Tell me the worst, and best, training advice you've ever received.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
How did you do that to yourself?

Training for a powerlifting meet, and not being smart. Continuously did overloads until I hit the wall. It took months to recover mentally from it.

Reaction score
One of the best training tips I've heard is to be patient, and let your genetics do their job.

The worst training tip would probably be when someone told me to eat two oranges every day because they were "so nutritious".

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
best: if there is something you can't do, you must learn to do it.
worst: if it hurts, don't do it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
best: if there is something you can't do, you must learn to do it.
worst: if it hurts, don't do it.
Is there more context to that last part? I'm assuming you don't mean to keep pushing through an injury, possibly making it much worse. Or even to do an exercise that you're not built for, since there's no magical must-do exercises.

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Is there more context to that last part? I'm assuming you don't mean to keep pushing through an injury, possibly making it much worse. Or even to do an exercise that you're not built for, since there's no magical must-do exercises.
In my late 30's when I returned to the gym from my college days I was told not to squat any lower than where the pain started, basically 1/4 squats. The doc said my knee looked like broken glass on the mri, and I would be getting it replaced in under 5 years; less if I continued to squat.

About 100 youtube videos later I convinced myself the answer was heavy a2g squats every workout. I did that, and my knees hurt, but I got stronger. Now at 58 I still do that, and my knees don't hurt much more than they did at 30. The video that pushed me over the edge was, I think, Kelley Starrett saying the first part.

My torn shoulder is a different story, of course. I work around the pain, not through it.

New Threads