Mod Squad
Reaction score
Nice pickup, don't let it collect dust! :32 (20):

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
15/04

Day 2

Leg press 3x10 (strict, slower and full ROM)
85kg (14 reps) 110kg (8 reps), 110kg (9 reps) 110kg (8 reps) 110kg (6 reps)

Smith machine squat 3x10
Can’t do today.

Leg extensions 3x10-15 (slow reps)
35kg (15 reps) (12 reps) (12 reps)

Leg curls 3x6-10 (position 1) (slow reps)
Skipped.

Smith calf raise
20kg (15 reps warm up), 60kg (14 reps) (15 reps) (15 reps)

Barbell Concentration curls
Warm up bar, 10kg (9 reps), (5 reps), (5 reps)

CGBP 10/8/6+
20kg (15 reps) (12 reps) (13 reps) (10 reps) (8 reps)

Cross trainer level 3
10 minutes
110.1kg

So I got problems. Two to make things worse.
Iv had pain in my left side for a few weeks now. I thought having a day off last week would help. It hasn’t. I’m pretty sure Iv pulled a muscle. Hate doctors. Haven’t been yet because I thought it might just sort itself out but It hasn’t. Lifting today. I’m feeling it. So Iv had to lift light.
Problem two. My joints are ****ed. I think the squats I did have really messed me up, I’m struggling to even do fairly light leg press. I put it down to doms at first but the doms have gone now and I feel like I’m 80 when I try lift.

So Iv never been in this situation before I never normally push so hard that I get issues like this. Do I keep going to the gym and lift lighter? Take a week off? I have no clue what’s best for me. Lifting lighter seemed fine.

Both things are only issues when I’m lifting, apart from a slight dull pain when I’m lying on my side.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You should only feel DOMS in the muscles themselves, NOT in the joints.

If your joints hurt, it could be time for a rest, or that you're possibly doing something wrong.

Take a week off from doing anything that hurts.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You should only feel DOMS in the muscles themselves, NOT in the joints.

If your joints hurt, it could be time for a rest, or that you're possibly doing something wrong.

Take a week off from doing anything that hurts.

there’s no doubt I’m ditching squats for a few weeks I don’t have a choice. And the side pain? That’s effecting pretty much all my upper lifts, should I just lift light for a weeks until it improves? I don’t want it to get worse.
surprise surprise I’m feeling frustrated again :32 (11):

im not in real pain. It’s a mild nagging dull feeling when I lift or lie down. But I’m terrified I’m going to make it worse and actually properly **** something.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I’m already getting gym guilt (this is my first day off) but I know I need the break. I might have to do lighter weight and higher reps for a week or two after as well. Iv never had such weird problems (my stomach muscles feel strained too) I know it’s from overdoing it. Still got that pain in the side I hope it starts to relieve this week.
Also trying to drink more water, got into a habit of drinking way too much coke (can or two a day but it’s still too much) and fizzy drinks lately and I’m sure it’s not helping.

i might do some arms today if I go to the house where my home gym is at.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
See, that is how the habits are formed. You feel guilty and lost when you miss the gym. That is a good thing in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, take some time off like CJ said and get healed and rested up and then get back to it

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
See, that is how the habits are formed. You feel guilty and lost when you miss the gym. That is a good thing in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, take some time off like CJ said and get healed and rested up and then get back to it

Iv always had the Gym guilt. Ever since I gained a lot of weight it’s felt far more important both mentally and physically. But I’m terrified of injuring myself. Might be a bit of a pussy feeling but if you get injured you take a lot longer break.
the gym is also one of the only thing I go out of my house to do as well, Living in a city with covid sucks.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You can still go and do some cardio, strengthen your heart and build up some endurance.

That's training too. :32 (20):

Reactions: Jin

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You can still go and do some cardio, strengthen your heart and build up some endurance.

That's training too. :32 (20):

i will go at least once for arms and cardio. Walking around plenty too I just don’t log that. But yeah I need to go out more. All the covid shit really hasnt helped my already not so social behaviour

Reactions: CJ

Thewall

Elite
Reaction score
I’m already getting gym guilt (this is my first day off) but I know I need the break. I might have to do lighter weight and higher reps for a week or two after as well. Iv never had such weird problems (my stomach muscles feel strained too) I know it’s from overdoing it. Still got that pain in the side I hope it starts to relieve this week.
Also trying to drink more water, got into a habit of drinking way too much coke (can or two a day but it’s still too much) and fizzy drinks lately and I’m sure it’s not helping.

i might do some arms today if I go to the house where my home gym is at.

I know that feeling. It is well worth it to take some time off here and there. Body needs it. Pays off in the end. Those little ailments are signs your breaking down. A little time here may save you an injury later.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
You don't have planned/ scheduled active recovery weeks worked into your training? There are a must to deal with accumulated fatigue.

Also, ditch the coke (soda) and perhaps put in water w/ some flavoring. Much healthier imo.

sfw509

Reaction score
Agree with the suggestions about the coke.

I understand the mental block associated with not getting to the gym. Progress starts to show and we feel like resting or missing a workout is a setback. Listen to the advice about taking some time off. You have mentioned the guilt about not getting a workout in. The mental toll of missing six weeks (or longer) with an injury would be far worse than taking it easy for a week or so. Do some cardio, hit arm and calfs, maybe throw in some stretching.

Listen to your body. Rest, recover, get back after it. You got this.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You don't have planned/ scheduled active recovery weeks worked into your training? There are a must to deal with accumulated fatigue.

Also, ditch the coke (soda) and perhaps put in water w/ some flavoring. Much healthier imo.

i did have scheduled a break but my programming has changed a few times due to joint and muscle strain coming up to this break I’m taking right now.
Also to be completely honest This has been the strictest Iv had a gym routine in 7 years of going to the gym, so it’s already been a huge journey since I started this blog. I’m still not keeping track of everything I should but iv come a long way.

i drink a mixture of water and fizzy drinks. Just sometimes I go into more of the latter when I’m not feeling In the best of moods. I have no problem drinking water Though.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
i did have scheduled a break but my programming has changed a few times due to joint and muscle strain coming up to this break I’m taking right now.
Also to be completely honest This has been the strictest Iv had a gym routine in 7 years of going to the gym, so it’s already been a huge journey since I started this blog. I’m still not keeping track of everything I should but iv come a long way.

i drink a mixture of water and fizzy drinks. Just sometimes I go into more of the latter when I’m not feeling In the best of moods. I have no problem drinking water Though.

“fizzy water”=mind blown.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
“fizzy water”=mind blown.

you can actually get fruit flavoured sparkling water I doubt it’s very healthy but that shit is good.

i do actually sometimes have a meal with a coke/coffee and water, one drink is never enough

i can’t tell if you understand by mixture I mean alternatively or if you are just joking lol.

Last edited:

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
21/04

Light arm workout and cardio. My side is feeling better so I should be good to start up again more normally next week but I still might lift lighter with more reps.

21/04

Tricep cable pull down
15kg (15 reps), 20kg (8 reps) 20kg (8 reps) 10kg (10 reps)

Face pulls
10kg (15 reps), 15kg (10 reps) 15kg (12 reps) 15kg (12 reps)

Overhead triceps cable
15kg (13 reps) 15kg (10 reps) 15kg (8 reps)

Hammer curls dumbell
10kg (13 reps) 10kg (10 reps) 10kg (8 reps)

Arm curl machine
15kg (10 reps) (9 reps) (11 reps)

Cross trainer intensity 4
20 minutes

109.8kg

New Threads