Sleeves and braces. Good or bad?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Why’d you tighten the belt so much? The belt doesn’t offer ANY support, it simply gives you something to press your core muscles into in order to maintain tightness in the thoracic. Of course if you wrench it too tight there’s nowhere for those muscles to press. Adding a lifting belt adds 25-50 lbs to a squat. Those core muscles are typically a lot smaller and a lot weaker than your quads and glutes and would be the limiting factor for leg growth.
He lost me on his last post. I'm out lol!

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think about wearing braces and sleeves can weaken the tissue in joints (tendons and cartilage). This one kinda gets me where that if you're injured and that wearing them will lengthen the time to heal because it is preventing them from getting stronger. I was just seeing what you guys opinions are on that. Thanks
Isn't a knee brace to provide structural stability to compromised joint whereas a sleeve would be more for haptic feedback like a lifting belt.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think about wearing braces and sleeves can weaken the tissue in joints (tendons and cartilage). This one kinda gets me where that if you're injured and that wearing them will lengthen the time to heal because it is preventing them from getting stronger. I was just seeing what you guys opinions are on that. Thanks
Been using 5mm elbow sleeves and 7mm knee sleeves for decades. Don't regret it at all.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I used wraps and belts etc. for years. but quit. i found they may help with getting bigger lifts but doubt they really support the way people thing. Those are tools to allow heavier weights. pretty much everyone i know that uses those still end up with painful knees and backs. Wraps over the knees cap do not allow the cap to float where it needs to and forces it back which puts more wear and tear on the back of the knee cap. After over 10 years of using a powerlifting belt i quit and soon had my numbers back up to wear they were. With less back pain, once the core muscle strengthened and grew. . As putting a tourniquet around the waist doesn't allow the core muscle to function as they were meant to. I noticed zero benefit from sleeves. Wraps are like putting a spring around your knee which allows more weight to be lifted. Much like a bench shirt does a lot of the lifting allowing bigger weights. My goal was bigger muscles, so having equipment that did more work did not equate to my muscles doing more work. We all decide what we want to do and adapt as time goes by.
Wut?

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I always found a belt helpful. It gives your core muscles (abs and obliques) a surface to put pressure against/properly brace , particularly when squatting.
Personally I like a 3" wide in the front and 4' wide in the back belt for use on squats and deads.

Bob's belts put out some great belts for ages, but regrettably his health has caused him to close up his shop

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I always found a belt helpful. It gives your core muscles (abs and obliques) a surface to put pressure against/properly brace him up when squatting.
Personally be I like a 3" wide in the front and 4' wide in the back for use on squats and deads.
I had an Inzer buckle belt for years until SBD came out, best damn belts I have ever owned was them SBD belts.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I had an Inzer buckle belt for years until SBD came out, best damn belts I have ever owned was them SBD belts.
I've still got some life left in my Bobs belt, but will be lost when/if I ever have to replace it.

I'm used to the heavy duty buckle with double prongs.. I see lever belts used a lot now, but am not sure I would like the lever style?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I've still got some life left in my Bobs belt, but will be lost when/if I ever have to replace it.

I'm used to the heavy duty buckle with double prongs.. I see lever belts used a lot now, but am not sure I would like the lever style?
Once you go lever you'll never go back, but it better be quality like Inzer and SBD.

buck

Reaction score
I had an Inzer for years but switched to a lever as soon as they came out and liked it more. It was much faster and easier to get it tightened. But i haven't used it in a long time. Heavy these days would only be 4 plates. Usually only get up to 350 ish for 12-18 reps depending on how recovered i am.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
How about best of both worlds? Warm up, feeder sets and rep out without sleeves, save the sleeves for the heavy sets.

Reaction score
I’ve use elbow compression sleeves many many time..

They don’t weekend shit.
If you get the right ones they will add pounds to your lifts and help get you passed sticking points

Can’t hack squat on a machine without using knee sleeves or wraps
My knees feel much better and I can make it thru my workouts..

I wear a belt and it helps keep my core tight.
I’ve used a belt even benching

Reaction score
As I was looking into purchasing either sleeves or wraps/making a decision ya'lls discussion was helpful. While I havent personally used them it seems to me at the root of it your are still using the muscles to move the weight and any added support around joints and tendons while even maybe marginal from a weightlifting perspective I believe would be valuable.

You consider how many reps you do over the course of a lifetime and a singular unsupported or bad rep could be the difference in never lifting the same again. So long as there is no competitive limitation there would be no real reason to not opt for potential added protection against injury.

New Threads