Has anyone read Outlive by Peter Attia

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting read or listen (on Audible) ...

Discusses things like how exercise may be 300% to 400% more important than diet & nutrient to longevity and expanding quality of life into later decades (60's-70's-80's) ...

That was very surprising to hear ... curious if anyone here read it and what you guys thought ....

He also talked about how protein and strength and lean body mass were indicators of longevity ...

Also V02 max for all of us cardio haters (it is important as well) ... I've never had that tested.

Reaction score
Interesting read or listen (on Audible) ...

Discusses things like how exercise may be 300% to 400% more important than diet & nutrient to longevity and expanding quality of life into later decades (60's-70's-80's) ...

That was very surprising to hear ... curious if anyone here read it and what you guys thought ....

He also talked about how protein and strength and lean body mass were indicators of longevity ...

Also V02 max for all of us cardio haters (it is important as well) ... I've never had that tested.
So being active, eating right, and doing shit physically allows you to live longer than sitting on your ass, eating like an asshole and being weak?

I gotta read this. It sounds groundbreaking.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
When you say exercise is 3 times more important. I imagine that is cardio not weight training.
Some articles I've read about weight training suggests that the pencil necks we all make fun of in the gym lifting light weights and high reps out live true natural body builders. Suggesting all forms of serious body building natural and enhanced shorten your life.
same seems to go with cardio. Moderate cardio seems to prolong life. But professional distance runners/cyclists/swimmers also seem to have shorter lives.
Can this book be down loaded. Sounds interesting.
Although I must agree with bbbg. Moderation in diet and exercise seem to beneficial for long life as a no brainer.
Knowing this still wouldn't change what i did. I'm ego driven. Being 5 foot 8 and 250 pounds makes (made) me feel like a man. Living to 97 would just make me feel old.
Still i will give it a read. Thanks.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When you say exercise is 3 times more important. I imagine that is cardio not weight training.
Some articles I've read about weight training suggests that the pencil necks we all make fun of in the gym lifting light weights and high reps out live true natural body builders. Suggesting all forms of serious body building natural and enhanced shorten your life.
same seems to go with cardio. Moderate cardio seems to prolong life. But professional distance runners/cyclists/swimmers also seem to have shorter lives.
Can this book be down loaded. Sounds interesting.
Although I must agree with bbbg. Moderation in diet and exercise seem to beneficial for long life as a no brainer.
Knowing this still wouldn't change what i did. I'm ego driven. Being 5 foot 8 and 250 pounds makes (made) me feel like a man. Living to 97 would just make me feel old.
Still i will give it a read. Thanks.
I got it on Audible ... he talks about progression of where medicine has been and where it is going ... and how in its current rendition (medicine 3.0) patients are much more responsible for their health outcomes ... the idea of simply eating right and being physically active is the start ... learning what metrics are the needle movers and how to measure and improve them is why I am interested.

How many members here have been VO2 tested or even know where the top 10% would be for the age group ...? I've never been VO2 tested or even knew what it was outside of Tour de France professional cyclists had very high numbers ... as it turns out being in the top 25% for your age group turns out be important in longevity ...

Reaction score
You'll live longer if you wear clothing infused with trace metals. Keeps the noise out so it doesn't age your cells.

Reaction score
I got it on Audible ... he talks about progression of where medicine has been and where it is going ... and how in its current rendition (medicine 3.0) patients are much more responsible for their health outcomes ... the idea of simply eating right and being physically active is the start ... learning what metrics are the needle movers and how to measure and improve them is why I am interested.

How many members here have been VO2 tested or even know where the top 10% would be for the age group ...? I've never been VO2 tested or even knew what it was outside of Tour de France professional cyclists had very high numbers ... as it turns out being in the top 25% for your age group turns out be important in longevity ...
Where do you get your VO2 tested? How much does that cost. You get a baseline, and then you would work to improve it and get it tested again. Then how often should you get it retested?

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think this applies to people like us who push their bodies to the limit through training, diet and anabolic's. We eat waaaaaayy to much for it to be healthy. We train waaaaay too hard for it to benefit our bodies in the future. We are shortening our lifespan with the use of anabolics. But, then again, I dont do what I do to maximize my lifespan.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your VO2 tested? How much does that cost. You get a baseline, and then you would work to improve it and get it tested again. Then how often should you get it retested?
Good questions ... I asked the same ones ... I googled VO2 in my city ... there were 3 locations that provided them .. I was surprised to learn that gyms or high end personal training studios were more likely to offer the service ... The cost in my location is $125 and takes about 90 minutes ...

