Anyone ever file for a patent?

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I have this idea... It's a better way of doing something that already has a patent. Not sure how to go about it, how much it will cost, how to protect the idea, etc... I have made a successful prototype and really want to go thru with this so I never have to work again lol

Are there lawyers that specialize in this?

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes there are patent attorneys. Expect to pay about 10 grand to get the patent.

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good lord. that's really gonna cut into my gear funds

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll file it for free to help a fellow SI bro out....just PM patent info and pic of prototype to me and I'll take care of the rest:D

pirovoliko

Reaction score
First a patent attorney would do a patent search and then fill out and file the patent application and then it needs to be determined if a patent can even be issued. It depends on similarites and differences between your thing and whats patented. For a new patent on an item in existence, the criteria of originality is extremely high and harsh. It could include appearances before the patent office to argue the validity of a patent also.... So you could spend a lot of money and easily be refused a patent...

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You dont need an attorney. Fill out the application and let the patent office let you know weather or not your idea is worthy or an intellectual property protection. No reason for 2 different people to do the same research when the patent office has the final say. Years ago my grandfather filed for one and got it all on his own. FYI he blew alot of money to produce this thing and market it, ultimately he failed but at least he tried. Technology evolved and made his idea obsolete. Later UPS bought the propriatary rights to it but it didnt break him even.

Good luck hope this helps.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-patent-yourself-29493.html

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to tell you. The first attempt failed but the reasons for the denial could give you some ideas on how to modify your project not to interfere with what is already on the market.

For example, trash bags, and then trash bags with a draw string.

Something else to think about is that many patents are only issued for a certain number of years and then are not renewed or you can pay a royalty to the origional ideas owner and run with your idea. Like all the major chewing tobacco companies pay the creator of the zip lock technology a royalty to make their product last longer. There alot of possibilities.