For Those of You Concerned About Donating Blood

rexwal

Reaction score
http://news.griffinmedical.com/news/030210-Blood_Donation.html

Blood Donation:
When on Testosterone Replacement Therapy, it will be necessary for you to donate blood on a regular basis. You may donate blood every 56 days. It is our recomendation that you donate blood at least three times per year. While participating in TRT, your hematocrit levels are likely to increase, we monitor your hematocrit levels very closely on all of your follow up lab work. By donating blood you are able to keep your hematocrit levels optimal. If your levels get to high, our physicians will have to discontinue your TRT until you are back to good levels.

Donating blood is good for your heart and entire cardiovascular system. Many physicians and cardiologists are recommending therapeutic blood donation as way to reduce cardiac risk, lower blood viscosity (thickness) and prevent iron overload. Male patients on testosterone replacement therapy tend to make an excess of red blood cells that can lead a higher blood viscosity. A simple blood test such as a CBC, can help determine if your blood is too thick. Blood viscosity, an overlooked element in blood tests, is being seen as a new major marker for identifying patients at risk for atherosclerosis. Dr Judi Goldstone of Griffin Medical Group and cardiologists Stephen Sinatra and James C. Roberts recommend therapeutic blood donation to reduce blood viscosity. Blood can be donated every three months.

Who should give blood? Provided you are not iron deficient or anemic, there are no side effects from giving blood and it helps the blood banks which are always low on blood. To lower blood viscosity, protect against iron overload and rid your cardiovascular system of inflammatory and destructive particles that can cause disease, it makes sense for most people on testosterone replacement therapy and people over age fifty to give blood one to four times a year. Men can start therapeutic donation at age thirty.

Also:
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
Women on hormone replacement therapy for menopaGloball symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis are eligible to donate.

Read this thread:
http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/showthread.php/11436-High-Red-Blood-Cell-Count

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
Be sure to do so.

I hadn’t donated before I was like 22 and my hemocrit was borderline inadmissible. I’d have to pay them to drain me.

Since then I try to go 1-2x a year and see that I keep my blood levels in the neutral range. They’d probably escalate anyways.

They do check blood pressure and once I was nearly turned away, I came about an hour after a workout.

Since you are highly discouraged from donating and then lifting, I went for an early lift and midday donate. Enjoyed a solid dinner and went to bed early. Felt totally fine next day.

Blood plasma is fully replenished within 48 hours of donation. But while running dbol and NPP, it reduced my red face while hot.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is something that I have to do more frequently. I’ve been planning to donate but life keeps getting in the way. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supreme666leader

Reaction score
Be sure to do so.

I hadn’t donated before I was like 22 and my hemocrit was borderline inadmissible. I’d have to pay them to drain me.

Since then I try to go 1-2x a year and see that I keep my blood levels in the neutral range. They’d probably escalate anyways.

They do check blood pressure and once I was nearly turned away, I came about an hour after a workout.

Since you are highly discouraged from donating and then lifting, I went for an early lift and midday donate. Enjoyed a solid dinner and went to bed early. Felt totally fine next day.

Blood plasma is fully replenished within 48 hours of donation. But while running dbol and NPP, it reduced my red face while hot.
i believe when i did mine they just checked iron very quick, pulse and bp that was it.
really wasnt bad, after the stick it was like relaxing at a resort for like 5-7mins. had gatorade zero sugar for the ride there and i filled the pint bag up pretty quick.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
i believe when i did mine they just checked iron very quick, pulse and bp that was it.
really wasnt bad, after the stick it was like relaxing at a resort for like 5-7mins. had gatorade zero sugar for the ride there and i filled the pint bag up pretty quick.
If your hemoglobin is above a certain level 18.something they won't let you donate. You'll have to go have a phlebotomy at the hospital.

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
If your hemoglobin is above a certain level 18.something they won't let you donate. You'll have to go have a phlebotomy at the hospital.
Yeah, I was at 17.9 PRE-CYCLE.
Previous bleeding was surgical like 6 years prior.

So you may have higher levels than you think.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I donate blood every 8 weeks, like clockwork. The only times when I stray are when I am sick, like suffering from COVID and its after effects for 6 months, or when I get close to labs. My doctors always recommended that I donate 2 weeks before lab work, so I stretch the 8 weeks to time that perfectly.

Reaction score
I try to donate blood when I can but like Mind2muscle I don't go nearly enough. Had anyone tried Naringen supplements? Supposedly it lowers hematocrit levels.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
I try to donate blood when I can but like Mind2muscle I don't go nearly enough. Had anyone tried Naringen supplements? Supposedly it lowers hematocrit levels.
Supposedly you read one of my posts on here lol

Reaction score
Supposedly you read one of my posts on here lol
I think I found your post. Have you tried it and did it work in lowering your hematocrit? Thanks. It would be nice not having to give blood all the time.

Spear

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I found your post. Have you tried it and did it work in lowering your hematocrit? Thanks. It would be nice not having to give blood all the time.
How much water do you drink per day? Sometimes just being hydrated can make a pretty big difference.

Spear

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Little fact, there's 650 calories in a pint of blood. If you're cutting, you're set that day, if you're bulking, you can have some extra dessert after dinner. 😁
This is the reason I don't feel bad crushing the snacks after donating.

supreme666leader

Reaction score
This is the reason I don't feel bad crushing the snacks after donating.
Was gonna ask for oreos but felt guilty next time ill make up for it ... Ill be bulking anyway so take as much as possible

Reaction score
I probably drink around 1.5 to two gallons a day. I've been taking creatine and noticed it gives me bad gas if I don't drink a lot of water. Will have to do some experimenting when I get my labs done next

Reaction score
I usually donate every 8 weeks. I skipped my last appointment because my iron level was low (results from bloodwork. Once my iron is up again I'll donate. It keeps my H&H in line and my BP good. Make sure you're hydrated, it will help with the H&H, creatinine, and GFR results.

Mprtz

Reaction score
No side effects? They are ignoring Ferritin depletion. I donated a lot my first few years of TRT, and crashed my Ferritin down to 11 and started having arrhythmia.

New Threads