PPL Routine Help

Reaction score
It's time for me to change up my routine and I’m looking for some advice on a PPLPPL routine that will maintain strength while aiding with muscle growth. I’m currently 5’8 and 206 at around 18% bodyfat. If I were to pick one lagging muscle group I’d say it’s my chest. I am unable to do barbell squats or deadlifts to having a fused C-4,C-5, and C-6.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

Push 1Pull 1Legs
Barbell Bench Press4x6(AMRAP)T bar Row4x6(AMRAP)Leg Press4x10 (AMRAP)
Barbell Incline Press4x6(AMRAP)Seated Row4x6(AMRAP)Hack Squat4x10 (AMRAP)
Cable Cross Overs4x6(AMRAP)Lat Pull Down4x6(AMRAP)Leg Extension4x10 (AMRAP)
Seated DB Press4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Shrugs4x6(AMRAP)Leg Curl4x10 (AMRAP)
Skull Crushers4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Curl4x6(AMRAP)Calf Raises3x15(AMRAP)
Rope Press Down3x8(AMRAP)Rope Curls3x8(AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Push 2Pull 2Legs/Abs/Misc
DB Bench Press4x12 (AMRAP)Pull Ups4x12 (AMRAP)Goblet Squats3x8
DB Incline Press4x12 (AMRAP)Single Arm Lat Pull Down4x12 (AMRAP)Farmers Carry4x
Machine Flyes4x12 (AMRAP)DB Row4x12 (AMRAP)Back Extensions3x10
Standing OH Press4x12 (AMRAP)Seated Wide Row4x12 (AMRAP)Dips3x8
Lateral Raises4x12 (AMRAP)DB Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Sit-Ups4x
V Bar Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Cable Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Reverse Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Preacher Curls4x12 (AMRAP)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'd suggest cutting those 4 set exercises down to 3 sets, and do them harder, more quality.

I'd also add in more rest days. You're simply not training hard 6 days in a row, especially when 4 of them are Legs and Back. I know that you THINK that you're training hard, but I assure you, you're not.

QUALITY over quantity. 32+ sets of Back per week? Get outta here with that silliness. I have other suggestions, too, but those are the big issues.

Reaction score
PPL is just the same (just about) as bro-split (as they call it).

Push - Chest / Tri's
Pull - Back / Bi's
Legs - Legs / Delts (delts being the only difference)

Modern days tards "PPL destroys the Bro-Split"... Yeah, OK... :rolleyes:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
PPL is just the same (just about) as bro-split (as they call it).

Push - Chest / Tri's
Pull - Back / Bi's
Legs - Legs / Delts (delts being the only difference)

Modern days tards "PPL destroys the Bro-Split"... Yeah, OK... :rolleyes:

Main difference between a PPL and Bro Split is the frequency it allows you to hit each muscle.

But yes, you can program a Bro Split to make it fairly similar to a PPL.

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I struggle with the whole "what is enough volume and frequency" question. I prefer the bro split for its simplicity and the ability to target one muscle group and really push that mind muscle connection but have read so mush shit on the internet I almost feel mandated to move to some kind of PPL split to hit everything twice per week.
I have also been looking at routines like PHUL and PHAT.
I also get wrapped around the axel on multiple exercise variations for the same muscle group. I'm going to scrap that routine and go back to the old mantra of KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid.
Maybe a traditional 5 day bro split with a 6th day to focus on some additional accessory movements for any lagging areas.

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
Are you actually doing as many reps as possible? on push 2 everything was till failure at 12 reps? everything on pull 2 was 12 reps. or I could be reading it wrong.

Reaction score
Are you actually doing as many reps as possible? on push 2 everything was till failure at 12 reps? everything on pull 2 was 12 reps. or I could be reading it wrong.
12 is the rep I aim for. Once 4 sets of 12 can be reached the weight is increased. lets say I'm doing bench, after warm-up I load the bar with 205 and begin my working sets. I'll go for as many reps as possible each set, for this example lets say I get 15,13,12,9. I would keep the weight the same for the next time it was time to do bench and keep it the same until I was able to get a minimum of 12 reps for each set.

If I was able to do something like 20 reps in one of those sets I'd know something was wrong in my programming and the working weight is too light to begin with. I've run programs like this in the past and realistically I can ever really get more than +2 on any given set when the working weight is dialed in.

Reaction score
I think I am going to have something that hits my main compound exercise 2x week for each muscle group but other than that has a focused day for each muscle group.
It would kind of go like this:

Monday: T-Bar row followed by leg routine
Tuesday: OH press followed by chest routine
Wednesday: Arms
Thursday: Leg press followed by back routine
Friday: Bench press followed by shoulder routine

Abs sprinkled in through the week along with 3-5 mile runs 3x week. Non running days would be some form of low impact cardio like walking 30 minutes at 10% incline.

Trenbolonely

Reaction score
Why so much volume?
I like volume too but it seems excessive if you’re running PPL twice a week.

Exercise selection seems to lack balance: severely lacking rear delt, and hamstrings,. Push seems too Tricep heavy without enough attention to shoulders in my opinion.

16sets quads
4 sets hamstrings
3 calves
In 2 distinct days
Is probably the biggest oversight here if you want good leg development
Why is leg day 2 filler bs and not hamstrings focus?

Reaction score
Why so much volume?
I like volume too but it seems excessive if you’re running PPL twice a week.

Exercise selection seems to lack balance: severely lacking rear delt, and hamstrings,. Push seems too Tricep heavy without enough attention to shoulders in my opinion.

16sets quads
4 sets hamstrings
3 calves
In 2 distinct days
Is probably the biggest oversight here if you want good leg development
Why is leg day 2 filler bs and not hamstrings focus?

I ended up shelving that workout. It was too much volume and like you said not balanced at all. Moving to more of a traditional bro split.
I've redone my leg day so it is more well rounded, removed the hack squats and added in some
single leg Romanian deadlifts and hip thrusts.

Trenbolonely

Reaction score
I ended up shelving that workout. It was too much volume and like you said not balanced at all. Moving to more of a traditional bro split.
I've redone my leg day so it is more well rounded, removed the hack squats and added in some
single leg Romanian deadlifts and hip thrusts.

Reasonable choice. I think you could definitely fix the program with a couple of tweaks but bro splits are pretty solid.

New Threads