Failure Training is King of Hypertrophy

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Speaking from the angle of having had a stroke its not the filling of the pants that's the embarrassing part of the show , it's the being changed. :cautious:

:ROFLMAO:
That gave me a sudden feeling of sadness

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
And you’re too heavy for the bathroom changing tables.

Throw you on the tailgate of the ems truck.

I use to change my sons diapers in the tailgate after he peed on my headliner in my truck laying him in the seat changing his diaper.

Never again I said. Out in the cold you go.
Omg the first big puke my son had in my truck. I was just like where do I even fkin start to clean this shit up lol

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
That gave me a sudden feeling of sadness
Not to shabby when it's the right nurse 😎 ... ya just got to do a lot of praying that it's Nurse HotnTott's night to work and not BobtheIntern ... yeah no thanks I'm good til shift change comes , thanks !

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
sure, but injuries are always a risk - regardless of what style of training you're doing.

One to be minimize.

All due respect brother, have you ever had a complete rupture? I will say, I probably wouldn't have changed a thing in retrospect.

I think that philosophy is reserved for the youth. Youth in the sport to me is defined as 35 and under.

Reaction score
All due respect brother, have you ever had a complete rupture?
No. I tore a handful of pec fibers maybe 3 years ago - It sounded like someone ripping a seat belt in half. I was able to rack it and luckily be back to benching in 3 months (I think).
This happened well below my training max while running 5x5 on flat bench. Certainly not to failure. I do understand your apprehension though.

Out of curiosity, did you perform warm up sets before doing your working weight? I know you've been at it much longer than I, I'm just curious.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
No. I tore a handful of pec fibers maybe 3 years ago - It sounded like someone ripping a seat belt in half. I was able to rack it and luckily be back to benching in 3 months (I think).
This happened well below my training max while running 5x5 on flat bench. Certainly not to failure. I do understand your apprehension though.

Out of curiosity, did you perform warm up sets before doing your working weight? I know you've been at it much longer than I, I'm just curious.
I'm a bit crazy with my record keeping so I look that day up. I could show you records from 20+ years ago.
Bar x 15
135x10
225x8
275x3
310x6
330x6
350x2.5
The week before (bench once a week) I crushed the 350x5 and thought, save that 6th one for next week. My spotter heard that pec. pop 🤮. Worse part was it knocked me out of a PL meet.

I was 47 at the time and 216 when it happened.l started benching 6 months post-op with the bar. Good part was a years later I crushed 390 in a meet at 50 y.o. Gym PR was 400 pause before the injury.

From age 10, I was involved in some individual sport; wrestling, track and later BBing and PL. I have 4 young men, 3 of which were in track and field and here's something I have learned, taught my young men and will pass on to you; "It's not always the fastest or strongest man that wins a competition, it's usually the healthiest"

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Bump. Cause we can never have enough debates, right?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I laugh when people say -- "I don't need motivation because I am just too fucking cool for school (or whatever reason they do not need motivation)" .. when fucking Mr Olympia and other Pro's journal their work out journeys over years detailing days ESPECIALLY they do not want to go the the gym for whatever reason - which in turn helps us mere mortals overcome our smaller issues and make it the gym with greater consistency .. everyone without exception experiences this (or they are just too new to know it or understand the conversation) .. the fact they have difficulty accepting it or communicating about it simply makes me laugh .. which is why I mention the psychological component of working out more than most ... apparently the side effect is that it makes people far more aware of their tiny PP's .. and of course the don't like it ...
Well, is called fkn discipline. Doing what you need to do to reach a goal when you don't want to do it. There's at least 1 day every week that I don't want to hit the gym. Nothing will "motivate" me to go. But I go. Why? Because.

Reaction score
Working to failure is fun if it's the last thing you do in a day. Just eating and chilling a bit before bed. But if you have a lot more to do during the day/night... like this:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Working to failure is fun if it's the last thing you do in a day. Just eating and chilling a bit before bed. But if you have a lot more to do during the day/night... like this:

Fukk that, take every set to max quality reps.

diesel707

Reaction score
I think generally people overthink this a lot hypertrophy isn't very hard to understand I don't think I mean DC explained it pretty damn well hell almost 30 years ago now and studies prove it to be true today. this is hypertrophy in my eyes: first standpoint is get really good at doing exercises correctly through a full range of motion, this is hypertrophy training not powerlifting

Rule 1: Train to failure (doesn't matter the rep range just train to failure in all rep ranges from 6-30) Exercises that are prone to injury change the rep ranges higher, safe machines etc make the rep ranges lower. Most important factor is going to 0-1 rir and keeping your intensity high, your body doesn't understand the weight only tension and intensity.

Rule 2: spend time in the stretched position, the most stress and tension on a given muscle is from the stretched position so really get used to pauses at the bottom of exercises and feel that deep stretch.

rule 3: recover no need to explain this.

Rule 4: do this over and over again as quick and often as possible. I like to say 2x a week of each bodypart is best and I rotate volume and rep ranges in each one to make sure I can recover for the next one.

this is how I look at it.

Reaction score
Well for sure no one who does this long term is always motivated. I’m sure as heck am not.

I have times I get more motivated and less though. But in times of no motivation, I don’t try to drum up motivation, I just rely on discipline at that point. Motivation for me comes in waves.

Getting too deep now though, point is I still have the smallest pee pee and am willing to go against anyone who dares challenge me 😂
Weight to age kicks in progressive older is impossible and progress is you didn't lose as much as last week lol. I still really like going to the gym and now just happy for others progress as mine. You may have a challenger there in myself although I won't in case of mandatory photos. Thought my body was I guarantee that would worse lol.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Weight to age kicks in progressive older is impossible and progress is you didn't lose as much as last week lol. I still really like going to the gym and now just happy for others progress as mine. You may have a challenger there in myself although I won't in case of mandatory photos. Thought my body was I guarantee that would worse lol.
I have been staring at this post for 5 minutes and I still have no idea what it means

Reaction score
I have been staring at this post for 5 minutes and I still have no idea what it means
I'm fucked and doing the same thing. All-nighter probably should crask. How do I edit if sorry to bother.

Reaction score
When age kicks in and continous progressive overload is impossible. Progress is you didn't lose as much as last week lol. I still really like going to the gym and now just as happy for others progress as mine. You may have a challenger there in myself although I won't in case of mandatory photos here lol. Thought as bad as my body was It guarantee my micro member would win.

Reaction score
I have been staring at this post for 5 minutes and I still have no
When age kicks in and continous progressive overload is impossible. Progress is you didn't lose as much as last week lol. I still really like going to the gym and now just as happy for others progress as mine. You may have a challenger there in myself although I won't in case of mandatory photos here lol. Thought as bad as my body was It guarantee my micro member would win.

Reaction score
Your posts cut me. I don’t consider it “motivation” or “routine” when I go to the gym. It’s my absolute favorite part of the day. Some days I comment that my real life begins at 5:00 when I walk into the gym.

There’s plenty of days when I don’t feel like going to work. I hate my job. The money motivates me. I love lifting and there’s never a day where I don’t feel like hitting the gym. Like the golfers say, a bad day at the gym is still better than a day in the office.
Me too pal it's on my mind when I wake up and everything is part of the routine getting ready to train. I train around 1pm and as soon as I'm done I'm going over tomorrow's work out. I only train Monday to though.

Reaction score
Omg.

Just NO.

I’m 48. The only times I get injured are when I do something stupid. Age isn’t a factor. You don’t hit a certain year and they say “well you’re fragile now”.
I'm 58 and all notice is is strength and I fight that with enhancements.