Beginner Split Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone

I have been casually working out since high school I am 22 now and want to put on mass/improve overall body strength. I have primarily done cardio and trained to run. Now that I am older and filling out my frame I am looking to switch gears. Does anybody have a recommend split and workout course that'll help me get my body used to heavier weights and conditioning? Ultimate Goal as of right is to go from 140 to 165 by end of next year.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
How many days per week will you be training? Not best case scenario, but 100% certainty, you'd bet your life kind of certain.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If its MWF, or 3 days that don't have any back to back, I'd suggest a Full Body split all 3 days. You're new, you'll make great progress on that. And you'll get more frequency and practice doing the lifts.

Ideally you'll get up to 4 days per week at some point, and then I'd switch to an Upper/Lower. You'll be better trained at this point, and hitting everything during every workout just can't be done, as you'll need for work per body part at this point.

Eventually you'll get to a point where Push, Pull, Legs is better, because you'll be even stronger and able to push harder, so you'll need more recovery time before you're able to train a body part again.

And definitely eat to grow!!!

If you're interested, I can give you a basic template of what a day would look like.

Reaction score
If its MWF, or 3 days that don't have any back to back, I'd suggest a Full Body split all 3 days. You're new, you'll make great progress on that. And you'll get more frequency and practice doing the lifts.

Ideally you'll get up to 4 days per week at some point, and then I'd switch to an Upper/Lower. You'll be better trained at this point, and hitting everything during every workout just can't be done, as you'll need for work per body part at this point.

Eventually you'll get to a point where Push, Pull, Legs is better, because you'll be even stronger and able to push harder, so you'll need more recovery time before you're able to train a body part again.

And definitely eat to grow!!!

If you're interested, I can give you a basic template of what a day would look like.
I am interested in the template I appreciate it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I am interested in the template I appreciate it.
OK, very basic just to get the ball rolling, establish working out as a habit, while not overwhelming you...

Alternate these 2 days, going 3x per week.

Day A
-Squat Pattern exercise (ex. Squats, Hack Squats, Goblet Squat, Leg Press if you won't do a squat variation, etc...)

-Horizontal Push exercise (ex. Barbell benchpress, DB benchpress, machine chest press, etc..)

-Horizontal Pull exercise (ex. Bentover barbell rows, T Bar Row, DB rows, chest supported machine rows, etc..)

-1 or 2 Fun accessory movements of your choosing. Could be bicep curls, calf raises, whatever keeps you interested. I'd suggest 1 to be a weighted carry variation, like a farmer carry. Great exercise.

Day B
-Hinge Patten exercise (deadlift, trap bar deadlift, Romanian deadlift, etc...)

-Vertical Push exercise (high Incline Smith Machine press, overhead DB Press, machine overhead press, etc...)

-Vertical Pull exercise (ex. Pullups, Chinups, Ntrl Grip Pullups, cabke/machine pulldowns, etc...)

-1 to 2 different fun accessory movements.

========

First rotation of each day, pick ONE exercise from each group, work up in weight to ONE somewhat challenging set at about 10 reps. Note the weight used.

The following rotation, do TWO sets of that exercise at that same weight. If the first set is really light, add weight for the 2nd set. Note the weights.

The next rotation do THREE sets of that same exercise, at the sane weight. Again if it feels too light, add weight.

From there, stay at 3 sets of each for awhile, working on perfecting form first and foremost, and adding weight when appropriate. Keep a log book of what you did, exercise, weight, sees, and reps.

You should be able to run that basic template for awhile and make solid progress before you need to switch up to a slightly more advanced layout. But no need to change as long as you're progressing.

The exercise suggestions are listed in order that I'd recommend them. Not everyone will be perfect for you, but they have a probability.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If as I suspect, you have really tight ankles and hips from years of running, choose Goblet Squats as your squat pattern. If needed, elevate your heels on 10 lb plates while doing them.

When doing them, go slow and controlled both up and down, squat as deep as you can without your hips tucking under your body, and hold that position tightly for a second before standing up.

This will help you bold up your ROM/mobility to advance to a barbell squat, which will be better to progress with. Also work on hip and ankle mobility whenever you csn

Reaction score
If as I suspect, you have really tight ankles and hips from years of running, choose Goblet Squats as your squat pattern. If needed, elevate your heels on 10 lb plates while doing them.

When doing them, go slow and controlled both up and down, squat as deep as you can without your hips tucking under your body, and hold that position tightly for a second before standing up.

This will help you bold up your ROM/mobility to advance to a barbell squat, which will be better to progress with. Also work on hip and ankle mobility whenever you csn
You are right my mobility is limited never thought it was from running my groin area is tight too sometimes

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You are right my mobility is limited never thought it was from running my groin area is tight too sometimes
Very common. It will get better, but it takes time and consistency.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
There are stretches you can do to help with that; hip and groin openers specifically. If I do them regularly (once or twice a week), then I can stay relatively loose.

However if I don't stretch for a long time, then I find if I stretch daily for 2 weeks (30 minutes per day), then I can regain my flexibility and mobility in my hip/groin area.

Reaction score
I started with Stronglifts 5x5. There's a paid app as well as free spreadsheets available off the web. Everything is planned out so no thinking involved. Just go to the gym and do the workout.

More of a strength routine but you'll build mass and I think it's a good way to learn the major compound lifts and build strength. This gives you a good foundation to go into a more hypertrophy specific routine later.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I started with Stronglifts 5x5. There's a paid app as well as free spreadsheets available off the web. Everything is planned out so no thinking involved. Just go to the gym and do the workout.

More of a strength routine but you'll build mass and I think it's a good way to learn the major compound lifts and build strength. This gives you a good foundation to go into a more hypertrophy specific routine later.
Also a very solid option.

New Threads