Paleo diet?

Chump16

Reaction score
What are y'alls thoughts on eating Paleo?

I know its big with the crossfit crowd

My wife and I did a paleo re-set diet during the month of January .... which basically meant we eliminated all sugar, dairy, bread. Our eating was very clean and healthy, nothing processed.

For me, I felt like I was always hungry and craving carbs. I did lose wt, probably about 6-8 lbs overall. The upside for me was that my doctor cut down on my blood pressure meds. I've been on blood pressure meds most of my adult life. But after a month of the paleo re-set my BP was running 105/65 ish and i was having dizzy spells. So, Dr cut the BP meds back.

I'm eating probably about 80% paleo now ........ i'll have a piece of bread, a little milk/cheese here and there ......... but BP has stays very normal and eating very healthy overall

Just interested in other people's thoughts

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Paleo is good in that it encourages you to eat whole unprocessed foods.

When it gets bastardized, and people start making Paleo cookies and brownies and other treats, is when it goes off the rails. That coconut or almond flour, even though it's "paleo" is still very high calorie. And it's processed, which they seem to be ok with for some reason.

Still always comes back to calories in vs calories out.

Chump16

Reaction score
I agree CJ

its the processed foods that get ya

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of any of these diets
Only proven diet is a well-rounded one,tht consist of good healthy foods, of protein,cards & fats,
But depending on what your goals are or what you compete in?
Those things can be adjusted for your situation! But don't believe in ever cutting out carbs, protein or fats out if any diet!

Chump16

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify ....... while doing the reset, I felt like i was craving carbs ..... craving simple carbs

paleo doesn't cut protein, fats or carbs ....... it cuts processed foods (ex, sugars), so my body had to adjust ...... stlll opportunities to get lots of proteins, fats, carbs

Reactions: CJ

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I got nothing wrong with what you suggested except I wouldn't cut out dairy. Dairy contains many key nutrients that we benefit from. I mean calcium is necessary for muscle contraction for starters.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
When it gets bastardized, and people start making Paleo cookies and brownies and other treats, is when it goes off the rails.
CJ has me laughing this morning; this is so true about the vegan diet too. I eat mostly vegan plus fish--and recently, eggs--but some of the vegan recipe pages on IG are batshit crazy, especially when they try to make food taste like meat.
I digress.
About paleo: I do not think it's a good idea to ever cut legumes out of your diet, as paleo does. And peanuts? What's wrong with peanuts?
Also I think if you're white, you're probably able to handle dairy better than people of African or Asian descent, even though that's not talked about often.
i kind of used the vegan diet for a few months for a similar purpose as your paleo in that I cut out all the bullshit and felt great for it, but I found the food boring and not tasty.
So now I'm doing mostly vegan plus fish, and recently eggs, and red meat once or twice a week.
I think your paleo could be a strong base to shoot for perhaps every few months. You know, maybe do strict paleo for a week, then taper off, and repeat every few months.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I got nothing wrong with what you suggested except I wouldn't cut out dairy. Dairy contains many key nutrients that we benefit from. I mean calcium is necessary for muscle contraction for starters.
I mentioned dairy tolerance based on race/ethnicity in my last post. I eat many leafy greens to get my calcium. Not sure dairy is really necessary according to more recent research.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I mentioned dairy tolerance based on race/ethnicity in my last post. I eat many leafy greens to get my calcium. Not sure dairy is really necessary according to more recent research.

Dude, the amount of leafy green that have to be consumed to equal the calcium in 8oz of milk is ridiculous. I can't do the cow grazing thing. I am not eating 2 pounds of spinach to get the same calcium as one cup of milk lol

I am a big advocate of drinking milk. There isn't a single food or drink that is its equal in vitamin and nutrients. Now with Fairlife on the market, it simply unbeatable.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Um, it's only a half cup of spinach to equal one cup of milk.
Drinking milk is for babies.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Um, it's only a half cup of spinach to equal one cup of milk.
Drinking milk is for babies.
There is about 250mg of calcium in a cup of cooked spinach. Whole milk is about 300mg for 8oz. Fairlife milk that I drink has 400mg per 8oz serving. If you cook the spinach, you come closer to one cup of regular milk but only because it becomes closer to 10 cups of raw which I am sure you know is expensive compared to the cost of milk. Even then, you miss out on the protein, fat and carbs that milk has. 1 cup of spinach is 5 calories. 1g of protein and 1 carb lol

I will agree that you can eat enough plants to get your calcium but milk is still exponentially better nutrition than a plant alone.

oh, and at 270lbs, I am far from a baby but that is cute.

Eat what you want to reach your nutrition goals. I choose the best and simplest way for me. Id say judging by the way I look, its working.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Isn't the calcium in milk just ADDED calcium anyway? If you take supplemental calcium, isn't it basically the same thing?

*nothing against dairy, I love it. Especially the frozen kind. :32 (16):

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Isn't the calcium in milk just ADDED calcium anyway? If you take supplemental calcium, isn't it basically the same thing?

*nothing against dairy, I love it. Especially the frozen kind. :32 (16):

First that I have heard of that. Calcium is calcium is would say.

I can get a gallon of regular milk for $1.25. 1 gallon of milk has 128 grams of protein. On a bad day when I can't eat enough, I can drink 128 grams of protein for just over a dollar.

The calcium is an added bonus honestly lol

And yes, I LOVE ice cream

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
Your thoughts, is paleo diet helpful in keeping a healthy eating? Im a bit interested to start one. Thanks in advance.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
My take on Paelo is jst consuming non-processed food and nothing refined. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You shouldn't be eating anything from a box. It should be in it's natural state ie. sweet potato. Cook it ad eat it. Chicken, fish, steak, eggs cook them and eat them.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
Got that! So how about bread and other pasty products, cheese, and the like? Any substitution for these since these are processed foods.