Back problems and US Hospitals..........

Times Roman

Reaction score
I'm going to throw this out there and see what you lads and lasses think. I've been suffering from back aches for over 20 years. Sometimes they hurt so damn bad I can barely stand/walk. For years, I thought it was an alignment problem. Had some Xrays a year ago, and come to find out, I have "spurs" on my vertabrea, little sharp calcium deposits that irritate the surrounding tissue and cause a great deal of pain and inflamation. The good news is that it is not a structural problem, like a compressed disc or a bone deterioration. The bad news is that my docs refuse to go in there and clean up the calcium deposits. The deposits are far enough away from the spinal chord that there really is very little risk of serious damage if the operation goes south. They say they would only operate if the pain were so excruciating it prevented me from going to work and leading a normal life. And since I obviously go to the gym all the time, it can't be that bad.

Fvck em

So I've been thinking of maybe going to India to have the procedure done. I saw a episode on 60 minutes that gave me the idea. total out of pocket couldn't be more than $20k, including airfare and accomodations, probably alot less.

The other thought i had, is that the US used to have a world class medical system, but it looks like we have to go off shore now for that too.

Anyone have to travel outside the US to get a procedure performed not available in the US?

Illtemper

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think you would be crazy to go to India! If you cant find another doc in the us, I guess if that's your last resort, go for it... I personally wouldn't go until I hit ever ortho doc in your area and called other docs in the us... I would be scared of overseas surgery, maybe that's just me though.... I feel for your desperation bro, hope you get in touch with a doc by you that would perform this surgery for you..

Cashout

Reaction score
The US has the best physicians in the world - period. If you are serious about addressing the condition and are willing to go out-of-pocket to do so, find an orthopedic surgeon in the states that will do the procedure correctly.

In the US, I'd suggest Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Al. He and his team of orthopedics are recognized as being among the finest in the world.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had an MRI of your low back done? X-rays will only show what's going on as far as bone goes. An MRI will show the soft tissue (disc, nerve, muscle, ligaments ect...).

I'm going to throw this out there and see what you lads and lasses think. I've been suffering from back aches for over 20 years. Sometimes they hurt so damn bad I can barely stand/walk. For years, I thought it was an alignment problem. Had some Xrays a year ago, and come to find out, I have "spurs" on my vertabrea, little sharp calcium deposits that irritate the surrounding tissue and cause a great deal of pain and inflamation. The good news is that it is not a structural problem, like a compressed disc or a bone deterioration. The bad news is that my docs refuse to go in there and clean up the calcium deposits. The deposits are far enough away from the spinal chord that there really is very little risk of serious damage if the operation goes south. They say they would only operate if the pain were so excruciating it prevented me from going to work and leading a normal life. And since I obviously go to the gym all the time, it can't be that bad.

Fvck em

So I've been thinking of maybe going to India to have the procedure done. I saw a episode on 60 minutes that gave me the idea. total out of pocket couldn't be more than $20k, including airfare and accomodations, probably alot less.

The other thought i had, is that the US used to have a world class medical system, but it looks like we have to go off shore now for that too.

Anyone have to travel outside the US to get a procedure performed not available in the US?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

Fvck em

US is so far behind with back injuries.

Take a look into Germany also that actually do disc replacements I know a guy that had it done.

The US will not replace a disc they will fuse it taking away range of motion Germany replaces it with an artificial disc, so if they are that far ahead I'm sure spurs is nothing for them.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a Dr in Nevada that does the disc replacement. One of the fighters in the UFC had it done. Cant think of who it was right now.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
There is a Dr in Nevada that does the disc replacement. One of the fighters in the UFC had it done. Cant think of who it was right now.

Nice!

The guy I know had it done a few years back and at that time US was not FDA approved on it.

Times Roman

Reaction score
I was watching 60 minutes. many of the doctors there actually practiced in the USA first

the USA Is VERY restrictive in what it is allowed to do.....