Lower back tightness and discomfort during rows

rayray1205

Lady Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows why my lower back and upper glutes get so tight and sore during and after barbell rows and rack pulls, regardless if it's free weight or on a Smith. I've looked at videos of my form and it looks to be correct. I really enjoy these exercises, but it's just too uncomfortable to do. I don't feel the same pain during squats or deadlifts. Please help!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My lower back hates BB Rows, but when I do the Pendlay Rows variation, the back stress goes away. That extra second of deloading the back between reps works wonders for me.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What you might think is correct form might not be that correct. BSP might be on to something. Sharing those videos would allow for us to help with a more accurate opinion

Reactions: CJ

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Agree is posting any training video to help..

my back and upper glutes love rows, but if I break form or throw a rep I will feel it almost immediately

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
My lower back and hips are very tight, and bother me on rows, deads, squats. Working on flexibility now, getting better.
Sitting for a living has both benefits, and side-effects... The tightness is a direct side effect of sitting all day. (Except my cardio and weight training).
But as I age, I need to work on flexibility now...

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Try bending your knees more or row w your chest against an incline bench!

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How’s your hamstring tightness?

Id bet you’re over extending and arching your lower back thinking you’re maintaining good form. Lots of people do it.

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Agree with cj. Conventional rows suck but pendlay rows never hurt me even with higher weight

New Threads