Hip shift

Reaction score
I get some hip shift to my right leg when I squat heavy. Any one got any advice on how to correct this? My lower weight sets look good, here is my high bar squats today to show you what I’m doing.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like the same issue guys have with the bench. My guess is you're shifting to your strong side to compensate. Seems to be weaker quads on the left.

It's hard to see but it doesn't look like your feet are in line. Is the left one back a little?

A wider stance tends to even things up and point your toes out a little more. Play with it brother.

Reaction score
Looks like the same issue guys have with the bench. My guess is you're shifting to your strong side to compensate. Seems to be weaker quads on the left.

It's hard to see but it doesn't look like your feet are in line. Is the left one back a little?

A wider stance tends to even things up and point your toes out a little more. Play with it brother.

My left foot does look a little back. Ill put more focus into the set up and I’ll try too put my toes out more. Thanks 👍🏼

I’m thinking maybe I need to do some more unilateral work to try to bring up my weak side.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
My left foot does look a little back. Ill put more focus into the set up and I’ll try too put my toes out more. Thanks 👍🏼

I’m thinking maybe I need to do some more unilateral work to try to bring up my weak side.
Don't get all crazy about having a weak side, everyone has one. This shit always shows up with heavy weight. The compensating is just your body doing what it does best.

I was going to say you could work on a slower up motion but that would require less weight and you don't have a problem there.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hard for me to see completely, but here is a video to help diagnose a hip shift and some Mobility and strength to correct it.

You will see any movement dysfunctions with the overhead squat assessment he puts the girl through. It’s a great diagnostic tool and if you video yourself doing them from the side and from the back they can be very telling.

New Threads