dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it works wherever you feel it.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I think the only benefit might be the ease of loading a fair amount of weight and getting it into place.

Heavy squats or RDLs also apply a lot of weight while extending the hips. I’m not sure hip thrusts are going to do anything more then those two movements. Try it and see if it works for you.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yes actually, there are many lifters that do use hip thrusts. Even powerlifters have over the years added the use of hip thrust as an accessory to their squats and deadlifts

Last edited:

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I think the only benefit might be the ease of loading a fair amount of weight and getting it into place.
Heavy squats or RDLs also apply a lot of weight while extending the hips. I’m not sure hip thrusts are going to do anything more then those two movements. Try it and see if it works for you.
Setup is the primary reason I recommend it to most folks. The smith machine doesn't prevent anyone that I know from being able to tilt their pelvis under load. Therefore, assuming I understood the OPs question, it works just fine.

The idea that hip thrusts don't offer anything more than squats or RDLs is completely false by the way. The reason people do hip thrusts from a bodybuilding perspective is to build the glutes - something it is better suited for than both squats & RDLs. Here's why:
- Glute muscle activation is maximized at full hip extension so it's pretty important to make sure the glutes are actually working hard in this position. Well, during both squats & RDLs, at full hip extension your glutes are doing next to nothing. They are acting as stabilizers and that's about it. During the hip thrust, they are going through peak contraction and are the primarily muscle group at play in keeping the bar elevated. Big difference.
- This is easy enough to understand for folks who get biomechanics but for those who need more conclusive proof, here we have hip thrusts vs squats for glute activation with the hip thrust winning pretty easily. Being able to produce the peak contraction in the end range of hip extension is the key here.
- We do not have a study comparing hip thrusts to RDLs. The closest you're going to get is a comparison to the standard deadlift where, again, the hip thrust wins easily for glute activation. Understanding biomechanics, I fail to see how the RDL will somehow lead to a different result. It's still clearly RDLs for the hams, hip thrusts for the glutes.

Last edited:

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the females at my gym do hip-thrusts ... I cannot add to free weight vs smith machine ...

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Mrs. BRICKS does enough for both of us and my ass is plenty big without them....

Reaction score
I like to put a band around my hips and do some as a warm up before squats to activate dem glutes. Not with the Smith machine and I have never tried them as an actuall accessory movement in my training. Sumo deadlift with a strong contraction of the glutes works wonders IMO.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Setup is the primary reason I recommend it to most folks. The smith machine doesn't prevent anyone that I know from being able to tilt their pelvis under load. Therefore, assuming I understood the OPs question, it works just fine.

The idea that hip thrusts don't offer anything more than squats or RDLs is completely false by the way. The reason people do hip thrusts from a bodybuilding perspective is to build the glutes - something it is better suited for than both squats & RDLs. Here's why:
- Glute muscle activation is maximized at full hip extension so it's pretty important to make sure the glutes are actually working hard in this position. Well, during both squats & RDLs, at full hip extension your glutes are doing next to nothing. They are acting as stabilizers and that's about it. During the hip thrust, they are going through peak contraction and are the primarily muscle group at play in keeping the bar elevated. Big difference.
- This is easy enough to understand for folks who get biomechanics but for those who need more conclusive proof, here we have hip thrusts vs squats for glute activation with the hip thrust winning pretty easily. Being able to produce the peak contraction in the end range of hip extension is the key here.
- We do not have a study comparing hip thrusts to RDLs. The closest you're going to get is a comparison to the standard deadlift where, again, the hip thrust wins easily for glute activation. Understanding biomechanics, I fail to see how the RDL will somehow lead to a different result. It's still clearly RDLs for the hams, hip thrusts for the glutes.

It also seems obvious when I stop to think about it that hip thrusts are more of a direct load than RDLs even without a study.