First Upper and Lower split

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
i would prefer to put this on my own page but this seems to the the right place to do it, after another month and a half my gyms finally open again and thanks to CJ I'm starting a new routine that should help me get my strength back. I just did the upper day, i have never done every body part in one gym session and it really kicked my ass, I'm used to chest/tri back/bi legs/shoulders so this was a huge culture shock for me.
I have also never properly followed a routine or kept exact track of what I'm lifting, I hate how much more time it takes, this will be a first for me but it can only help.
I've been at the gym for many many years but keep in mind I'm very untrained due to covid and I have never done anything like this before, the weights heavy for me, advice is appreciated but this is mainly for me to keep track. weights in KG I'm european deal with it,not including weight of the bar, should I?

Upper day 17/12

Incline Bench Press 3x6 last failure
30/50/50kg

Machine Rows 3x8 to failure
50/55/55 (12 reps)

Machine chest press 3x8
40/45/45 (9 reps)

Machine Shoulder Press 3x8/12
25 (8reps) 25 (6 reps) 25 (8reps)

Machine Pulldown back 3x8/12
50/55/55 (10 reps)

Cable flys
Was too tired and the only cables were busy.

Cable Tris (the rope grip) 3x10/15 failure
10 (19 reps) 15 (10 reps) 15 (10 reps)

Dumbbell Hammer Curls3x10/15
10 (12 reps) 10 (10 reps) 10 (10 reps)

elliptical machine 5 minutes.

Weight 107.9kg

Its going to take me some time to figure out what weigh is the right amount for the rep range but i guess multiple workouts will help me find an average.

I'm going to have to go light for the lower day because an hour of legs sounds like a hell of a lot of legs...

Last edited:

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Its going to take me some time to figure out what weigh is the right amount for the rep range but i guess multiple workouts will help me find an average.

Order yourself a fitness log book of Amazon

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Anytime you want to skip the cable flyes, feel free. I only tossed those in there because you said that you really like doing them. :32 (20):

Next time, drop the shoulder press machine down to 20 kg. It won't be long before you work up the 25's, so no worries.

On the Inc Bench, Chest Press, and Pulldowns, just do all 3 sets at the same weight that you finished at this session. Don't add weight to those yet.

Great job!!!

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Right now you are working on stability and muscle endurance and at first it will take you a bit longer to get it done but you will fall into it and before long you'll know it by heart. Once you have the endurance and stability, then you can think about putting on some mass. It's no different than anything else you have ever been out of practice with. Focus on getting the movements correct with light weight and when it's time to ramp it up you will have the form down to a Tee

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Anytime you want to skip the cable flyes, feel free. I only tossed those in there because you said that you really like doing them. :32 (20):

Next time, drop the shoulder press machine down to 20 kg. It won't be long before you work up the 25's, so no worries.

On the Inc Bench, Chest Press, and Pulldowns, just do all 3 sets at the same weight that you finished at this session. Don't add weight to those yet.

Great job!!!

that incline was quite heavy for me but I think I could do enough reps to continue like that for awhile. The incline really works better than the flat I used to do.

thanks for the help!

and yes the fly’s I will do when I have the energy but because of covid I don’t always get to use that because it’s one in a commercial gym.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Right now you are working on stability and muscle endurance and at first it will take you a bit longer to get it done but you will fall into it and before long you'll know it by heart. Once you have the endurance and stability, then you can think about putting on some mass. It's no different than anything else you have ever been out of practice with. Focus on getting the movements correct with light weight and when it's time to ramp it up you will have the form down to a Tee

you are right. These exercises are actually a bit simple for me, I don’t normally do so much machine but I was shocked how effective it was. Maybe I will make more progress having the form controlled by the machines for me. I definitely felt positive about it today. Actually felt like I’d been pushed for once. When I do too much dumbbells with my lack of experience I only end up getting frustrated and that’s never good.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
8 machines jeeezzzz.... That's bit much. Can you really keep your intensity high throughout the entire training session?

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
8 machines jeeezzzz.... That's bit much. Can you really keep your intensity high throughout the entire training session?

it is a lot but I think keeping things simple and focusing on improving my lifts is what I need to do. Iv been years doing advanced exercises and probably because of laziness and bad form I haven’t upped my lifts at all.
I feel like back to basics is what someone like me needs. For a few months at least.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I am in to follow this CJ is a good man always helps anyone that asks. Anyone that takes time out there busy day to help others is good in my book

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I am in to follow this CJ is a good man always helps anyone that asks. Anyone that takes time out there busy day to help others is good in my book

I agree. He doesn’t know me at all but still made the effort to give me a full workout plan. Not many people would do that.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
100% he makes so much effort for others

I agree. He doesn’t know me at all but still made the effort to give me a full workout plan. Not many people would do that.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Was originally 4 main compound exercises, he pushed for 5, I relented. Only the last set of each is to be to failure, so we'll see how it goes. And we all know there's always energy for some Bis and Tris at the end. :32 (20):

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
It destroyed me today. For the first time in possibly years. I think those extra reps and going to failure was a huge change for me. I also have never done chest,back and arms in the same day so machines is more than enough at least until I get used to the routine.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Legs day was as hard as I expected. I at least did everything I planned to except the cardio but legs day tested me a hell of a lot more than upper body. I haven’t trained legs well in a long time it’s no surprise. I’m already aching an hour after I think tomorrow’s going to hurt

Day 2
Smith machine squat 3x10
Warm up bar.
30kg (10 reps) 30kg (10 reps) 30kg (10reps)

Deadlift 3x10
Warm up bar
20kg (8reps) 20kg (10 reps) 20kg (10 reps)

Leg extensions 3x10-15
40kg (10 reps) 35kg (9 reps) 30kg (15 failure)

Leg curls 3x6-10
30kg (10 reps) 35kg (8 reps) 35kg (11 reps)

Calf machine 3x10-20
20kg (23 reps) 25kg (15 reps) 25kg (16 reps)

Cross trainer 10 minutes. Nope. No way. Too tired.

Weight 108.7kg

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
When exercising your legs you are using the biggest muscles in your body. So your heart has to work over time to get oxygen through the blood stream to your glutes, hammies, and quads. Your body also diverts blood from your organs to your lowerbody.

Ontop of that gravity is a real biatch and your legs are the furthest from your heart. Sp youre heart has to work overtime.

Legs are always the hardest for me.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
When exercising your legs you are using the biggest muscles in your body. So your heart has to work over time to get oxygen through the blood stream to your glutes, hammies, and quads. Your body also diverts blood from your organs to your lowerbody.

Ontop of that gravity is a real biatch and your legs are the furthest from your heart. Sp youre heart has to work overtime.

Legs are always the hardest for me.

same I think also because DOMS are so hard the next day and even two days after (sometimes more) I tend to avoid Doing them and of course that just makes the cycle worse. I have never spent a full hour doing legs and it shows.