Send0 Reloaded - a recovery log

Reaction score
Did you look at the references cited by that TNation article. It doesn’t say explosive exercises are any better. Exercise in general is better.

That being said, plyometrics and Olympic lifting is fun to do. Just don’t hurt yourself as you learn new movements.

We're talking about insulin sensitivity. Clearly stated in part 1 of the article I provided:

A study published in Diabetes and Metabolism Journal found that explosive forms of training expand the storage capacity for blood sugar in your muscles and improve insulin sensitivity (1). This happens because your muscles post-training are depleted of glycogen (the primary fuel used for high-velocity muscular contractions) and are ready to eat up some more.

Did you overlook this part of the article? It has a "(a)" meaning that this is from the first source in the references below.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
We're talking about insulin sensitivity. Clearly stated in part 1 of the article I provided:

A study published in Diabetes and Metabolism Journal found that explosive forms of training expand the storage capacity for blood sugar in your muscles and improve insulin sensitivity (1). This happens because your muscles post-training are depleted of glycogen (the primary fuel used for high-velocity muscular contractions) and are ready to eat up some more.

Did you overlook this part of the article? It has a "(a)" meaning that this is from the first source in the references below.
To be fair, any training will help control diabetes. It depletes circulating blood sugar, and at some point you will begin to pull from glycogen stores. Doesn't matter if it's training from cardio or resistance training.

I have not read the article or it's sources, but I think what it's really saying is to train really damn hard. Whether you call that explosive, heavy, intense, whatever... it creates the same result.

If you want to do plyometrics, "explosive"... train with high intensity, or do oly lifts... then do it with max effort.

Even if a person didn't use max effort, but instead trained for a long enough duration then they'd eventually get to the same place (from a blood sugar/glycogen perspective)

Reaction score

Hey pal?

I read it. Did you? Look at the title of the referenced study. Does it say “explosive” or “Regular Exercise”. ANY exercising when done for an adequate amount of time will deplete glycogen.

F59955D5-3548-4128-B34D-F7524693ACC5.jpeg

Reaction score
To be fair, any training will help control diabetes. It depletes circulating blood sugar, and if training is hard enough (either cardio or resistance training) then you will begin to pull from glycogen stores.

I have not read the article or it's sources, but I think what it's really saying is to train really damn hard. Whether you call that explosive, heavy, intense, whatever... it creates the same result.

If you want to do plyometrics, "explosive"... train with high intensity, or do oly lifts... then do it with max effort.

Even if a person didn't use max effort, but instead trained for a long enough duration then they'd eventually get to the same place (from a blood sugar/glycogen perspective)

Hym, I don't know. I'm going to incorporate some explosive movements again. It's been years. I train very intensely in the gym, more than most people around me who aren't sweating as much and are usually chit chatting and are on their smartphones. But most of what I've been doing in the gym for the past year or so has been to focus on hypertrophy, not power and my glucose readings are not that great (at least in the morning).

Maybe it's a coincidence that my glucose is gradually getting higher along with my A1C. After all I am now in my fifties. I'm no spring chicken any longer. But if I note improvements after incorporating some explosive training then I write it off as working for me anecdotally.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hym, I don't know. I'm going to incorporate some explosive movements again. It's been years. I train very intensely in the gym, more than most people around me who aren't sweating as much and are usually chit chatting and are on their smartphones. But most of what I've been doing in the gym for the past year or so has been to focus on hypertrophy, not power and my glucose readings are not that great (at least in the morning).

Maybe it's a coincidence that my glucose is gradually getting higher along with my A1C. After all I am now in my fifties. I'm no spring chicken any longer. But if I note improvements after incorporating some explosive training then I write it off as working for me anecdotally.
Have you measured these improvements with a blood glucose monitor?

Reaction score
Hey pal?

I read it. Did you? Look at the title of the referenced study. Does it say “explosive” or “Regular Exercise”. ANY exercising when done for an adequate amount of time will deplete glycogen.

View attachment 29803

That's the title of the source. You're inferring that just because it has the word "regular" in the title that it can't possibly cite a published study about explosive training in a well respected medical journal which is what the author of the T-Nation article did.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score

Just in case it came off as an argument; no one is saying you won't benefit. All forms of exercise are beneficial. I think the main thing being questioned is if explosive training is more beneficial over other forms of exercise; because the reference cited by the article says "regular exercise". Tnation is known to post inaccurate information, or information that's not actually applicable.

