Was bodybuilding better before the rise of social media?

Was bodybuilding better before the rise of social media?

• Yes

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of older bodybuilding stuff from the '90s and early '00s. Things were clearly a lot different 20 years ago, and it makes me wonder if the changes we've seen have been for the better or worse of bodybuilding, whether pro or amateur.

Some things I believe were better back then:

1. Better gym culture. I think social media mostly encourages attention seeking, annoying and stupid behaviors in the gym. There's a lot of entitlement now compared to back then, and much less etiquette.
  2. Gyms catered more to bodybuilders. Seeing what commerical gyms from 20-30 years ago were like (and having gone to one that closed down only recently), you realize how this is to the detriment of those who want to train hard. Companies nowadays go out of their way to not cater to bodybuilders. We're stuck with dimly lit, rubberized facilities that are not fun to lift weights in compared to gyms from the past.
  3. Only pros could act like pros. Without social media, your access to pro bodybuilders back then was through magazines and DVDs. With social media, now anyone can act like they're Mr. O material and build a following.
Here's what I believe is better now:
  • More information. Back then, people were subjected to ridiculous things like Cell Tech ads promising 30 pounds of lean muscle. In today's era, people are more knowledgeable about some basic things and as a result supplement companies and the bodybuilders who are sponsored by them have to be a little less ridiculous.

Overall, I think things were better back then. But maybe I'm looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. What do you guys think?

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Cell tech was scientific magic when it hit the scene. Like voodoo in a bottle. We all bought it. Not sure if any of us saw results

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Before social media made it possible to make money on your way up Kai Green had to fuck a grapefruit on film for gay dudes to beat their meat to in order to afford bodybuilding.

I'm going to say it's an overall positive.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I'm going to say no.
Bodybuilding (the sport) was certainly not better before social media.

Bodybuilding (the culture) is also better now than it ever has been because now it's less niche and more widespread. There is more shows now then ever, both amateur and pro, and it's easier than ever to get into the sport.

Bodybuilding (the business) is undeniably better now. Smart athletes that manage their social media presence are making more money then ever and the sport is no longer a economic loss for absolutely everyone besides the top 5 or so that won shows, leading to better and better competition.

Social media is a cancer and comes with a lot of bullshit, it gives people a voice that some have no right to have. But overall for bodybuilding I think it's an objective net positive

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Showing me age but I recall when the whole social media took off (MySpace, eventually Facebook, etc) and I's not understanding or following any of it. A mate explained it to me best he could: it's like everyone in the world suddenly has a newspaper and they're the editor in chief. Some are tabloid rags, some are valuable sources of info. Ye need to decide fer yerself which is which. I never got into it tbh, but it gave rise to forums like SI and others which I'm grateful for. 100% agree on the changes to gym culture. Tough to know how much of that to attribute to social media & how much simply to the evolution of the sport but fair to say there's been an impact.

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you define as "social media".

BB Forums are a literal form of social media, and have done wonders for the sport - as well as non-professional lifters. DC training wouldn't exist without Bodybuilding forums.

If by "social media", you mean Instagram, TikTok and whatever other nonsense? Then these have done more to hurt than help.
^doesn't just apply to Bodybuilding either.

Janoy Cresva

Reaction score
Pretty sure life in general was better before social media. Frank Zane was the peak of bodybuilding imo

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you define as "social media".

BB Forums are a literal form of social media, and have done wonders for the sport - as well as non-professional lifters. DC training wouldn't exist without Bodybuilding forums.

Fair point. I didn't even think of it.

I've read archives of music and pro wrestling forums that go all the way back to 1995. That would mean the rise of the world wide web and social media are essentially one in the same

If by "social media", you mean Instagram, TikTok and whatever other nonsense? Then these have done more to hurt than help.
^doesn't just apply to Bodybuilding either.

When people use terms like "advent of social media," they're usually referring to the rise of those platforms you mentioned, and the ones proceeding them (like MySpace). Not so much for things like forums or chat rooms, even though that would technically be correct as you pointed out.

Perhaps it's more about the rise of smartphones than social media?

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Social media is not the problem..people are the problem…you just didn’t have so many idiots with opinions before it. Imo people with Facebook and instagram and all that are just compensating for something they are lacking in life. I see it mostly in adults with no goals or hobbies. They get off work and scroll Facebook because they have nothing else going for them and since Facebook is readily available it’s what people resort to. People with goals or hobbies don’t have time for things that don’t matter.

Beti ona

Reaction score
I am a forum animal, I always hated social networks to spread or discuss serious topics related to bodybuilding.

That being said, the era of magazines was magical and mystical, there were many lies but the information and photographs about shows was more exclusive and difficult to find. Also about PEDs and everything else.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Social media is not the problem..people are the problem…you just didn’t have so many idiots with opinions before it. Imo people with Facebook and instagram and all that are just compensating for something they are lacking in life. I see it mostly in adults with no goals or hobbies. They get off work and scroll Facebook because they have nothing else going for them and since Facebook is readily available it’s what people resort to. People with goals or hobbies don’t have time for things that don’t matter.

I've known quite a few people like that. They've allowed their lives to revolve completely around things like politics and celebrity gossip. It's sad to see.

Forums may be considered "old school" but being a member of one shows you're passionate about a specific hobby/interest, which is a good thing.

I am a forum animal, I always hated social networks to spread or discuss serious topics related to bodybuilding.

That being said, the era of magazines was magical and mystical, there were many lies but the information and photographs about shows was more exclusive and difficult to find. Also about PEDs and everything else.

It seems like Muscular Development is the last muscle magazine standing. The problem is, I'm having a tough time finding it anywhere. I used to buy it at Harris Teeter, but they didn't have it the last couple times I was in there.

Flex being merged into Muscle & Fitness is a shame, but I pick up a copy when I see it somewhere. The store I work at only carries Men's Health which is more likely to give you tips on how to please a man than any genuine bodybuilding advice.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
The Original Social Media

When your sister starts yelling ... Mooom!!!

Running back to the house when you fuck up the landing and end up in a pile. Within minutes the entire neighborhood knew.

landing.jpg

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
It’s a double edged sword.

Social media has helped popularize bodybuilding and bring it into the mainstream. That’s ultimately good for the sport because popularity brings money and money means that the quality of shows is better and the prize money is more rewarding.

On the other hand, YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok etc. are essentially cancer to the bodybuilding community. For every Jordan Peters, John Meadows, Dave Tate etc. putting out quality content, you have a MPMD and his dbag army, the Tren Twins, David Laid and other assorted twats who are helping to turn gym culture into a joke. Gym Shark warriors, fucking “pump covers” and all of that nonsense hurt all of the progress that the sport has made.

New Threads