Potential hernia - what exercises to avoid?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I had one fixed a few years ago. My primary didn’t see a reason for me to have it fixed. 😳. I said I wanted a consult with a surgeon. The surgeon said If I didn’t have it done it would only get worse.

Most people don’t have an issue with the repair. But I’ll tell you the pain I experienced ….. for the first few days wasn’t fun.
Was yours umbilical? If so, then what was your recovery time like? Or put more simply, how long before you could do all movements at full working weight?

Reaction score
Yeah, that's gross. Mine isn't visible, but that's exactly why I want to get it taken care of ASAP if imaging confirms it is a hernia.

I'm hoping it will heal well/strong if I take care of it early. And also hoping no aesthetics are lost since I can see my abs, but can't see this bump through my skin.

Crazy to think that not everyone gets this take care of whenever they have an opportunity.
If it is minor they will not fix it.. if it is a hernia the reason why they won’t fix it if it is minor. They mesh it I belive and the potential of you blowing one out in another place is very plausible..
This happens to a freind of mine
He is getting surgery done again to fix it. He can only train with light weight. I mean light. Like 20 db presses..
Plus there is a 6-8 week recovery time and that is for someone who dosnt train like we do.
Again this is info I got from my buddy.
I would not train at all until you see your dr.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Was yours umbilical? If so, then what was your recovery time like? Or put more simply, how long before you could do all movements at full working weight?
Yes, it was umbilical. They had to use mesh to repair. It was 2-3 days of agony, which from what I gather is not usual.

I was a bit afraid to use a full dose of pain killer because of the side of constipation.

I was doing light weight 2 weeks after. Just have to be careful when engaging abs of course. Use common sense when getting back at it.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Good my ultrasound test results. It's an umbilical hernia like I thought. Something about deep layer fat tissue at risk of wrapping around organs.

They are referring me to general surgery. Currently waiting for a call back to schedule the appointment.

It's minor right now, but I'm debating cutting out all lifting, just to ensure I don't make things worse. Up until now I've cut out all exercises that brace my core, but I'm finding even exercises that force a stretch in the area seem to effect it.

I'll take off from lifting until I know when my appointment date is. Then I'll decide if I will continue to take a break from lifting, or keep going with my modified workout I've been doing so far.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Consultation with the surgeon is scheduled. June 6th was the earliest date I could get.

I'll probably schedule the surgery for the last week of June; assuming I have a choice in the date.

I think I will continue with my modified programming until then. I'll just be going through the motions to maintain the little bit that I got. Not going to push hard, and risk making things worse.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In additional to the obvious ones you already mentioned all overhead and free standing movements should be avoided. Even things like dumbbell raises, standing curls, etc. can aggravate a hernia. Avoid anything that requires the core to be engaged and braced. I would stick with strictly isolation movements on machines until you get it sorted out.

This pretty much sums it up. Hoping it gets better . Definitely consult with your pcp but also a GI surgeon. I had an inguinal hernia back in the early 2000’s. Man did that thing hurt. Had the mesh put in. Still holding up strong. Good luck dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSgator

Reaction score
My boss came over last week and he is finally getting his taken care off. It ended up being 4 different ones next to one another like I said he has put this off 2 years now and I forgot to take pictures.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
My boss came over last week and he is finally getting his taken care off. It ended up being 4 different ones next to one another like I said he has put this off 2 years now and I forgot to take pictures.
Holy shit, 4 hernias next to each other? How the hell does someone let that go for so long before doing something about it? (Rhetorical question).

GSgator

Reaction score
Holy shit, 4 hernias next to each other? How the hell does someone let that go for so long before doing something about it? (Rhetorical question).
Seriously some of these guys in the trades are fucking savages man and they will ride there body’s till the wheels fall off. I’ve worked with guys with a lot of issues that have that mindset they can’t miss a day of work so they refuse to get surgery’s to even get the minor things fixed.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
now hopefully you will try that shark fin soup.

New Threads