Debate: How many sets?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What do you all think is an appropriate number of sets to properly smoke a muscle group? I personally believe you can do it in 12-14 sets, including warmups, with maybe 6-8 of those being actual working sets. Maybe a drop set at the end of last set of workout. This assumes you follow a traditional 5 day split keeping reps between 8-12. What do you all think?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I usually do 14-16 working sets plus warm up on large muscle groups. However, I'm an old bastard & make sure the muscle is good & warm before I do a working set.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just normally go till the muscle group hurts. Lol. Not to much but just enough.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gotta get my bro manny in here. He's kind of like our local cashout...MANNY, GTF IN HERE!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You could get Manny in here except he can't post because you locked the thread... I'm not unlocking it this time.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IMO, If you can go more than 12 sets your not lifting enough weight or doing enough reps.

Hockeyplaya18

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
12-14 range is what I have been using with the 10+ rep's (Get to 10 atleast then stop counting, rep out till it dont work no more!)

SystM

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What's up boys

Personally I think a few things come into play when, as per spongy "smoking" a muscle group... It's all relative to what you have been doing

Progressive increases in volume are my favorite way of boosting the intensity of a workout
I.e. increasing sets each welch systematically and every fourth week of training take 4 days off still hitting chest back legs in a 5/3/1 fashion

I would firmly agree that I am around 12-15 sets would suffice but for one who has been used to training higher volume I would recommend a higher intensity lower volume higher frequency

Spongy and others. What amount of reps are you doing per set?

Training programs with high set volume and low reps can brutally awesome :)

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like 3 or 4 sets and usually have about four or five exercises so that puts me between 12-20 for an average of 16- and that is more than a lot of the guys...especially the younger ones do I think.

That being said I think it depends on a LOT of factors.... it is different for me if I am cutting/bulking.

It also depends on the muscle group. I can smoke my biceps in four sets each of three exercises. My back I usually have about five or even sometimes six (depending on if shrugs are with shoulders or back that rotation).

I do know this- MIX IT UP. Muscle confusion is where strength gains come from IMO.

Good thread brother-

Much Respect,
Vette

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The least number possible while still being able to increase my reps from workout to workout (currently 4)

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Franco Columbu said: never work the muscle past "the pump". Straight Bro Science that will stop even a pure bred idiot from over-training.

Allot of talk about gear, stacks, diet, reps and weight, duration and intensity. For me it's all about taking the muscle to complete failure, if you can can do this for 9 sets, eat, rest and recover properly......the muscle has no option other then to survive and grow.

Listen to your body.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like 3 or 4 sets and usually have about four or five exercises so that puts me between 12-20 for an average of 16- and that is more than a lot of the guys...especially the younger ones do I think.

That being said I think it depends on a LOT of factors.... it is different for me if I am cutting/bulking.

It also depends on the muscle group. I can smoke my biceps in four sets each of three exercises. My back I usually have about five or even sometimes six (depending on if shrugs are with shoulders or back that rotation).

I do know this- MIX IT UP. Muscle confusion is where strength gains come from IMO.

Good thread brother-

Much Respect,
Vette

Vette Excellent!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
12-14 range is what I have been using with the 10+ rep's (Get to 10 atleast then stop counting, rep out till it dont work no more!)

"rep out until it don't work no more"....................THAT is The Shit!

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

^^^^ This above. I have tried so many different approaches through the years. Just being caught up in following different rep/set approaches. Ultimately leading me to my own body's philosophy, being each muscle group needs a different approach. And Muscle confusion as well as mind to muscle connection are my keys to growth. TRAIN TO GET BETTER, NOT TO GET IT DONE....

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My trainer has me in the high rep range. Believe it or not he has me doing a few moves that are light weight and 100 reps. I'm currently doing several moves that are 4 sets of 25 reps. The most brutal thing he has me doing is a straight bar bicep curl 6 seconds up and six seconds down 2 sets 25 reps. I know you're going to think I'm a pussy but I just moved up to the 25lbs bar. Last week when I finished arms I literally had to ask a guy in the locker room to help me take my shirt off.....as gay as that sounds.

SystM

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Good thread brother-

Much Respect,
Vette

Ya I do 1 movement for delts and throw it in after chest

I agree that o nbviously a bigger muscle group is going to need more work. You can rash your back and still have gas left in most cases

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the olden days we used to do 12-14 for major groups and about half that for support groups (bies, tries, ) and would bomb abs with high reps, and calfs, more often. mike and vette remember the 80's lol

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
10-15 sets depending on weight and what you consider a warm up set.

i.e.... i do a warm up with like 135...two sets... than 155 2 sets, than i go past 200. So hard to say.