Sleep + Morning vs Night “Person”

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
Hey folks -

First - roll call: Morning or night person?

night person here. Parents were too.

I can get 12 hours of sleep, but if I’m awake before noon, my body goes into full rejection mode. It’s everything from the birds chirping to the color and brightness of the sun. It’s nuts.

that all being said, I’ve taken a job (remotely) in a time zone 3 hours back - so I can start between 12-1 and work until 9-10. It’s perfect.

but it does mean if I want to start training hard again, I have to do it in the morning. See above.

Im sure some of this is in my head, but wondering if any brothers out there have any similar experiences and have been able to overcome -

disclaimers:
1. Yes, I’m a p*ssy and know this is a problem way smaller than most.
2. CJ and I live in completely opposite worlds!

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Naturally I'm more of a night person, and definitely not at all an early riser. lol Although I work on call and am forced to work at all hours of the day and night.. my schedule is all over the place, but it has trained me to be able to fall asleep in under 4mins of closing my eyes (confirmed by sleep studies).

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m a night person. One thing I’ve found interesting and have seen a few studies on is that when you wake up in the morning you shouldn’t hit snooze and get that extra 10 minutes. By doing this you are actually doing more harm than good. This has been tough on me but it has helped

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
I’m a night person. One thing I’ve found interesting and have seen a few studies on is that when you wake up in the morning you shouldn’t hit snooze and get that extra 10 minutes. By doing this you are actually doing more harm than good. This has been tough on me but it has helped

This made a huge difference in my life. I stopped hitting snooze years ago.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You are whatever type of person you want to
be.

I think most people generally enjoy staying up later unless they’ve cultivated raising early as a habit.

4:30-7:30 is my favorite time of day. I never allow my family to wake before me because I need that time alone to process and prepare for my day.

I used to get up late, I made a decision and stick with it and now I’m a certified “morning person”.

mind>everything else.

Change your habits and your body and mind will adjust.

Good thread

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Hey folks -

First - roll call: Morning or night person?

night person here. Parents were too.

I can get 12 hours of sleep, but if I’m awake before noon, my body goes into full rejection mode. It’s everything from the birds chirping to the color and brightness of the sun. It’s nuts.

that all being said, I’ve taken a job (remotely) in a time zone 3 hours back - so I can start between 12-1 and work until 9-10. It’s perfect.

but it does mean if I want to start training hard again, I have to do it in the morning. See above.

Im sure some of this is in my head, but wondering if any brothers out there have any similar experiences and have been able to overcome -

disclaimers:
1. Yes, I’m a p*ssy and know this is a problem way smaller than most.
2. CJ and I live in completely opposite worlds!

Im like you and especially struggle with morning gym, but once you get there and start a few sets you quickly forget how tired you are. It’s getting out of bed and getting there that’s the challenge.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a live with a sleep disorder and sleep when I can person.

Every time I feel like I could fall asleep I'll lay down for a couple hours and hope I can get a 45 minute nap out of it.

If I haven't rested for 8 hours by the end of the day, I lay and meditate hoping to get my nap out of it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I slept in late today, woke up at 5:00am. :32 (20):

Over the last 20+ years, I've worked so many different shifts. We literally have shifts that start every 30 mins, 24 hours per day.

I could never get used to any shift that went overnight. Too hard to make that your lifestyle when on your days off, you have to go back to real world time. I was miserable, always tired, kind of an asshole.

I got fat and lazy on those shifts. It was too easy to hit a McD's and get a bag full of greasy breakfast sandwiches... which made you almost shit your pants EVERY TIME. Good luck finding a bathroom at 3:00am. Pro-Tip: Keep a travel pack of baby wipes handy for emergency roadside poops. :32 (20):

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Definitely a morning person! Less people in the gym, less people everywhere, quite, even when I had to work nights, never could adjust!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Morning person, at the minute I am sleeping in late not getting up till 8am. Usually I put the house for 630

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Night person. Prefer swing but graveyard will do but as cj said days off suck because you end up fuking everything up.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to sleep but I’m a night person. I love staying up
late

Dungeon Dweller

Reaction score
I was a night person for most my life, but since turning 50 (and getting a new job where most everyone starts early) I've become a morning person. I still don't get up early to work out, but on weekends I have a workout and most the house chores done before my teenager wakes up. It kinda feels good.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Going to be honest I dont know if I am a day or night person, both have their benefits. I think if I had my choice I would be a day person... My schedule is all over the place.

