Protein powders, avoid being scammed.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is actually old news, but some of you may not be aware of "Amino or protein spiking" so I'm posting a couple of informative links so no one gets scammed when they buy protein powder.
I've used protein powders for decades in between meals and is the number one supplement in my opinion.
You also need to be aware of the differences in protein quality and types so you are sure that you are getting the best value for your money.
NUTRA BIO appears to be a really straight up company, I like them. I've used some of their products but have not found their whey protien where I shop unfortunately
The number one whey protein isolate that I've found is ISOFLEX by Allmax. Rated at 90% protein, but also it's the most expensive.

Watch "NutraBio CEO calls out Jim Stoppani for false protein claims" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/11M_aQvOuX4

Watch "Whey Protein SCAM Exposed | Mark Glazier of NutraBio Explains" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/PQva9KoU-Q8

DOOM

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of nutrabio. Solid post!

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of nutrabio. Solid post!

The guy is straight up and puts full disclosure on his labels. Great product.
Watch the two videos, you'll be amazed.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Muscle Feast makes a superior protein powder too.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Muscle Feast makes a superior protein powder too.

There are a lot of companies that make superior protein powder. The point of the thread is to watch the two videos and make sure you are educated on how to read the labels so you know for sure that you are getting a superior powder and not just some hyped up garbage from a company with good marketing.

joeyirish777

Reaction score
I use nutrabio as well. It's pretty harsh on my gut so I never go over a scoop, call me a btch. w/e.

side note, I'm convinced most low-key brands are cut with paper fillings. It's not proven or anything, just my little conspiracy theory.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
There are a lot of companies that make superior protein powder. The point of the thread is to watch the two videos and make sure you are educated on how to read the labels so you know for sure that you are getting a superior powder and not just some hyped up garbage from a company with good marketing.

I not only watched both videos, but have researched all of this stuff before. Nutrabio is a great company, and I both like and use their products; I just prefer a different protein powder. I research every product I use. I was just offering another example of a good product and certainly not trying to offend you.

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
I once ordered PhD Nutrition protein powder after I got the worst pain mixed with diarrhoea and bloat of my life from MyProtein.

Interestingly enough they sent a A4 x2 size leaflet detailing all of the protein scamming and how to properly read the labels and look for fillers etc. I was incredibly surprised they did this and upon checking their statements I found it all to be true(this was 5years ago and I was a true newbie).
Whilst PhD arent the most serious supps out there I certainly applaud their transparency and have kept that leaflet on my fridge ever since.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I once ordered PhD Nutrition protein powder after I got the worst pain mixed with diarrhoea and bloat of my life from MyProtein.

Interestingly enough they sent a A4 x2 size leaflet detailing all of the protein scamming and how to properly read the labels and look for fillers etc. I was incredibly surprised they did this and upon checking their statements I found it all to be true(this was 5years ago and I was a true newbie).
Whilst PhD arent the most serious supps out there I certainly applaud their transparency and have kept that leaflet on my fridge ever since.

Had a similar bad experience with MyProtein a while back. Reached out to 'em, expecting they'd send a new batch or offer a refund. Instead I got a copy & paste wall of text describing what great products they make and how thoroughly they're tested & such. I've not been back since. I'll need to have a run 'round the track with NutraBio it seems.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a concentrate guy myself, I like flavor as I eat more of it than I drink but I remember that argument when it was happening. You should also add the other side of the story to be fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDonQGI-Ks&pbjreload=101

What do you think was fair about about the video link that you posted?
Id like too hear your opinion, thats the reason for this post. To point out how certain brands are getting over on us.

lfod14

Reaction score
What do you think was fair about about the video link that you posted?
Id like too hear your opinion, thats the reason for this post. To point out how certain brands are getting over on us.

I was mostly pointing out that the method of dividing listed grams of protein vs grams of scoop that the NutraBio CEO mentioned doesn't acct for other add-ins like flavoring, and that in Jim's example both flavors had the same amount of protein, but different scoops because of flavoring differences. So you weren't getting screwed out of protein, all Jim's different proteins are listed on the front of the jug with the grams of each broken up by type. It's true you can do that easier on NutraBio since he listed every single thing in there including the amount of flavoring, sweeteners etc, which I like, but nobody else really does that so by default if you apply the NutraBio's CEO's math to basically any other product on the market it will look shady compared to his since you'll always have "extra".

