Alcohol consumption?

Reaction score
Ugh.. had a friend come from our if town and he loves beer.

I haven't seen him in 4 years, but he is that friend you pick right back up where you left off.

I probably consumed 2k+ of calories from beer alone today

I feel disgusting
good you don't live in Czech Republic, beer is cheaper than water in many pubs :D

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The science is pretty clear at this point no amount of alcohol is good for us ... but like refined sugar or other excess calories meals ie 20 oz ribeye are also not either we have to make choices and live with them ...

Moderation and stress reduction ... even purpose and life happiness all play a role ... so as men we must make the right decisions that lead us to out goals ...

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The science is pretty clear at this point no amount of alcohol is good for us ... but like refined sugar or other excess calories meals ie 20 oz ribeye are also not either we have to make choices and live with them ...

Moderation and stress reduction ... even purpose and life happiness all play a role ... so as men we must make the right decisions that lead us to out goals ...
Yeah, there's a definite trade-off here insofar as mild-moderate alcohol consumption is often a pro-social behavior.

Pro-social behaviors are fundamentally life enhancing and even extending.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a definite trade-off here insofar as mild-moderate alcohol consumption is often a pro-social behavior.

There’s a lot of evidence that social isolation can take more years off of your life than many of the leading medical morbidity factors.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of evidence that social isolation can take more years off of your life than many of the leading medical morbidity factors.
Absolutely.

I'd wager that the person who engages in light drinking with friends 1-4x/month and is otherwise pursuing healthy habits is likely better off than the person who doesn't drink but is socially isolated.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Agreed the social /family / relationships / stress reduction of light - moderate alcohol consumption or heavier than normal meal consumption is likely overshadowed by the benefits ... where as anti social behavior and loneliness likely are far more unhealthy ... people often forget that purpose or a reason to get up everyday are super important ... things to all keep in mind when creating our goals or future plans ... don't plan on being an island all alone ... plan on maintaining and improving (even repairing broken) relationships ... our lives do indeed count on it ...

Reaction score
I'm sure those studies are framed, but lets take the extreme. Social isolation in a rural area vs living in a city with millions of kooks. Does the stresses of living in a very dense area outweigh the social isolation?

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I'm sure those studies are framed, but lets take the extreme. Social isolation in a rural area vs living in a city with millions of kooks. Does the stresses of living in a very dense area outweigh the social isolation?
That would be an interesting study.

The stuff I’ve read concentrated more on having a tight-knit social group and support network vs. being socially isolated, rather than the larger social situation, ie. city living vs. rural.

That would be a tough study to control for, though, because you then have to factor in the on-average lower socioeconomic status of rural dwellers and other factors when compared to their urban counterparts.

My thought would be that those who have a strong social network, live in a rural setting and have economic means would likely have the best health outcomes, but that’s only my hunch — it’s not based off of anything concrete.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In line with Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity is a Netflix series called Live To 100 ... they do not show any medical research or data ... just 1 person's 25 year experience with Blue Zone (clusters of long lived people over 100 much higher than average) ... they demonstrated this social component (having strong family and friend relationships - not just living in close proximity of other people like in a large city) being critical along with other factors (none of which included exercise interestingly enough they all just lived far more active lives - doing gardening - cooking or other work tasks) they seemed to have eaten more home grown food which is no doubt better than grocery store food or other processed foods ... and many did drink wine or beer ... lol

They did not comment on genetic factors ... they did comment that same nationalities living just a few dozen miles away did not have the same benefits ... so it is unlikely that is 100% genetic ... but it is reasonable to believe that genetics do play a major roll (just not the only roll) ... which is why it is a fascinating topic ...

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Worth noting:

Socially isolated people are significantly less likely to receive timely emergency care. Think household accidents, heart attacks, etc.

It's not just the sociability/community itself, but also the fact that social people are more likely to receive help in an emergency.