VO2 max is in increased by a combination Zone 2 (lower / moderate cardio) and Zone 5 (HIIT cardio) ... vast improvements can be made in 12 week training and then yearly testing in recommended ...

The bad news in VO2 testing is not a pleasant process ... as it takes a warming up process then over the 90 minutes all out efforts are made in order to capture the oxygen consumption levels ..

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Resistance training also increases VO2 max.
Dang Bro -- I had no idea you were a crossfitter ...

Seriously though most resistance training does not improve VO2 max ... circuit training or CrossFit yes .. but resistance training for hypertrophy with 3 to 5 minute rest in between heavy sets not so much ... we all have to do actually cardio (HIIT especially) to improve it ...

Reaction score

Seriously though most resistance training does not improve VO2 max ... circuit training or CrossFit yes .. but resistance training for hypertrophy with 3 to 5 minute rest in between heavy sets not so much ... we all have to do actually cardio (HIIT especially) to improve it ...
No. You’re not resistance training properly then. If you’re using light weights and not going to failure then you can pretty much do that all day and not breathe hard. Go to failure with a heavy ass weight and tell me you’re not breathing hard for the better portion of that 3-5 mins. I can’t even carry a conversation after a set of heavy squats. And that’s after I regain my vision.

And CrossFit is fucking stupid.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This conversation (from the book) was not saying resistance and strength are not critical for health and longevity ... they clearly are ... however VO2 is also important and separate ... breathing heavy is not what improves it .... training for it specifically appears to be better ....

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This conversation (from the book) was not saying resistance and strength are not critical for health and longevity ... they clearly are ... however VO2 is also important and separate ... breathing heavy is not what improves it .... training for it specifically appears to be better ....
Does Attia explicitly state that strength training does not increase Vo2 max or that it doesn't increase it enough?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Does Attia explicitly state that strength training does not increase Vo2 max or that it doesn't increase it enough?
No he simply recommends to end the argument between Taste Great / Less Filling (I mean the old argument is it resistance training OR cardio) ... he simply states both directly impact longevity directly and it would be wise to do both ...

TODAY you would like Attia ... he is a medical doctor and discusses these topics from a more scientific perspective ... he follows no particular dogma about any of these topics ... meaning NO vegan BS or low carb nonsense ... he not selling anything ...other than his book and I will admit I've learned more about health in general than any other book I've or listed to recently which is why I posted about it ...

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

^Myth

No. You’re not resistance training properly then. If you’re using light weights and not going to failure then you can pretty much do that all day and not breathe hard. Go to failure with a heavy ass weight and tell me you’re not breathing hard for the better portion of that 3-5 mins. I can’t even carry a conversation after a set of heavy squats. And that’s after I regain my vision.

And CrossFit is fucking stupid.

^Reality

I lumped both of these comments together to demonstrate a "myth vs reality" (respectively) trope common in lifting.

Most people have such shitty metabolic conditioning that compound movements such as squats seem like they are ineffective muscle builders because they reach metabolic and cardiovascular failure long before they reach muscular failure.

Reaction score
No he simply recommends to end the argument between Taste Great / Less Filling (I mean the old argument is it resistance training OR cardio) ... he simply states both directly impact longevity directly and it would be wise to do both ...

TODAY you would like Attia ... he is a medical doctor and discusses these topics from a more scientific perspective ... he follows no particular dogma about any of these topics ... meaning NO vegan BS or low carb nonsense ... he not selling anything ...other than his book and I will admit I've learned more about health in general than any other book I've or listed to recently which is why I posted about it ...
If he's a medical doctor his idea of "resistance training" is entirely different than what resistance training ACTUALLY is.

And breathing hard is a side effect of the same cascade of responses that would improve VO2. Does it improve AS MUCH as HIIT Cardio, no. But its NOT ineffective.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's been a bit since I kept up with Attia, mostly because he was a longtime proponent of the Insulin Model of Obesity, which has been roundly debunked

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If he's a medical doctor his idea of "resistance training" is entirely different than what resistance training ACTUALLY is.

And breathing hard is a side effect of the same cascade of responses that would improve VO2. Does it improve AS MUCH as HIIT Cardio, no. But its NOT ineffective.
Interesting conversation ... it will be interesting to see if some of us get VO2 testing ... that will likely answer these questions ... once a baseline in established ... does continual heavy compound movement increase VO2 over time or will there need to be additional special cardio training required ... I honestly do not know but tend to believe that specific training will be needed ...