50 and considering adding to TRT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am 50 years old, 190lbs 5'9" and have been lifting 4-5 times a week for the last 5 years. My testosterone was discovered as low in my blood tests at regular doctor. It has gotten down to 79 serum and 3.1 free. I was bedridden. Obviously we tried the axiron first, and that pooped out on me, then we did Aveed, and that wound up making me crash for the last three weeks of the 10 week cycle the insurance company requires. So we decided to go with weekly injections and that has gotten me up to around 700 which is great.

I have really wanted to build muscle and work really hard at the gym (we have a personal trainer also once per week who does my schedule). But after so long it just seems I'll never be able to do enough at the gym to get the results I want. So I was considering adding more testosterone to what I currently take through insurance. The dr. does blood tests once every three months now so I thought I could stop taking the extra a couple of weeks before testing. Once or twice per week adding enough to help me see more results at the gym. I'm not looking to be a monster bodybuilder, but just look great at the beach just for an example. I do not want to have my hair fall out or experience cystic acne. So I'm wondering if there is a line you can go up to and then stop. Line meaning the test levels.

I have someone who can supply me with the additional test if needed. Thank you for your advice anyone who is reading this. Please forgive my ignorance on this topic I am just learning.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What is your trt protocol? & how long have you been getting the injections?

Reaction score
Thanks Elite! I give myself injection once per week at this point. Here is the info from my dr Taking Testosterone Cypionate : cypionate 200 mg/mL 1/2 ml intramuscularly once a week,30 days ,2 Milliliter

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
How long have you been doing the weekly injections? If your goal is just to look better at the beach, why don't you still with what the doc has given you and see if that provides the results you are after. I would guess that after you sustain that 700 level for a period of time your doc may lay off such frequent blood tests.

Reaction score
I've been doing the injections for about 12 weeks now. I don't notice any difference at the gym or in my body. I have been doing the various doctor prescribed trt for three years. I guess I think why not try it and if it doesn't make a difference stop? Why not feel definitely awesome now instead of just ok?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been doing the injections for about 12 weeks now. I don't notice any difference at the gym or in my body. I have been doing the various doctor prescribed trt for three years. I guess I think why not try it and if it doesn't make a difference stop? Why not feel definitely awesome now instead of just ok?

100mg/week isn't bad. You can make good gains on that trt dose. I'd recommend holding off as you've only been at it 12 weeks.

Do you have some goals in mind?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Let's start by looking at your training and diet first. No disrespect to your trainer, but I've known enough of them to know that a lot of them are full of sh*t.

What does your current training / diet look like?

Reaction score
100mg/week isn't bad. You can make good gains on that trt dose. I'd recommend holding off as you've only been at it 12 weeks.

Do you have some goals in mind?

I could be wrong but it looks like it's 50mg/wk I think 200mg is the total for the month and i take 1/4 of that each week. Is that correct? Goals are not specific, but I want the best body I have ever had. And I want to have my energy back and be 110% again.

Reaction score
Let's start by looking at your training and diet first. No disrespect to your trainer, but I've known enough of them to know that a lot of them are full of sh*t.

What does your current training / diet look like?

Monday through Friday it's weight training and sometimes on Saturday 1 hour typically each day. The training is lower weight, higher rep training and he has it divided up into chest1, chest 2, back 1, back 2, legs1, legs 2. We will do back and triceps, back and biceps, chest and biceps, legs and triceps and ab exercise thrown in between some of the sets. I'm not unhappy with how he has trained us, as we left another trainer a year ago who was not hearing us and just had us do the same exercises every week. We (we meaning me and husband) didn't like that and the new trainer we can tell muscles that haven't been previously used are now being used and sore. But no deadlifting or heavy squats with this new trainer.

The diet is up and down i'll admit I'm horrible during the holidays and go on a diet every January and I'm on one now. 1700 calories a day low fat, medium protein, low sugar and salt. The rest of the year it sort of evens out and I try to get in as much protein as I can, including shakes daily.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but it looks like it's 50mg/wk I think 200mg is the total for the month and i take 1/4 of that each week. Is that correct? Goals are not specific, but I want the best body I have ever had. And I want to have my energy back and be 110% again.

MATH!!!!

Its a 2ml vial of 200mg/ml. That would make 4 injections per vial or 100mg/week. Everyone here knows I'm a math protege. :32 (20):

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Trainers are kind of a crap shoot. If you are getting results that you like that's great.

Reaction score
MATH!!!!

Its a 2ml vial of 200mg/ml. That would make 4 injections per vial or 100mg/week. Everyone here knows I'm a math protege. :32 (20):

LOL evidently you are! I looked at the tiny bottle WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS and saw each one is 200ml. The prescription says 200 not 400 so I got totally confused. See you helped me already thank you. Now does extra testosterone help eyeballs see better?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
LOL evidently you are! I looked at the tiny bottle WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS and saw each one is 200ml. The prescription says 200 not 400 so I got totally confused. See you helped me already thank you. Now does extra testosterone help eyeballs see better?

Well, I can't see shit up close soooooo... LOL

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hair loss & cystic acne on test only isn't usually an issue. Unless you are prone to hair loss.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
So you're on 200 mg/ wk right? You lost me a little in your posts.

Typical SOP for this is having your Dr. test once every 6 months or even once a year. You get BW done for the Dr. and then run a blast, go back down to your TRT dose for 8 weeks prior to your next 6 month BW. You will be short on scripted test so you'll need to fill the void. If he's testing every 3 months you're screwed. Do your research on other compounds and esters, you may find an answer to your problem but you have to know what you're doing. It sucks when this becomes a chess game.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Am I the only one who would split that 1/2 ml injection per week into two .25 ml injections? Granted, my only once per week experience was with Sustanon @ 250 mg per week administered at a TRT clinic... I just find that multiple injections keep things smoothed out for me. Plus, at .25 ml, you can do that subcutaneously, assuming you get decent results from administering that way.

Other than that, I'm 46 and I follow Snake's advice. The day I get my 6 month blood work is the day my blast begins. At the beginning of last year it was test/EQ and this year it will be test/deca. Unfortunately, I was injured for my second 6 lab work month blast, so I held off on doing test/tren in October of last year. Because of joint issues, that is what prompted me to give deca a go this year and forgo the tren all together. In fact, I may add deca to my TRT protocol post blast at a lower dosage.

Reaction score

Typical SOP for this is having your Dr. test once every 6 months or even once a year. You get BW done for the Dr. and then run a blast, go back down to your TRT dose for 8 weeks prior to your next 6 month BW. You will be short on scripted test so you'll need to fill the void. If he's testing every 3 months you're screwed. Do your research on other compounds and esters, you may find an answer to your problem but you have to know what you're doing. It sucks when this becomes a chess game.

UGH so you are saying it takes 8 weeks to level out at a normal testosterone level in the insurance company’s eyes (300-1000)? That would mean I would only be able to supplement for 1 month after I was tested. Correct? I wonder if that would benefit me anyway.

Reaction score

Sorry no I’m on 100mg a week.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I would say you might need to drop your trainer and get with someone who knows what theyre doing. "Light weight, high reps" is good for the beginning to build a little strength and protect your connective tissues, but if you are wanting to build muscle, that dog wont hunt.

Youre still pretty early on in trt to see how that protocal works but if you dont feel a lot better by next doctor visit, have a very straightforward talk about upping your dose. Most of us are taking more than that for trt.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As Snake suggested blood work every 3 months makes it a very tight window for an increased dose.

Snake!! I did the Fukn Math! I should neg rep you for not reading my response! :32 (8):

New Threads