Not saying there aren't scum brands out there nitrogen spiking garbage protein with BCAAs and such because there absolutely is, but having tried both a handful of Nutra's stuff and all of Jym's I have no issue believing there's WAY more flavoring in Jym's stuff. I also seem to remember a video which if I remember right said that method doesn't even work correctly for concentrates because of the fats and lactose in there with the protein that's not there in an isolate. Not 100% on that though.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was mostly pointing out that the method of dividing listed grams of protein vs grams of scoop that the NutraBio CEO mentioned doesn't acct for other add-ins like flavoring, and that in Jim's example both flavors had the same amount of protein, but different scoops because of flavoring differences. So you weren't getting screwed out of protein, all Jim's different proteins are listed on the front of the jug with the grams of each broken up by type. It's true you can do that easier on NutraBio since he listed every single thing in there including the amount of flavoring, sweeteners etc, which I like, but nobody else really does that so by default if you apply the NutraBio's CEO's math to basically any other product on the market it will look shady compared to his since you'll always have "extra".

Not saying there aren't scum brands out there nitrogen spiking garbage protein with BCAAs and such because there absolutely is, but having tried both a handful of Nutra's stuff and all of Jym's I have no issue believing there's WAY more flavoring in Jym's stuff. I also seem to remember a video which if I remember right said that method doesn't even work correctly for concentrates because of the fats and lactose in there with the protein that's not there in an isolate. Not 100% on that though.

I didn't start this thread to actually bash JYM but after looking at his labeling I am going to because he's a perfect example of my point. His product is over priced crap.
He sells a 4lbs container of whey for $59.
24 grams of protein in a 41 gram scoop.
41gram scoop ÷ 24 gramd of protein = 58.9% protein with 45 servings per container. For a total of 1080 grams of protein per container.
Remember this is whey concentrate.
I use All Max Iso flex. (Which is not concentrate but isolate)
5lbs container. Sells for $64.99.
27 grams of protein in a 30 gram scoop. = 90%protein
With 75 servings.
27 g × 75 = 2075 grams of protein per container for $5 more than JYM. THATS TWICE AS MUCH PROTEIN PER CONTAINER for $5 more.
How is this possible?
If you notice the difference between the grams of protein per scoop and the scoop size,
JYM has a 17 gram difference vs isoflex with a 3 gram difference. That difference between protein and scoop size is mostly pure garbage, flavors sugar, cream and other cheap low cost BS.
If you need better flavor you can buy a $2 bottle of chocolate syrup or honey or whatever and make your own for alot less.
This is what most consumers are not aware of are the deceptive practices of some brands.
JYMS sodium is also almost double.
So two brands. $5 difference. And one has double the protein per container and almost half the sodium and you're not ingesting a bunch of low grade fillers.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
How would you compare NutraBio to Optimum Nutritions whey?

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How would you compare NutraBio to Optimum Nutritions whey?

Optimum was and still is one of the leading well known brands and always ranked high on comparison test. ALTHOUGH they were one of the companies that were caught protein spiking. They may not be doing it anymore but I've lost my trust in them. I steer clear of their products now.

DOOM

Reaction score
Optimum was and still is one of the leading well known brands and always ranked high on comparison test. ALTHOUGH they were one of the companies that were caught protein spiking. They may not be doing it anymore but I've lost my trust in them. I steer clear of their products now.
I honestly could care less about additional sweeteners and anti caking agents. As long as the derived protein content is transparent and correct.

I add almond butter, oats and banana to my smoothies anyway. If the protein itself is derived from 100% isolate that’s just what your getting! In addition to the sweeteners and anti caking agents.

It’s not like your getting scammed on the protein content per serving. It’s more about being mislead by the weight by volume and cost per serving.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I used them for years and I switched to Syntha 6 and I love that company