Glucometer

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
== another acedemic question ==

Has anyone here messes around with a glucometer in regards to monitoring carb intake?

Inwas fascinates lostimg to a podcast about a post contest carb-up. I can’t remember if it was Justin Harris but whoever it was used a glucometer to measure blood sugar levels while they were trying to carb up the individual.

Apperebtly when the levels spiked then dropped below a certain level they know insulin was still shuttling carbs into the depleted muscles. The would then have them eat additional carbs.

Once the levels stayed elevated past a predetermined time, they knew it was no longer being taken up by the muscles. Any additional carbs would then be stored as fat. Obvisouly pre-contest you’re going to notice the slight bit of extra fat at the level they were competing at. The blood sugar levels have a signal hours before the fat would have shown up.

This is taking it to an extreme academic level but the same theory could apply to carb loading ahead of a big lift day while dieting. If you’re depleted you could load to the point you’d start storing it. The difference to a dieter is negligible but it was still fascinating to me.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like complicating things. When I hear about stuff like this I think about Evan Centaponi in the new pumping iron movie and all his scientific approach. For all that how's he been placing at the Mr. O?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like complicating things. When I hear about stuff like this I think about Evan Centaponi in the new pumping iron movie and all his scientific approach. For all that how's he been placing at the Mr. O?

It definitely is over complicating things. Hence my warning in the first line. I can’t stop my brain from going down these paths though. I know it doesn’t really apply to “real life”, kind of like my measuring estrogen thread.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of work lol.

Reaction score
Has anyone here messes around with a glucometer in regards to monitoring carb intake?

Inwas fascinates lostimg to a podcast about a post contest carb-up. I can’t remember if it was Justin Harris but whoever it was used a glucometer to measure blood sugar levels while they were trying to carb up the individual.

Unless you are well-versed in the natural rise and fall of blood sugar after meals, this is not a wise choice.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Why? Do I have quantum blood glucose levels? Do the values change if measured?

I’m talking about monitoring the levels with a meter. The levels are going to rise and fall naturally based on what I ate.You have me curious why this could in any way be dangerous.

I could understand if I was talking about using insulin or something else that could drop insulin levels.