Bitch Better Have my Turkey

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In 20+ years of vol work at the food shelter and 12yrs as a company, I am considering finding another way for us to serve our community. Ive been handing out, cooking and whatever needs done here long enough to tell when a person is hungry and needy or just fucking greedy. For my employees its manditory, I pay them but its not optional they have to work one day a week down here per month through out the year.

There are people here with very nice clothes, cars, cell phones...cashing in on the meals were giving out. (about $150.00 worth). We cannot turn them down. Now later today I guarentee you well be out of food, and then the really needy folks that are on busses and on foot will get here (because they cant afford cars) will have to do without. Mgr is afraid to turn down anyone for PR reasons.

This is not going to ruin our holiday spirit but we will not be back next year. I liked it better when it was handed out a plate at a time. And if you wanted a sack of groceries you got it through proper channels. This opening the door and seeing who shows up is not working. Oh all the vouchers you get with the food, asking for donations, and or contact info to volunteer yourself, are blowing around in the parking lot. Its sick.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was the executive director of an emergency food provider for several years. One thing that I learned is that you can't judge everyone by what they have, drive etc... Especially in today's economic climate. I've seen people with a mercedes s500 that went from rich to destitute in a matter of months. A lot of them have cell phones but have no home phone because the prepaid phone is cheaper. A lot of today's impoverished are called "house poor." They have a house and two cars in the family, reside in a suburb but can barely make ends meet.

This kinds of judgement can only be made on a case by case basis. I would suggest that you not give up on volunteering. Even if you help only one legitimate family have a better thanksgiving out of every five families you provide for, then you've done well.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought I was gonna see a gif of someone getting smacked with a turkey leg. I don't know why though.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your words and experience but your not down here this am. Im sure there are some needy folks in this group but some of them are drunk and high on meth. Not the grateful dignified group weve been helping down here for years. Who by the way often stay and work a half a shift to pay it forward. None of this group has offered.

This food bank is made possible by a handful of generous donors and when were out of food were out. There will be more people here later and we wont be able to help them if were out of food.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Stuff like this makes me mad, I see same people in ER not taking care of themselves seeking drugs and we have to take care of them. Makes me sound like terrible person, but damn, some people don't care how much the hospital has to swallow to keep seeing them.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your words and experience but your not down here this am. Im sure there are some needy folks in this group but some of them are drunk and high on meth. Not the grateful dignified group weve been helping down here for years. Who by the way often stay and work a half a shift to pay it forward. None of this group has offered.

This food bank is made possible by a handful of generous donors and when were out of food were out. There will be more people here later and we wont be able to help them if were out of food.

Yeah fuck the drunks and addicts though... I was ruthless with those types. If they smelled like booze or looked high or even hung over I'd throw them the fuck out. That shit I have no tolerance for. Serving them will cause bad PR not refusing them.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not having any pride is what it comes down to. Id have a hard time walking in there and taking something for nothing even if I needed it. Society is totally screwed up right now.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah fuck the drunks and addicts though... I was ruthless with those types. If they smelled like booze or looked high or even hung over I'd throw them the fuck out. That shit I have no tolerance for. Serving them will cause bad PR not refusing them.

Dude they hired this college kid (Biff or Tad I think is his name) he has no idea what to do here. I dont want to step on anyones toes but someone is going to have to otherwise well have gypsies up here next.

Fuck it Ill put my cape on and eat my spinich and ..... na heres your turkey mam, happy holidays. What a mess, wheres Batman when you need him?

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not having any pride is what it comes down to. Id have a hard time walking in there and taking something for nothing even if I needed it. Society is totally screwed up right now.

THIS THIS ^^^^ where did it go man.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I believe in helping those that help themselves. Had a guy at a shelter here that used to come in and start cleaning and emptying trash. Then ate. Then worked some more before he thanked us and left. Found out last year that he was killed in a robbery. He was an innocent bystander. Turns out he had PTSD and refused treatment without paying for it. Guy was a Vet and had a couple of kids he raised before moving out and on to the streets. Everyone knew him and liked him. He used to ask everyone questions about themselves like Socrates so the called him 'The Philosopher'. I always wanted to give him a wad of money but never did. Somehow I knew he wouldn't take it and it would be beneath him to offer it.

Yes, seems our definition of poor has gotten pretty damn silly... this guy had nothing and would take nothing unless he could do something to 'earn it'. I take that back, he did have a few things: Friends, admirers, character, integrity, pride, respect and hope.

Maybe he wasn't poor after all....

Happy Thanksgiving,
Vette

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We are traveling this year over 100miles to get away from the gold rimmed teeth, Nikes, hair, finger nails and designer clothes with their fucking hands out.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see a group of kids standing out side the grocery store looking for money for shit that always bothers me. I really think this is setting a bad example for our kids. If your sports team or whatever needs to raise money how about trying to earn it? Correct me if I'm wrong here cause at times I think I maybe being a douche for thinking this.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see a group of kids standing out side the grocery store looking for money for shit that always bothers me. I really think this is setting a bad example for our kids. If your sports team or whatever needs to raise money how about trying to earn it? Correct me if I'm wrong here cause at times I think I maybe being a douche for thinking this.

You're right... i think donations from family and neighbors for the "lift-a-thons" like i used to do in high school are ok... and straight up selling food/candy/whatever stuff to bring money to the team... i had to do this if i wanted to play football. no I wasn't poor at all but earning it made it more valuable.

I have seen the same as the above fellows at the local shelters I work with. It makes me sick sometimes.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was the executive director of an emergency food provider for several years. One thing that I learned is that you can't judge everyone by what they have, drive etc... Especially in today's economic climate. I've seen people with a mercedes s500 that went from rich to destitute in a matter of months. A lot of them have cell phones but have no home phone because the prepaid phone is cheaper. A lot of today's impoverished are called "house poor." They have a house and two cars in the family, reside in a suburb but can barely make ends meet.

This kinds of judgement can only be made on a case by case basis. I would suggest that you not give up on volunteering. Even if you help only one legitimate family have a better thanksgiving out of every five families you provide for, then you've done well.
Those people can sell those assets before begging.

What happened to pride?

I stopped wasting my time with soup kitchens when I was in high school. I had less than half the people standing there with their hand out. And I earned my food.

You'll see no sympathy for the land rich from me.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those people can sell those assets before begging.

What happened to pride?

I stopped wasting my time with soup kitchens when I was in high school. I had less than half the people standing there with their hand out. And I earned my food.

You'll see no sympathy for the land rich from me.

I think Im going to get you an AV for thanksgiving. What would you like sir?

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

a lot of them in this area will do car washes for donations. i admit its not exactly like a detail job lol but at least they learn that they WORK for what they EARN.

there is a 20 something year old guy that comes through this area every so often and offers to do any work you want for donations . he will wash cars,mow grass , rake leaves , clean gutters or what ever and i havent heard him gripe once about what was handed to him for pay. now that he has a rep he can actually make a pretty good chunk in a neighborhood on a good day.some people still respect a man who is willing to hustle for his living.

bubbagump

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
THIS THIS ^^^^ where did it go man.

Its what society has been conditioned to. Fucking Gubment cheese and no child left behind fucking liberal mentality. Why struggle when you can get a free pass. Living off of other peoples money is a career these days.