment 48830
it's an interesting topic, but far from being worthy of making it a sticky.

Dnewell2004

Reaction score
Female Bodybuilding definitely has its niche following. I don't care if they're on PEDs(my wife is), it's fucking Bodybuilding. As long as they're competing against other women they all have the same options for supplements, there's natural shows for a reason and NPC is trying to expand those according to what was said at a show we were at. Who are we to judge if someone wants to look like a bikini girl or DLB or Andrea Shaw. If you don't like it don't look.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I can't say I'm into female bodybuilders , i like a thick strong gal for sure but I would find it odd to "mount up" for a ride so to speak and look down and see that my date has a better and wider back than I do .....

I do like some of the female powerlifters for sure. Strong and pretty is fucking hot.

Jessica Buettner

world-champion-powerlifter-jessica-buettner-from-canada-v0-wpcrke9x8aea1.jpg

Reaction score
Bodybuilding is a business, the goal of any business is to create wealth. If you have ten products and three do not sell you get rid of those products, nothing different when it comes to our sport. If your division does not make money it has to go if you want your business to thrive.

It is not about race, gender, religion or feelings. It is only about creating a thriving business.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
There's the sport of Bodybuilding and then there's the business of Bodybuilding, they are not interchangable.

Honestly, I don't like the way Bodybuilders, male or female look theses days. I view it as a sport of extremes that has gone past the extreme.

Just my opinion.

Beti ona

Reaction score
Bodybuilding is a business, the goal of any business is to create wealth. If you have ten products and three do not sell you get rid of those products, nothing different when it comes to our sport. If your division does not make money it has to go if you want your business to thrive.

It is not about race, gender, religion or feelings. It is only about creating a thriving business.

Some promoters choose to promote a few classes, some have all classes on their shows, most promoters have only bikini or mens physique because it's the cheapest thing to include because there are tons of competitors who are willing to compete for a $500 or $1000 prize, not because the fans are interested in it.

The way to make money in the sport is not just by selling tickets, but by getting amateur participants to pay to compete. This means that while bikini, wellness and mens physique generate almost no revenue from ticket sales or PPV, they make tons of money from athletes paying to compete because they are the easiest and most accessible, mainstream classes.

The current Olympia owner is a fan of women's bodybuilding and doesn't care about the earnings of this particular division because, firstly, he is very rich, and secondly, he makes money from all the other divisions. And that's why women's bodybuilding was rescued.

In short, Olympia is sold and bought as a complete package for the whole weekend, or split between Friday and Saturday with different classes.

I'm not sure that sport should be treated as just a business and not something else, I mean, there are thousands of non-profit sports that exist and endure over time because people love to play and compete in them.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Personal opinion gripe about competition is the amount of fake tanning/spray tan involved. I get the reason but when it's so bad/extreme it looks like blackface. Critics will claim everything is fake or not real.

Last edited:

New Threads