Janoy Cresva

Reaction score
Night person but I get up early for work and just deal with it.

Wtf? I feel like a bum if I sleep past 8am. Were you a NEET?

I've worked 7-3:30, 2-10, 5-3ish, and graveyard. Even had a nice 9-5 bankers' hours job with all holidays off once. That was nice.

Last edited:

Voyagersixone

Reaction score

This made a huge difference in my life. I stopped hitting snooze years ago.

I live and die by the snooze button. And setting like 8 alarms and snoozing them all. Didn’t know it could make a difference like this — very interesting information. Thanks so much!

You are whatever type of person you want to
be.

I think most people generally enjoy staying up later unless they’ve cultivated raising early as a habit.

4:30-7:30 is my favorite time of day. I never allow my family to wake before me because I need that time alone to process and prepare for my day.

I used to get up late, I made a decision and stick with it and now I’m a certified “morning person”.

mind>everything else.

Change your habits and your body and mind will adjust.

Good thread

Obviously you’re right. It’s totally. Willpower thing. But I also have never had a positive experience getting up early - even as a kid I loved to sleep in and the mornings were just awful. It’s absolutely one of those things I need to change my perspective on but it’s a very real challenge.

I slept in late today, woke up at 5:00am. :32 (20):

Over the last 20+ years, I've worked so many different shifts. We literally have shifts that start every 30 mins, 24 hours per day.

I could never get used to any shift that went overnight. Too hard to make that your lifestyle when on your days off, you have to go back to real world time. I was miserable, always tired, kind of an asshole.

I got fat and lazy on those shifts. It was too easy to hit a McD's and get a bag full of greasy breakfast sandwiches... which made you almost shit your pants EVERY TIME. Good luck finding a bathroom at 3:00am. Pro-Tip: Keep a travel pack of baby wipes handy for emergency roadside poops. :32 (20):

5am?!?! LAZY. the wipes note is a good thing. I matter when you work!!

Definitely a morning person!! I'm the one everyone at work hates, as I'm cheery as hell in the morning!!

ugh people like you! Ha

Night person but I get up early for work and just deal with it.

Wtf? I feel like a bum if I sleep past 8am. Were you a NEET?

I've worked 7-3:30, 2-10, 5-3ish, and graveyard. Even had a nice 9-5 bankers' hours job with all holidays off once. That was nice.

I was not a NEET. But getting up for school every day was a struggle every day of my childhood. Even wound up dropping out of college because I couldn’t get up for class.

later in life I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and it made a huge difference to get treatment, but not enough to wake up early. Ha.

yeah my job is 9-6ish locally and I’ll have to move there eventually so I’m dreading that shift.

thanks so much everyone for the replies!

Reaction score
Morning person here. I usually wake up just before the alarm goes off at 5. Never hit the snooze.
I try to take a nap every day between 1-2 in the afternoon and in bed for the night by 10.

Reactions: Jin

sfw509

Reaction score
I am definitely a morning person. Always have been. I was never the kid who slept all day on the weekends. I just feel more focused and productive in the mornings.

In my 20's I worked shift work for about 6 1/2 years. It took me 2 years to recover to a normal sleep schedule after I changed jobs (midnights, afternoons, days, changed every 28 days). I prefer to work out in the morning and did everything I could to keep that going. My day shift ended at 2p so I would work out immediately after.

After I changed jobs I have worked a fairly "normal" schedule. 8a-ish to 5p-ish. I do my cardio in the mornings and train at night now. After I turned 40 I found I sleep better training in the evening.

New Threads