Anyway, neither here nor there. Like you said, try it and track your progress using a blood glucose monitor to see if it makes a difference for you specifically. Ultimately that's what matters anyway.

Reaction score
Have you measured these improvements with a blood glucose monitor?
Improvements? I said my glucose readings and A1C are getting higher. That's a bad thing.

And I have two glucose reading kits at home. I use both in the hopes that I can get a more accurate reading on my glucose levels.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Improvements? I said my glucose readings and A1C are getting higher. That's a bad thing.

And I have two glucose reading kits at home. I use both in the hopes that I can get a more accurate reading on my glucose levels.
Ah, missed the "if". Apologies.

Reaction score
That's the title of the source. You're inferring that just because it has the word "regular" in the title that it can't possibly cite a published study about explosive training in a well respected medical journal which is what the author of the T-Nation article did.
What journal? It's a stand alone study. Here I can give you the link. Find "Explosive".

The author in T-nation made a reach to "explosive" and it's fine, because it's an exercise. But it's no different than any exercise. I'm not arguing with you. I'm correcting the T-nation "source". Other people read these posts without commenting. There's no reason for everyone to be jumping around if it's not the appropriate exercise for them.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score

Consistent tracking is good enough IMO. It's the trend that matters more than anything.

I have a Bayer contour; which is one of the most accurate on the market. I also have a cheaper glucose monitor, that is always about 10 points higher than the Bayer, but is very consistent.

The cost of the Bayer testing strips is kind of pricey. I can get a pack of 150 test strips cheaper than a 50 pack of the Bayer.

Do what you think is best for you, but if saving some cash matters.... then as long as your meter is consistent then that's good enough. Simply tracking the trend is what matters.

Reaction score
What journal? It's a stand alone study. Here I can give you the link. Find "Explosive".

The author in T-nation made a reach to "explosive" and it's fine, because it's an exercise. But it's no different than any exercise. I'm not arguing with you. I'm correcting the T-nation "source". Other people read these posts without commenting. There's no reason for everyone to be jumping around if it's not the appropriate exercise for them.

The Diabetes and Metabolism Journal which is stated on the top of the page you just provided.

I'll reach out to the author of T-Nation to ask what's going on. I'll suggest that he remove or alter his article if he can't provide an explanation. I can't do that now. It'll have to be later. I have to scoot to work.

Reaction score
The Diabetes and Metabolism Journal which is stated on the top of the page you just provided.

I'll reach out to the author of T-Nation to ask what's going on. I'll suggest that he remove or alter his article if he can't provide an explanation. I can't do that now. It'll have to be later. I have to scoot to work.
Lol, you don't need to contact T-nation. He's ok for using "explosive exercises" because those types of exercises meet the criteria that showed good results in the study. I'm just clearing up, and I believe so is @Send0, that the exercises aren't limited to those explosive exercises only. High intensity Interval training would also be good, whether on a bike, sprints, stairs, etc. are also examples. All exercises would work it would just obviously take longer because the intensity is much lower.

I wasn't arguing with you. I was clearing it up.

Reaction score
Lol, you don't need to contact T-nation. He's ok for using "explosive exercises" because those types of exercises meet the criteria that showed good results in the study. I'm just clearing up, and I believe so is @Send0, that the exercises aren't limited to those explosive exercises only. High intensity Interval training would also be good, whether on a bike, sprints, stairs, etc. are also examples. All exercises would work it would just obviously take longer because the intensity is much lower.

I wasn't arguing with you. I was clearing it up.

I didn't contact the website. I contacted the author of the article. He used the word "explosive" in his article and I asked him to show me where that was said (or anything similar) in the source that he cited.

He responded but then sent me a completely different article from pubmed. In other words, it appears that the source cited in his T-Nation article was "overreaching." Be that as it may, here is a reputable source being more specific about plyometric exercises having favorable results on blood glucose levels.

Also, I never said nor implied limitations on what can be done to improve insulin sensitivity in terms of training "only." I was citing a source that clearly delineated a type of training that improved insulin sensitivity. I inferred it was optimal given that there are many approaches to resistance training. All exercises might work, as you claim. But compound movements involving multiple muscle groups to be worked at once are more effective for obvious reasons. They use more energy than someone using isolation machines to work just one muscle. Not to mention, I want to make the best use of my time in the gym.