The "myth" of being lean and lifting heavy...

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
During fall/winter I put my fat coat on and bulk. I've tried to "clean bulk" and I lost interest quick because my strength wasn't climbing like it does when I dirty bulk. I don't compete but during fall/winter I train like a power lifter to put on as much mass as I can. During spring/summer I cut cals and eat clean and train like a body builder. It works for me. Call it sloppy, call it whatever, but it works for me. I usually get to about 16% bf during winter and then like last summer I got down to 8.6%. I'm stronger when I'm big. I put on more mass when I'm big. That's my goals. Honestly I say if you're over 20% bf and in the gym, hey at least you're in the gym. If you're happy with yourself at that weight then that's all that matters. If you're not happy with yourself and you continue staying the way you are, then that's when you have problems. Those are the only people I look down upon or get frustrated with. The ones that are miserable or bitch about thier problems or have low self esteem and do absolutely nothing about it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ok i will enter the next benchpress contest their is....just because i am not competing does not lesson the importance i put on my training nor does it make those that compete better than those of us that haven't. my goals are just as important to me as yours are to you and just as worthy of respect.

Absolutely they are and I don't mean to put you down. My only point was don't call yourself a bodybuilder or a powerlifter until you compete... But fuck yeah bro, go hit a bench press comp. You'd love it!!!!

ripped_one

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
From my experience its not the bodyfat percentage as much as cns / neuro-muscular recovery, glycogen levels, and hydration.

Yes, when you are eating a ton and not doing cardio its easy to keep your muscles full of glycogen and water, stay recovered, and "on form", but the by-product of doing that is adding fat. I think that is why people think being fat builds strength... Fat is actually secondary.

In my opinion, most athletes should be able to stay 10-12% and still easily keep their strength, but its different for everyone. For me to get into single digits I have to really push my body to let go of the fat, and part of it involves running low on carbs and calories and doing cardio. My strength drops quick while getting lean, but once I'm there and can starting eating normally, my strength comes back, but I slowly creep back to my 9-10% set point.

That set point is different for everyone, some are 7% some are 14%, but 20%? Come on...

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Let's distinguish unnecessary BF and water weight, as they are apples and oranges, they are as relative as muscle and fat. Even on a moderate to heavy dose or Tren & Mast I am not as single rep powerful as I am running Test over Nandrolone. Hence it's the water that provides the increased strength.

So it's a NO to body fat, but in my experience I am stronger (especially single rep) the bigger/heavier I am.

Santaklaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the bigger you are(by this I am referring to the more you weigh) the more calories you will need to consume after your workouts. Unless you have a very strict diet or just eat very very healthy generally more calories equals more lbs which equals higher BF %. Speaking for myself, when I consume more calories the day before a workout.. my workouts tend to be better and I tend to lift heavier.. So I'm along the theory that the more you weigh the heavier you can lift.

Not to mention... Have you ever seen a skinny incredibly lean Powerlifter???

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Colt hits the nail right on the head in my opinion. There has been a thought process pounded in people's heads that in order to bulk you need to ad fat and then cut later when I think in actuality it's more so of when you bulk you ad some extra BF but it boils down to people just being lazy and using "I'm bulking" as an excuse to carrying around a gut.

No sure there is a theory of adding weight to make you strong so in turn you push more weight wich helps build bigger muscles but the reality of it is that you can add leaner muscle without having to be sloppy and fat.

I agree with Cash in a sense that some of it is small mans syndrome but I think the majority of it is just and excuse to be lazy and ear like shit and then fall back on the "oh I'm bulking" excuse as a way to try and justify it to themselves.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That guy sounds like he's making excuses as to why he isn't ripped. I'm 5' 10", 215 lbs, and about 10% BF. I bench 405, squat 405 for sets of 10, and deadlift 600, so I feel I'm proof that you don't have to have a higher BF% to lift heavy. I seriously think it's just makes him feel better and he's told himself for so long that he actually believes it to be true.

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
I still think having some extra weight on me helps me lift heavier, I also believe its good for your joints. Just from experience

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
No it doesn't make much sense does it. Fat should not give you more power. But it does. I don't know the answer as to why. I'm sure a quick google would tell me. But it's always ben such fact (for me) I've never looked. But every time I have been lean I am worthless in the gym.

It is a lot of work to do this to your body over and over. I have done it a hundred times. And in the end I'm the same old weight of around 210. But it is done succefully by many - aka all the pro body builders do this each season. As you age each time you have to lean down it gets a bit harder. The shit around your mid section doesn't like to let go. I'm done playing with fire. Now I basically attempt to take a base weight of 210 and just slowly lean it out while staying the same weight. Effectively just changing my body composition. To me this is easier than up and down of it all. But I also get bored doing it this way. :( I always enjoyed having a goal. Getting huge or getting ripped. Trying it this way now.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
...and to clarify. I'm not talking about going from 25% body fat to 15%. When I say lean I'm talking sub 8% or whatever. And if your naturally ripped then extra fat won't help much and being ripped won't hinder much. But yes, in my experience, if you get ripped and your not naturally built that way it affects your reps. Muscles burn out faster and can't lift as much. That's my experience. Skimming the other posts though that's not everyone's.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
Additionally! Bulking at the same time of gaining muscle simply takes less thought. Your not doing math each day trying to accurately calc exactly how much food you need to gain muscle but not get fat. That is hard for many I would imagine. It's the poor mans bulk routine. The no brainer bulk routine. But as you mature physically, I at least, can hear my body just as if it had a voice and was telling me exactly what I needed and when I need it. Just saying.

Malevolence

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My main goal is always to add muscle followed by staying below 15% bf, if I start getting above that I switch my routine to lowering body fat. Strength is secondary to all of this. I am a body builder, not a weight lifter. Now my goals are contrary to some of the others here, but it seems even with the people who have the same goals we reach them doing slightly different routines due to genetics. My point is, if you are a weight lifter, power lifter and you carry extra body fat, then more power to ya.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
Has there ever been a strong man champ that had a lean body builder type body? That is proof of the answer

New Threads