Mind over matter

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
On a 1 - 10 rating system (10 being highest) rate how important you feel your mind is to body building / power lifting?

I have noticed lately that I am having to remind myself not to be going through the motions. By that I mean its not enough to simply show up at the gym and moving the weights. I want to be and will be 100% engaged and in the moment on every rep of every set of every exercise.

For me as I am getting ready to start my cycle I am going to moving up my intensity as well as my mind / muscle connection.

I would rate myself a 7 currently and want to move it up to a 9+. How would you rate yourself?

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A 10,get on some anadrol that should boost you up to a 10.I love anadrol.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i'd say a solid 9. I tend to focus and concentrate on whatever muscle group i am working. doing this allows me to keep proper form with heavy weights

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have learned to cycle intensity in response to how I look but most of all feel.

If I start to feel achy or lax in motivation I'll go lesser intensity, shorter sessions and less weight until I feel caught up.

100% all the time is either delusional or a train wreck.

GuerillaKilla

Peanut Butter ****Sock
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PFM is a licensed doctor in Ethiopia. I'd listen to his advice.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
that would be a 10 for me :)

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Checking in with a solid 10

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn...I did not realize that my SI brothers were all professional athletes with no room for improvement....lol

This is motivating me to get off of the couch stop eating potato chips and motivates me to get more serious in the gym tomorrow FFS (for fuck's sake).

(For the record I don't eat potato chips but I do sit on the couch a bit too much)!

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think just showing up is better than nothing, it's more than what many people do. Not too long ago I was having issues with just going through the motions but, it may just be a mental thing, and I'm not always engaged or giving it my all but, I'm gaining really well lately just on TRT more than I have on any of my first two blasts. I'm starting to see results, and some days if I feel like I'm not all there I don't really sweat it like I used to because whatever I'm doing is finally working and it gives me motivation that just showing up is ok. I think honestly it really is as long as you're doing your reps I mean you should still see results even if you're not 100% mentally there and if you're not for whatever reason, no reason to force yourself, could be an easy way to get injured. I work out with a trainer though and whether I'm there mentally or not I still have to do the exercises, I still have to do the reps/sets. If you're working on your own and not mentally there and if you start taking it easy as far as reps/sets cutting them short, then that's another issue. For me having a trainer makes me accountable, have to be at the gym each session, have to do each and every exercise they say, every rep, set etc. If it was all up to me then yeah I feel like I wouldn't have the discipline to do what I'm supposed to do and unless there's somebody there telling me to do it (probably sounds weak but, I know myself and it is what it is), I would end up cutting workouts short, not showing up all the time etc. .

I'm pretty chill in the gym, especially compared to most others that I can see from there face they are giving it their all, or they are grunting and sweating. I feel like I'm taking it easy most of the time, I never grunt or make any noise but, by the end I do get very tired and somedays want to throw up but, I guess just rep after rep and set after set it starts to add up slowly but surely. As long as I'm seeing results, I don't care about anything else.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
10 over here! I am a machine right now when it comes to dieting and training. I refuse to fuck up a meal or workout. I just tell myself this consistent effort WILL put me where I want to be. Fuck...it better.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
10 for me. I call it engaging. Example... two weeks ago I couldn't engage. 405 felt heavy tome on deadlift. Didn't even go up from there. Last week I was able to engage, I knew the weight was going up. Got 495 for a double. Same this week. Got 495 for a triple. Now there could b other factors to why I could not engage that day, diet might have been off, may not have drank enough water. But when my mind is right I am def stronger

Reaction score
Ah... The mind is your most powerful tool. It can make you or it can break you. Even on a bad day(which we all have) let your mind do the work not necessarily the body. Firm believer in where the mind goes the body will follow. The mind in my opinion can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It's all on what you make of it. To me the mind sets apart a mediocre athlete to a great athlete.

Reaction score
For the record it would be a 10 for me as well. Also sometimes when your feeling this way it's really not your mind at all it could be the physical aspect of things, maybe you need more rest to recover or need more rest from added stress lack of sleep Ect. I don't know what your training regimen is like but I get like this when I do high volume for excess lengths or lift heavy for excessive lengths and have to switch things up a bit.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am trying something new. I am making a mind - muscle connection and feeling every rep of every exercise. I don't know if I'd say I've achieved a 10....I just know that its much more intense.